[book spoilers] PhD research thread: Mental images of THAT upcoming scene

I was More shocked by Catlyns death than Robbs. My first image of Catlyn dying looked exactly framed how Ned died in the "Balor" ep of the TV show:

- Cat on her knees, blood on her face. Camera angle from below with her head facing the top left of the frame, staring in grief and disbelief (Mirror image of Ned before he got beheaded). Throat being slit so quick with an imediate fade to black. **Or with an imediate cut to Arya's face (just like in the "Balor" scene, since its expected that Arya will be at the wedding scene in the show**

My mind focuses more on what wasn't explicitly described:

The troops in the tents set on fire.

What was happening to the Freys that weren't involved (Robb's Squire).

What really happened to Grey Wind after he was released (sure almost everyone believes he was actually killed but I haven't been fully convinced since it's never actually observed in a PoV).

Thanks everyone, keep those answers coming.

It is an awesome project, isn't it? Though I might be a little biased towards it.

I'm quite glad that I know this scene is coming. If I had to watch it for the first time as a TV viewer without knowing that it was going to happen I don't know how I'd react. Knowing my luck I wouldn't have been able to avoid the spoilers though.

This is all very helpful, thanks!

While my own answer isn't as detailed as everyone else's, I have enjoyed reading all the responses.

Well done. Great Thread, TS.

Need I say the 'Wolf's Head'.

That's about it.

*BTW, I have to admit that I swore they'd find a way to keep Robb around until at least season 4. I was wrong. So wrong.

I was so sure they would do the Red Wedding in Season 4, that I was seriously depressed for a whole day when I found out they put it in Season 3.

Initial reaction: I remember being totally captured while reading the scene. It is really well developed and written. (I actually fear that the television medium won't build up as well as the written.) However, I don't recall the shock that many mention. (Ned's death threw me for an absolute loop...I think I have been protecting myself as a reader ever since.)

Mental image: I have not read it for awhile but I have a mental image of crossbows on a balcony. Not even sure if it is in there. The musicians drop instrument and pick up crossbows?

That and the wolf's head.

To be completely honest I am terrible at remembering details. The benefit is that I enjoy rereads much more!

For some reason I vividly remember Cat's description of Roose Bolton sitting next to her, barely talking and picking at his food, and the growing bizarre sense of it, as people were getting up and leaving and the discovery of mail underneath the serving person's clothes. At this point I was still wondering what was going on, and then my shock when the attack broke out.

Cat's quick instincts and her jumping right into the fight, diving in to drag Jinglebells out from under the table and her desperation to regain control of the situation. In my mind, the other fighting was kind of greyed out in the background. Then Grey Wind's howling in the distance, and then the sharp image of Robb being stabbed at the other end of the room, standing out alone, and the horrible realization that he wouldn't get away. Most vivid of Cat then is not her plea about her hair but her dropping to her knees and clawing at her face.

With Arya and the Hound, what was so vivid to me was that first sight of the festivity in the tents surrounding the castle, then the ensuing horror as the tents went up in flames -- and that she was gut-wrenchingly (if that's a word) once again robbed of her chance to reunite with her mother, even though she'd gotten so close this time. When the chapter ended with her being hit in the back of the head by the Hound, I thought she was a goner, too.

When I was reading A Storm of Swords, my friend, who had already read the books, kept saying I was coming up to a pivotal moment. One night, I was in bed, reading, and he text me asking where I was. I replied "Robb and co. have just gotten to The Twins." I really didn't expect it to be anything special. I thought "Edmure's wedding? How entertaining can that be?"

My principle feelings during reading that chapter were confusion, I have to admit. I was rushing through the book, desperate to see what happened, and when Robb first got attacked, I had to go back and read again. I don't have the book to hand, but it says something like "a quarrel sprouted from Robb's chest." So sudden. Then, shit started going down, and I couldn't believe it. I was horrified.

Also, when Cat starts to go mad, and talks about red worms crawling down her arms and ravens raking at her face, I was confused until I got the horrible meaning behind it.

I didn't realise that the man who killed Robb was Roose Bolton until much later.

What were your initial reactions when you first read the scene?

Somewhat anger and surprise. GRRM did a great job of building up the tension through Cat, but once they ate I kind of felt better. I was pretty shocked at Cat being killed also, since normally the women are spared.

What are the most vivid mental images you have of it?

Cat going bat shit crazy and killing the Frey. The look on Robbs face as the blade comes out his chest. Grey Wolf/Robb mix.

How do you think it would have been described from a different point of view than Cat’s or Arya’s?

Not nearly as impactful. Using Cat he was able to convey her fears and emotion, the fact that she believed the last of her children was dying before her eyes.

The only other one could've been Lord Frey. Getting a glimpse in his smarmy rotten head may have been entertaining. Had he written half the RW using Cat's POV and then rewritten the same half using Lord Walder until it's bloody conclusion may have been effective.

How do you imagine the scene will play out on screen?

Hopefully very emotionally. Thinking it will be a few scenes. Initially the approach and Grey Winds distrust, Cat picking up on it. The initial entry and Cat basically begging for food, her relief once they eat. Then the final scene when it happens.

How much (if at all) are you looking forward to the scene? Can you say why?

I will be glad when it's over so people will stop trying to spoil it for everyone online. You can't see anything about AGOT without seeing people saying, you know they all die right!!!!

The main thing I am not looking forward to is coming on here and seeing the endless bitching about how they ruined it. No matter how well the scene is played out on tv there will be no pleasing the majority on this board.

I just want to watch it and appreciate it for what it is.

BTW, my book throwing moment was when Jon Snow was stabbed. I identified with him from the beginning so his "death" meant way more than Robb and Cat.

Evening everyone (well, it's evening for me).

I saw the trailer for this episode the other day, and was really surprised at the lack of specific foreboding. It seemed like there was an amping up of tension, but for anyone who doesn't know that the RW is coming, it's going to be just as much of a shock to them as it was in the book, isn't it?

Actually a Tywin POV about how we got to the RW would be fascinating

Now that would be interesting! I'm finidng Tywin more and more interesting this season, whereas in the books he seems to pretty much have passed me by.

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE

If D & D gave the Starks a little bit of love, by allowing Cat to somehow see Arya in her dying moments.

Nice, yes. And heartbreaking too. Can't say I'm expecting much in the way of 'nice' though.

While my own answer isn't as detailed as everyone else's, I have enjoyed reading all the responses.

Well done. Great Thread, TS.

Thank you. Don't worry about how detailed (or not) your answers may be. I'm really hoping that these questions start to spark some discussions in a direction that I may not have anticipated.

To be completely honest I am terrible at remembering details. The benefit is that I enjoy rereads much more!

Ha, yes! Me too. I always notice more on re-reads... it's just that it takes so darn long to read a book than it does to watch a show.

I've always wondered what these chapters would have been like if told from the perspectives of Robb and Edmure. I think having a P.O.V. from anyone on the other side would have destroyed what made the chapter so compelling in the first place - the shock and surprise, namely. In any case, I think having Catelyn and Arya as the P.O.V.'s work out perfectly, but those two could have been interesting, as well. Don't have much time at the moment to respond to the other question, but some really interesting reading in this thread.

I actually had a dream about this scene a couple nights ago and its my first Game of Thrones dream ever. Jinglebell and Patchface were merged in my dream and performing the wedding ceremony and some word he says cues the betrayal, almost in a demon like voice. Obviously, not how it went down in the book or will on tv, but man, that dream was creepy.

Cat desperately clinging to hope has she held the knife to jinglebell's throat.

The rage of greatjon

Robb having one of the most amazingly horrific deaths ever.

I hope that the greywind/robb head swap is part of either the next episode or s4.

Im so excited. Please do this right

Archived