[BOOK SPOILERS] Season 5 episode 9 event?

KamiShikkaku

I think people need to start accepting that both Feast & Dance are going to be covered mostly within one season. By season six, the show will be nearly full-on into The Winds of Winter (though some material from ADwD may show up early on in the season).

I could see episode nine being the battle of Meereen, for season five. They aren't going to save a set piece like that for the beginning of a season (that's a position that the battle in the north will assume), and it's a good way to resolve such a disparate season - with the promise that these story threads are going to start coming together. And another epic battle sequence, on top of that.

I also think that the assassination of Jon Snow is more of a season finale style cliff-hanger than an episode nine type of moment. There's been a lot of debate about what's actually happening with Jon, and what's going to happen with the Watch and the wildlings, now that this has happened. This is the type of cliff-hanger that works best; shocking, but not definitive. It would generate a lot of discussion among non-readers, to be sure (though I doubt that too many of them would truly believe he's dead, such as is the case with the majority of book readers).

How, if they've already used Bran, Arya and Sansa's TWOW chapters in season 6? Or do you think that those characters (and other more minor ones) will have substantially more chapters than Jon, Dany or Tyrion?

Just don't have them in as many episodes, spread out their material more and expand on existing material or invent material where necessary. Tyrion had three times the number of chapters that Daenerys did in book 2, but they still finished their material at the same time.

As for those three examples: Bran is easy to invent stuff for. Arya wouldn't enter TWoW until mid season 6 which would be roughly the same time as King's Landing and Oldtown, and GRRM has said that he could write a book about her adventures in Braavos so she should also be easy to invent stuff for. As for Sansa, all indications are that she will have more chapters in TWoW than Bran and Arya, and that her stuff will be action packed. I don't think it would be difficult to spread her stuff.

They shouldn't truncate or weaken the longer/stronger storylines so that the fit with the weakest storylines, that would be terrible for the show as a whole. They should strengthen the weaker/shorter stuff so that they can do justice to the stronger material.

I think people need to start accepting that both Feast & Dance are going to be covered mostly within one season. By season six, the show will be nearly full-on into The Winds of Winter (though some material from ADwD may show up early on in the season).

We shall see. Season 5 ending in roughly the same place as AFfC, with the remaining ADwD stuff taking up about half of season 6, still lines up more with everything D&D have said and done thus far. And from a practicality standpoint, to get every storyline where it would need to be for season 5 to finish ADwD they would have to have an extended season or cut out major storylines altogether (which they essentially have already said they aren't going to do).

Why some and not all? They can twist the cronology a bit, but not too much because otherwise the stories will go out of sync (and hopefully, characters should start slowly reuniting and having and impact on each other's storylines).

If some characters are into WoW stuff by season 6 and others are still in ADWD, what happens in season 7?

Basically what Ser Tahu said. The timelines get a little funky in the 4th and 5th books anyway, and I wouldn't mind seeing some totally made up stuff for the Stark kids. For instance, is there a non-shitty way to make it seem like Ramsay really is going to marry Arya?

Basically what Ser Tahu said. The timelines get a little funky in the 4th and 5th books anyway, and I wouldn't mind seeing some totally made up stuff for the Stark kids. For instance, is there a non-shitty way to make it seem like Ramsay really is going to marry Arya?

Yeah it seems like that storyline would be better if it were actually Arya instead of a fake. Hypothelically you probably could synchronize those two storylines to make real Arya the captive.

Yeah it seems like that storyline would be better if it were actually Arya instead of a fake. Hypothelically you probably could synchronize those two storylines to make real Arya the captive.

I just meant make it seem to the viewer like that's what's going to happen. If it could be done in a non-shitty way.

I was talking about changing that part so that Theon meets fake Arya somewhere in season 5, and before that Arya is offscreen. Or something like that.

But then you don't really leave enough time to see Arya's FM training. I see what you are saying and how it would be good, but I don't think its plausible unfortunately :(

Then, as many have theorized, AFFC/ADDW have about two seasons' worth of material between them (although not necessarily two seasons' worth for each character, as it is spread over so many, but that's another story).

my friend,you're not thinking this through. each book is big enough enough for two season, and there is no way they can put everything between these two books in two seasons. my guess it will be three(hopefully 4) they also need to slow the pace down A LOT or they will outstrip GRRM by YEARS. so the big event of season 5 will probs be halfway through the story

my friend,you're not thinking this through. each book is big enough enough for two season, and there is no way they can put everything between these two books in two seasons. my guess it will be three(hopefully 4) they also need to slow the pace down A LOT or they will outstrip GRRM by YEARS. so the big event of season 5 will probs be halfway through the story

They are going to outstrip GRRM by years, anyone that's not delusional has realized that. There are a number of people (my self included) that believe that both books can and will be crunched into one season. Most believe that it will be more like 1.5 seasons with much of the early Winds of Winter materiel worked into season 6. Some think that it will be a full 2 seasons. Anyone that thinks it will be 3+ seasons is completely divorced from reality. Three seasons of AFfC/ADwD leaves at most 2 seasons for the TWoW and ADoS because D&D have specically ruled out 10 seasons, more likely it leaves just one season because 8 season is more likely than 9.

They are going to outstrip GRRM by years, anyone that's not delusional has realized that. There are a number of people (my self included) that believe that both books can and will be crunched into one season. Most believe that it will be more like 1.5 seasons with much of the early Winds of Winter materiel worked into season 6. Some think that it will be a full 2 seasons. Anyone that thinks it will be 3+ seasons is completely divorced from reality. Three seasons of AFfC/ADwD leaves at most 2 seasons for the TWoW and ADoS because D&D have specically ruled out 10 seasons, more likely it leaves just one season because 8 season is more likely than 9.

once they do that,then what? they cant make any more season,unless what i heard is true and the show's story takes a hiatus and for a season or two they show events and shit from before season 1, but even if they do do that it cant go on forever,there will be more time to wait for the final book to come out. and i doubt GRRm will let them show stuff in the show before the books come out

once they do that,then what? they cant make any more season,unless what i heard is true and the show's story takes a hiatus and for a season or two they show events and shit from before season 1, but even if they do do that it cant go on forever,there will be more time to wait for the final book to come out. and i doubt GRRm will let them show stuff in the show before the books come out

They've been told the broad stokes and important details of what is going to happen. GRRM signed away his ability to stop them from putting future events into the show the moment he signed over the rights. No company is going to buy the rights to half a book, even if said book is only half finished.

They've been told the broad stokes and important details of what is going to happen. GRRM signed away his ability to stop them from putting future events into the show the moment he signed over the rights. No company is going to buy the rights to half a book, even if said book is only half finished.

i hope your wrong,i really do,because that would suck so much. i dont want to get spoiled watching the show,which isnt really spoiling,but i like reading the books more. its faster and a lot more detailed

i hope your wrong,i really do,because that would suck so much. i dont want to get spoiled watching the show,which isnt really spoiling,but i like reading the books more. its faster and a lot more detailed

The only thing that can prevent the show from getting is GRRM and even then only by writing faster.

In George RR Martin's words: “I think the odds against that happening are very long,” Martin says when asked about the show catching up to his novels. “I still have a lead of several gigantic books. If they include everything in the books, I don’t think they’re going to catch up with me."

If they include everything?

GRRM wrote "If is a word for fools"

It takes GRRM two pages to describe the meal that Tyrion and Ilyrio eat. It will take no time at all for the show to show it sitting on the table.

I know I'm in the minority, but I really like this being Jon's cliffhanger. Whether in S5E09 or S5E10, it should be the last thing we see at the Wall. If we book readers had to wait potentially 4 years to know if Jon lives or is dead, I think the show-onlys can bear 9 months.

Just like book readers had to wait patiently for one year between the RW and PW? Can't tell me it took a year to read 100 pages.

Also, let's not forget all those fears - that have been expressed by many, even on this forum - that the show is catching up with GRRM. Keeping Characters like Quentyn could help to avoid that.

The only thing that can prevent the show from getting is GRRM and even then only by writing faster.

GRRM is the only one that has the power to prevent the show from catching him, the show has a consistent pace and it must follow it or risk being cancelled.

Game of Thrones was one season, Clash of Kings was one season and Storm of Swords is the largest book and it did not take two full seasons to get through.

Remember that FFCs and DwDs are one book. With so much filler that they had to be split into two books, but in truth they are one book.

Characters have to progress somewhere in the show or it gets boring and most characters go no where in DwDs and FFCs respectively.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree with those of you saying AFFC and ADWD will be just one season. It's nearly impossible. Yes, not much happens but enough happens that in no possible way it can be forced into 10 episodes (maybe a little more, if they're doing some early stuff in S03). There's gonna be like ten different storylines which needs enough time to develop. Remember, us fans may get the hang of it but if they force too much storylines and stuff into a small number of episodes without enough development, it's gonna confuse the fans who haven't read the books.

I think it's much more possible if we'll see AFFC and ADWD + some parts of TWOW in seasons 5 and 6. I could see the battle of Meereen being 6.09 (it contains more character we care about than the battle of the North, and it will continue the 'a battle in episode 9 every even numbered season'-thing).

Season 4 will finish ASOS and will start AFFC and ADWD arcs of several characters, most likely Bran and maybe Sansa, Daennerys and bits of Theon.

By the end of Season 5, Bran and Sansa are likely to have exhausted their book material from AFFC/ADWD and at least one of the battles of the beginning of TWOW will have be at the end of the season for budget reasons. So I'd say season 6 will warp up whichever arcs are still in AFFC/ADWD and will go into TWOW. Whether they can fit TWOW and ADOS in two seasons or they'll need an 8th season is unknown, as the books aren't finished yet.

...at least one of the battles of the beginning of TWOW will have be at the end of the season for budget reasons.

If that's so, then I guess the battle of Meereen, since GRRM is reading so many BoM chapters from TWOW. That would put Dany's flight from the Pit in 7 or 8. I guess that's doable. But I'm one who thought we see pigeon pie at the end of 3 here.

Archived