Characters from the book to the show

Queen of the Andals

I’m sure that most of you read the story and imagine what characters look like based on their description. I have had an image of Daario in my mind since reading ASOS and was really picturing a man with long blue hair, wild facial hair, of course those golden teeth and saw a sexy pirate looking man, maybe like a Jack Sparrow and after book crushing on him I was really let down when Darrio made his first appearance in the new episode. Has anyone else gone through this? What was the biggest disappointment you experienced with the casting?

Oh I've got quite a few, purely based on how I imagined them to look and not based on how well they act/portray characters. when I re read the books now, some of the characters I imagine as the actors who play them but some I imagine them how I originally imagined them.

Asha/Yara was my biggest disappointment, totally different to how I imagined her!

Jorah is different in my minds eye too.

I think most of the casting is bang on though, even if they dont look exactly as described in the book. Funny thing is I imagine Jojen as they guy who plays him whilst first reading the book.

I happen to like show Daario more than I ever did with his book version.

Me too. Looking less like Krusty is a good thing.

So far, the three Greyjoys shown on telly don't really mesh. They all look like they're from different families and not one of those are the Greyjoys.

Oh I've got quite a few, purely based on how I imagined them to look and not based on how well they act/portray characters. when I re read the books now, some of the characters I imagine as the actors who play them but some I imagine them how I originally imagined them.

Asha/Yara was my biggest disappointment, totally different to how I imagined her!

Jorah is different in my minds eye too.

I think most of the casting is bang on though, even if they dont look exactly as described in the book. Funny thing is I imagine Jojen as they guy who plays him whilst first reading the book.

Yeah, I agree that most of the casting has been great. This was the first time I was really disappointed when I saw someone. I love the comment about Jojen, he was the perfect choice for the part!

Me too. Looking less like Krusty is a good thing.

So far, the three Greyjoys shown on telly don't really mesh. They all look like they're from different families and not one of those are the Greyjoys.

I think that the lack of krust was my issue lol I love dirty looking men and really had a different image. They made him more Brad Pitt when I expected Jack Sparrow or Rob Zombie

I think both Bronn and the Hound were a let down to me because I saw them as 22-28ish in age and both tall, dark, and handsome men. Of course the hound had his scars but I seem to recall someone saying he was would have been handsome if it wernt for his scars.

Jon snow was also a let down... I think the actor looks too sad and a bit like a wiener lol I think Jon should have had more of a playful sence of humor like in the books. I don't see the T.V Jon as being a leader or a hero.

Ramsay, I had a vivid picture of him in my minds eye, Iwan Rheon just doesn't fulfil it. The kid plays a good crazy, but dissapointed nonetheless. IIRC Ramsay is 'fleshy', fat lips, long dark hair, with the pale eyes of Roose.

Edit: And in the books, It always seemed he was rather scary looking, Iwan looks too young imo.

Tbh I felt like Daario's 'larger than life' description in the books seemed rather unrealistic. I'm currently reserving judgement on the show Daario until we see his relationship with Dany develop. Also prefer show Ramsay to book Ramsay so far.

Characters that I thought fit perfectly:

Tywin, they nailed him, and I always thought Dance would make a perfect Tywin

Olenna - Diana Rigg is exactly what I imagined the QOT to be.

Theon - I kind of ignored Theon's book description and had my own image of him, and Alfie Allen just happened to fit it perfectly.

Characters that weren't what I expected/imagined, but worked anyway:

Jon - my image of him couldn't have been more different, but I think Kit Harrington has grown into the role well.

Melisandre - I imagined her all curves and bundles of red hair, and the slighter, older looking Carice van Houten put me off at first, but I've gotten used to her, and now feel she fits the role much better than my book version of her.

Characters that were huge disappointments:

Renly - frail and totally lacking charisma

Yara/Asha - The first description of her we get is from her own brother, who names her "a beauty". Dunno what they were thinking going with the gruff, cold, dry actor they cast

I happen to like show Daario more than I ever did with his book version.

I'm very vocal about my Daario hate here but I won't lie, in his first couple scenes in the newest episode I thought "hey, Daario on the show actually isn't that big of a douchebag"...then they got to his final scene.

Renly! I had this picture of someone insanely handsome like Henry Cavill or Matt Bomer in my mind. Someone with a powerful screen-presence, a lot of natural charm and grace. It's not that i think Gethin Anthony is a bad actor, but I was dissapointed, cause in my mind Renly looked like this: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0147147/

or this:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093589/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Overall though, I think the show is remarkably well cast.

Archived