[BOOK SPOILERS] Kevan Lannister

Archmaester

Ian Gelder is a reasonably well-known British actor (maybe not name-wise, but he has a recognisable face and shows up fairly regularly; he had a notable recurring role in the Torchwood Children of Earth mini-series). I expect he'll be back as Kevan and have some good material. Recasting him would be a bigger deal than recasting someone like Beric.

He only had one line. He's very replaceable. He had about the same as S1 Beric Dondarrian, and they replaced him.

He had multiple lines in two episodes. In You Win or You Die he swears the Night's Watch oath with Sam and Jon and sees Ghost come back with the wight's hand. In The Pointy End he's part of the group that investigates the corpses in Castle Black's courtyard, and confirms their lack of smell when Sam brings it up.

However, officially Brian Fortune was playing 'Night's Watch Officer'. He was apparently told off-the-cuff by someone that it was Bowen Marsh, but he was not credited as such in offical documentation. It'd be easy for them to 'recast' by simply bringing in another actor and say he was Bowen Marsh all along. You could even keep Brian Fortune in the same role, but give him a new name or simply leave him unnamed.

• 9 months later...

So, any word if Ian Gelder is returning as Kevan Lannister? And Eugene Simon as Lancel?

Their omission from Season 3 was disappointing. If they cut both of them, especially after introducing them in Season 1 and 2, I'm gonna be super pissed. It's not as if the pointless brothel scenes and stupid bromance scenes between Tyrion and Bronn regarding Pod's sexual prowess was better spent then having Kevan and Lancel play some part. What's the point of introducing them in the first two seasons if not to have them feature?

I believe Eugene Simons has statated he would not be back for Season 4.

Ian Gelder, on the other hand, has not made any statement regarding Game of Thrones. The only thing I could figure out regarding his re-appearance is following picture: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/969800_533511423365281_927507242_n.jpg
I'm really not sure whether the man in the middle can be Kevan because we see Jack Gleeson also being in the picture.

I was really hoping to see Kevan Lannister becomming a recurring character again as they need to build him up as Tywin 2.0, yet with a humane side, so his death has an overly importing impact on the fall of House Lannister. Moreover, Season 4 would have been the best opportunity to establish him since the amount of new characters is probably the lowest. Season 5 will have loads of new characters, new locations and new storylines; so re-estabishing him this season would have helped slacken the amount of new + recurring characters.

I don't think Kevan needs much establishing. He can show up once Tywin dies, and it would work out fine. I hope he's around though, I know some people have theorised someone else might take his place, but I can't really imagine Cersei's arc without him.

Ian Gelder, on the other hand, has not made any statement regarding Game of Thrones. The only thing I could figure out regarding his re-appearance is following picture: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/969800_533511423365281_927507242_n.jpg

I'm really not sure whether the man in the middle can be Kevan because we see Jack Gleeson also being in the picture.

Where is Jack? To the right of Mace Tyrell? To me the face looks a bit too full for Jack and could be Tommen perhaps?

Where is Jack? To the right of Mace Tyrell? To me the face looks a bit too full for Jack and could be Tommen perhaps?

Yeah, I would have guessed so.

I don't think Kevan needs much establishing. He can show up once Tywin dies, and it would work out fine. I hope he's around though, I know some people have theorised someone else might take his place, but I can't really imagine Cersei's arc without him.

Well, in my opinion it would just seem weird, if Tywin's brother appeared just as he died. Kevan is Tywin's chief adviser, his most trusted person. I do hope Tywin orders him to King's Landing, now that Joffrey has been murdered with Tywin being right there. Maybe he will need some trustful advisors.

Well, in my opinion it would just seem weird, if Tywin's brother appeared just as he died. Kevan is Tywin's chief adviser, his most trusted person. I do hope Tywin orders him to King's Landing, now that Joffrey has been murdered with Tywin being right there. Maybe he will need some trustful advisors.

I hope so too. With Tywin still having to deal with Stannis and Balon and being in a potentially weaker position with the demise of Joffrey, it is a good time to reaffirm Lannister dominance with the audience by bringing Kevan back into the picture now. They can also have him make a report on the state of the Riverlands/Westerlands post Stark rebellion if they feel the need too.

However, officially Brian Fortune was playing 'Night's Watch Officer'. He was apparently told off-the-cuff by someone that it was Bowen Marsh, but he was not credited as such in offical documentation. It'd be easy for them to 'recast' by simply bringing in another actor and say he was Bowen Marsh all along. You could even keep Brian Fortune in the same role, but give him a new name or simply leave him unnamed.

Wow, this was amazingly spot on given what did happen (Brian Fortune allowed to retain a role on the show, with him now being Othell Yarwyck instead of Bowen Marsh).

I was really hoping to see Kevan Lannister becomming a recurring character again as they need to build him up as Tywin 2.0, yet with a humane side, so his death has an overly importing impact on the fall of House Lannister. Moreover, Season 4 would have been the best opportunity to establish him since the amount of new characters is probably the lowest. Season 5 will have loads of new characters, new locations and new storylines; so re-estabishing him this season would have helped slacken the amount of new + recurring characters.

I've seen that picture before. That's definitely not Ian Gelder in there. Way too big.W

Where did Eugene Simons say he wasn't going to be back?

I've seen that picture before. That's definitely not Ian Gelder in there. Way too big.W

Where did Eugene Simons say he wasn't going to be back?

Well, but the man in the picture has this unique armor that Kevan also wore in Season 1: http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/_assets/uploads/26166.jpg

I think he was interviewed and stated that he wanted to be back but he didn't get an invitation for Season 4.

Well, but the man in the picture has this unique armor that Kevan also wore in Season 1: http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/_assets/uploads/26166.jpg

I think he was interviewed and stated that he wanted to be back but he didn't get an invitation for Season 4.

He is wearing Kevan's armour from Season 1, but the man pictured there is larger than Ian Gelder and his face when zoomed in looks nothing like him. Maybe a re-cast?

I see no reason to remove or replace Kevan at all. He's a vital part of the story and plays a major part of opposing Cersei after Tommen ascends to the throne. You have to remember that a great number of the characters currently in King's Landing will no longer be there at the end of Series 4/start of Series 5. Of the one's which spring to mind, Tywin, Oberyn and Joffrey will be dead, Tyrion fleeing across the narrow sea and Sansa stolen-away to the Vale. What the writers will do will Jaime, Brienne, Bronn, Podrick and some of the others remains to be seen, but if they stick closely to the story they will all be leaving the capital at some point.

The departure of all these characters and the creation of a void around the Iron Throne gives a great opportunity to reintroduce Kevan and also Lancel to the viewers, setting the characters up for the roles they play in the future.

Archived