[BOOK SPOILERS] Kevan Lannister

Archmaester

And how would cut and merge Kevan? And merged with who? He has a fairly big role post-Tywin.

It now occurs to me that Jaime will probably get Kevan's role in Tyrion's trial - i.e. trying to canvass witnesses, talking to Tyrion about his situation, etc. I mean, he is in KL and there is nothing else for him to do except quarrel with Tywin and train with Brienne (instead of Ilyn Payne, I presume) until Tyrion's rescue.

So, maybe they will somehow merge Kevan partly with Jaime and partly with Pycelle. I mean, maester Luwin was in charge of Winterfell after the older Starks left, the viewers will think nothing of Pycelle being in charge once Cersei gets imprisoned.

It now occurs to me that Jaime will probably get Kevan's role in Tyrion's trial - i.e. trying to canvass witnesses, talking to Tyrion about his situation, etc. I mean, he is in KL and there is nothing else for him to do except quarrel with Tywin and train with Brienne (instead of Ilyn Payne, I presume) until Tyrion's rescue.

So, maybe they will somehow merge Kevan partly with Jaime and partly with Pycelle. I mean, maester Luwin was in charge of Winterfell after the older Starks left, the viewers will think nothing of Pycelle being in charge once Cersei gets imprisoned.

I think Jaime will have Kevan's role in the trial, but he can't take Kevan's role beyond that for obvious reasons i.e. Jaime sees himself as a soldier, he doesn't want to rule so he would never be the hand or regent and it's one of the main reasons why he and Cersei fall out (unless they change his characterisation and I wouldn't put it past them), and also as much as he falls apart from Cersei he would not let her go through the walk, and for Cersei is a big deal the fact that she goes through with it without any family to support her.. Pycelle could take the Kevan role post-Tywin of course, but why would Cersei offer such a major position to Pycelle instead of wanting a Lannister there? However, it could work so they might just do that.

Pycelle could take the Kevan role post-Tywin of course, but why would Cersei offer such a major position to Pycelle instead of wanting a Lannister there? However, it could work so they might just do that.

But Kevan didn't accept the Handship from Cersei. IIRC, she didn't have a Hand at all until she got herself imprisoned. So, the show can easily have Cersei rule without a Hand and then Pycelle would wind up in charge by default once she is arrested. For viewers there is a precedent with Luwin in Winterfell.

Pycelle is pro-Lannister, so he would pretty much fit into Kevan's mold re: the Walk, regretful that this is happening to Tywin's daughter, but convinced that it has to be done. Etc. It could work quite well and conserve characters, while giving more prominent ones more to do.

I really liked Kevan in the books, but the chance to establish his character has been passed over in favor of giving Arya screen time. Now Jaime, another beloved character, needs more to do and Kevan's part in the trial would fit him. Finally, the few scenes he has in ADwD can be filled by Pycelle, who even gets killed together with him.

IMHO, it would make perfect sense for the show-runners to cut Kevan completely and it wouldn't change the narrative nearly as much as some of the previous changes.

plus Martyn and Willem's deaths at the hands of Rickard Karstark could surely have provided the ideal excuse to bring him up again (they are his sons after all).

in the tv show Martyn and Willem are not Kevan's sons

I believe Robb says something like they're Tywin's father's brother's grand grandchildren

where are Kevan and Lancel? at Castelry Rock of course

But Kevan didn't accept the Handship from Cersei. IIRC, she didn't have a Hand at all until she got herself imprisoned. So, the show can easily have Cersei rule without a Hand and then Pycelle would wind up in charge by default once she is arrested. For viewers there is a precedent with Luwin in Winterfell.

Pycelle is pro-Lannister, so he would pretty much fit into Kevan's mold re: the Walk, regretful that this is happening to Tywin's daughter, but convinced that it has to be done. Etc. It could work quite well and conserve characters, while giving more prominent ones more to do.

I really liked Kevan in the books, but the chance to establish his character has been passed over in favor of giving Arya screen time. Now Jaime, another beloved character, needs more to do and Kevan's part in the trial would fit him. Finally, the few scenes he has in ADwD can be filled by Pycelle, who even gets killed together with him.

IMHO, it would make perfect sense for the show-runners to cut Kevan completely and it wouldn't change the narrative nearly as much as some of the previous changes.

Yes, it might work and not change characters and the plot too much, it's true. Pitch this idea to them, before they come up with something else and ruin it :laugh:

I don't think Kevan will be cut or merged, other wise why mention him in the first place. His role in the first few books could easily be taken by nameless bannermen, so to me this suggests that they kept him in with the aim of using him for an expanded role in season's 4 and 5. It is of course possible that they've had a change of heart and a different vision now but I hope not. It would be a shame if characters like Lancel and Kevan were cut from the show after already being introduced.

They don't really need Kevan this season and I seriously doubt they will cut him totally.

I'm expecting them to re-introduce him at the purple wedding next season and give him a small role in the small council.

In season 5 he will probably play a prominent role in the kings landing storyline to play up the growing schism between the Lannisters, leaving midway through the season after clashing with Cersei then returning at the end of the season to assume the regency when she is arrested.

In season 6 he can be a prominent player in The kings landing storyline till he is killed off by Varys.

If there's one thing this show is great at its giving minor characters a presence despite limited screen time.

I'm holding out for Lancel... I thought the actor they choose was really good in the role... We need to see him a few times suffering badly from his injuries, before he gets religion... The PW might be ideal for this.

I will start by saying that I do enjoy Kevan Lannister a little and yes they should have mentioned him, but I'm sorry I would rather have a little more (or any actually) mythology on the show.

-No Ned's dream / TOJ ( I dont know how viewers would ever learn about this without Ned)

-No KOtLT story

-No Harrenhal Tourny / ..when all the smiles died

-Not a glimspe of Rhaegar and not a peep of TPtwP

-We ge AA and the Red God shoveled down our throats but no mention that AA reborn's main actual function is to Kill the white walkers.

I dont think viewers have any connection to Raegar at this point in the series where as by now halfway through Storm we all had assertion as to what kind of person he was. Theres this added layer of mystery that the viewer just cant get, if they showed us Rhaegar "theres must be another" in HoTU than every viewer would know that one of our regulars is a Targaryen.

The ommisions of various lannisters was kinda weird especially Tommen he had a nice moment last season.

I think they can merge his part in part by Jaime (Tyrion's trial) and later with Pycelle. If they include Cersei's threat to Pycelle to trow him in the dungeons, he would have reason to force Cersei to do the walk.

Joffrey is going to be getting married here this next season so we may be seeing him soon.

As for someone's comment about us not having Bowen Marsh, I believe we see him in S1 when the recruits are being put into rangers, builders, and stewards.

Bowen Marsh is going to get recast. He was played by an extra in S1.

Kevan and Lancel will probably be back. Tommen will probably be recast since his actor grew up (I think that's the reason he was excluded in S3). Greatjon and Alliser Thorne were both cut apparently as their actors said something about not being asked back.

I don't see why they would cut Kevan since his actor is probably paid piddles compared to others. The role is treated as an extremely minor one.

I agree with Bowen Marsh and Tommen likely being recast (and probably Myrcella if/when she shows up again).

Thorne won't be back because the actor playing him is committed to another show. As far as I can tell Ian Gelder and Eugene Simon (Kevan and Lancel) are free to come back if the show chooses to bring them back. Same goes for Dominic Carter (Janos Slynt).

I think it's pretty likely that both Kevan and Lancel will appear again early next season; they'll probably arrive back in King's Landing right before Joffrey's wedding. As far as re-casting Tommen and/or Bowen Marsh - definitely don't think this will be done with the former, and don't really see why they would need to with the latter. Brian Fortune is a good local actor, who has just one other upcoming project in the pipeline (though several are in post-production), so I could see him reprising the role, considering it probably won't be a huge part anyway.

The reason I'd say it's unlikely that Tommen (and Myrcella, as well) will be re-cast is that the two of them (Callum Wharry & Aimee Richardson) often attend local (in Ireland) Game of Thrones conventions, exhibits and the like (especially Richardson), so it would seem to me that they'll be around for a while

Bowen Marsh is going to get recast. He was played by an extra in S1.

Kevan and Lancel will probably be back. Tommen will probably be recast since his actor grew up (I think that's the reason he was excluded in S3). Greatjon and Alliser Thorne were both cut apparently as their actors said something about not being asked back.

I don't see why they would cut Kevan since his actor is probably paid piddles compared to others. The role is treated as an extremely minor one.

Really? I heard that about the greatjon but where did you read that about Thorne?

Archived