Shireen's Heir

ophie

Assuming Stannis dies and Shireen "inherits" the throne (though some underage blonde bastard is keeping it warm for her), succession becomes a grey area.

1. There is a precedent of a Lord giving his lands and titles to his ward, which was one option for the Hornwood inheritance and one of the strongest claimants for Gyles Rosby's inheritance was his ward. I recall reading somewhere that John Arryn had originally planned on making Robert Baratheon or Ned Stark his heir before the Rebellion, but circumstances obviously changed with them both inheriting Lordships in their own rights and Lysa giving birth to young Robbert.
  2. Bastards have no legal rights per law and tradition. A royal decree doesn't change this, it just changes one's status as a bastard. Sort of like how annulment isn't a divorce (which ends a marriage), it a decree the marriage never existed in the first place. Catelyn was spot on when she said legitimizing Jon put him ahead of all his trueborn syblings, Robb just thought they were dead or married to Lannisters. Still, when heirs are in short supply, just giving the lands to the bastard can be a way to solve an otherwise prickly problem.
  3. Alternatively, find the distant cousins. However, this works best when the lineage can be traced back to someone else who held the titles. For example, Harold Hardyung can trace his lineage back to Jasper Arryn, a former Lord of the Vale. Problem is, Robert Baratheon was the first Baratheon to sit on the Iron Throne. Any distant cousin dug up for him would be a descendant of a Lord of Storm's End, not a Baratheon of King's Landing.
  4. None of these options are more obviously legal than the others. It would come down to who could make a better candidate that people would want to see in that position and who would have the force to back their claim.

Edric Storm is kind of in a strange spot. If he is legitimized, then theoretically he would inherit King Robert's crown before Stannis, since a son comes before a brother, to say nothing of a niece. Plus, he's on another continent.

Longshot Theory: The moment Shireen and Rickon Stark are within a few days travel of eachother, he's going to insist the one marry the other, and then call Rickon his adopted son/heir. Why? Because the North is almost his only shot for allies right now, and putting Rickon in line for the Iron Throne puts to rest any notion of an Independent North for this generation at least. He also knows that Shireen is not going to inspire unity or leadership as Queen, not for many years at least.

Assuming Stannis dies I don't see a long life for Shireen either. I doubt many fight for her claim. Also who knows what kind of health problems she will have in the future as a result of her current condition. Unless Edric Storm is legitimized I think the Baratheon line ends right there.

Assuming Stannis dies I don't see a long life for Shireen either. I doubt many fight for her claim. Also who knows what kind of health problems she will have in the future as a result of her current condition. Unless Edric Storm is legitimized I think the Baratheon line ends right there.

I know 20 000 sellswords who would. Also, she would be the very last Baratheon, the Stormlands would want certainly declare for that (if they weren't occupied). Just like the North would declare for the last Stark.

I doubt Shireen will live long with the diseace she has. So the best thing they can do is legitimize Edric Storm and let him become king or just pretend Tommen is a real Baratheon.

Why not legitimize Mya Stone instead? She doesn't remind Stannis of what Robert did at his marriage, and she's older than Edric and a proven hard-worker.

1. House Baratheon is the royal family, not House Targaryen. Aegon V's line as far as Baratheon succession goes is a non-issue.

2. I highly, highly, highly doubt there was ever a Stark-Targaryen match before Rhaegar and Lyanna. Ned's family being unknown is not evidence of anything.

I agree many people have been saying Alysanne and her husband had a stark parent but there is no evidence, R and L was the first union

The Throne goes to whoever can take it and keep it. We haven't seen how Westeros will react to a Queen regnant (in her own right), especially after the mess the war is causing, so we can't know how much opposition a Queen regnant would face because she is a woman. She may face ridicule or additional barriers in naming an heir due to her gender.

I believe Shireen can have her own children (despite the Greyscale) and would name her eldest child her heir regardless of gender (if it's a princess, that could lead to more change/drama) If she doesn't /can't have children, I think she'll look to her legitimate Baratheon cousins (Robert and Stannis' cousins). If there are no other "Baratheon" cousins, I could see her looking to her Estermont cousins before any of Robert's bastards. Not because that's accurate, fair or right, but simply because Estermont is the maternal line of Robert (who took the throne by force) and her father (who has to earn the throne). I think the people and small council will not be keen on this and Shireen would ultimately die with that controversy still lingering. The whole game of thrones would start over again (with Edric Storm, a Targ/(f)Targ, some Estermont, etc, fighting over the IT).

Well, Stannis is Dany's heir, correct?(Assuming Aegon is fake and Jon is a bastard) So can you argue that Dany is Shireen's heir?

No because when Aerys died, the throne should have gone to Viserys, but it didn't. Now some say that Robert sat on the throne by right of conquest but officially he is the heir of Jaehaerys once you remove Viserys and Dany from the line of succession. This leads me to believe that Viserys and Dany were disenfranchised due to being the children of the Mad King.

So to find Shireen's heir when it comes to the Iron Throne we must look at the ancestors of Rhaelle Targaryen and whether they have any descendants. To find the heir for Storm's End we have to look at the ancestors of Steffon Baratheon. So she would have a different heir for the Iron Throne (which she inherits from her great-grandmother Rhaelle) and a different heir for Storm's End (which she inherits from her grandfather Steffon). Unfortunately we don't know enough about the Baratheon or Targaryen family trees to know who those individuals are.

Well, Stannis is Dany's heir, correct?(Assuming Aegon is fake and Jon is a bastard) So can you argue that Dany is Shireen's heir?

No it does not work like that. Stannis is currently Dany's heir, if she had not disinherited him for treason, but Dany is not Shireen's heir. Shireen's heir is probably a distant relative from her Baratheon side we have not heard of.

Archived