Could Lyanna have prevented the rebellion?

Lucia Targaryen

For the record, I am of the belief that Lyanna willingly went off with Rheagar (I think the evidence is pretty clear) but there's one thing that bothers me: why didn't Lyanna intervene before the rebellion?

For everything that's been said, it is clear that Lyanna was a very strong-willed woman. It seems logical to me that when she heard her brother was being held prisoner by Aerys she would demand to go to King's Landing. If she and Rheagar had gone before the court and confessed to eloping, then the rebellion wouldn't have happened. Sure Brandon would still have died for threatening the crown prince but Robert wouldn't have been able to use Lyanna's "abduction" as an excuse. Sure it would have been a very tricky political situation but that's preferable to bloodshed.

Anyone have any thoughts?

First, welcome to the forum :cheers:

The reason for Rebellion, was never Lyanna`s abduction, it was murderings of Rickard and Brandon, and Aerys` demand of Jon Arry to give him Ned`s and Robert`s heads. Lyanna started the avalanche, but she couldn`t have stopped Rebellion, because it wasnt anymore about her

First, welcome to the forum :cheers:

The reason for Rebellion, was never Lyanna`s abduction, it was murderings of Rickard and Brandon, and Aerys` demand of Jon Arry to give him Ned`s and Robert`s heads. Lyanna started the avalanche, but she couldn`t have stopped Rebellion, because it wasnt anymore about her

Why did Brandon go to KL though? If Lyanna went willingly with Rhaegar, she caused the Rebellion. Plain and simple.

Yes.

Which is why i do not understand the love for her...yeah she got the guy she wanted, while causing millions of deaths, rapes, theft, the death of the guy who took her, etc.

If R + L= J is true, she may be the worst person in all of Westeros.

"Millions" is a bit over the top. Yes she sparked the events that led to the rebellion but she wasn't the sole factor. Maybe they had a plan to announce that she wasn't abducted but after the murder of Brandon/Rickard and the other lords there was no going back.

Why did Brandon go to KL though? If Lyanna went willingly with Rhaegar, she caused the Rebellion. Plain and simple.

Because the Rebellion would start immediately after abduction, if it was the cause, and yet, it started a year after. She didn`t cause a Rebellion, she just started chain of events that would lead to it. There is a huge difference.

Because the Rebellion would start immediately after abduction, if it was the cause, and yet, it started a year after. She didn`t cause a Rebellion, she just started chain of events that would lead to it. There is a huge difference.

If she doesn't go with Rhaegar, no rebellion happens.

Would you not agree? If not...Her actions caused Brandon and her father to get killed, already she is terrible.

"Millions" is a bit over the top. Yes she sparked the events that led to the rebellion but she wasn't the sole factor. Maybe they had a plan to announce that she wasn't abducted but after the murder of Brandon/Rickard and the other lords there was no going back.

Still her fault, even if their "plan" didn't work.

This is all assuming she went with Rhaegar willingly, of course.

They were in an isolated place. No one knew where Rhaegar was so they couldn't contact him until very late in the war.

And no, I don't think it would solve anything because the war wasn't really about her, it was caused because of the killings of Rickard and Brandon Stark and the demands to hand over Ned and Robert's heads.

The "kidnapping" of Lyanna was just a scandal that could have been dealt with peacefully without escalading to a war.

If she doesn't go with Rhaegar, no rebellion happens.

Would you not agree? If not...Her actions caused Brandon and her father to get killed, already she is terrible.

No, because we know there were already turmoil, and supposingly Harrenhall tourney was a cover-up for HighLOrds and Rhaegar to arrange deposing Aerys`, so RR didn`r just start because one woman was `abducted`

No, because we know there were already turmoil, and supposingly Harrenhall tourney was a cover-up for HighLOrds and Rhaegar to arrange deposing Aerys`, so RR didn`r just start because one woman was `abducted`

Actually, yes it did. If Rhaegar was the one to dispose of Aerys, their would not be a rebellion because everyone loved Rhaegar at the time, especially the small folk. The Targ family wouldn't be in danger. And he wouldn't have been a bad king. No rebellion would happen.

But it doesn't matter,because that just never happened....instead we got this :

Lyanna leaves with Rhaegar, and because of that single event, Brandon and co go to KL, Rickard and brandon get killed, the rebellion starts. Thousands die, get rapped, while those two stayed hidden and wars were fought because of them.

Event A leads to event B which then leads to event C...Without Event A, you don't get the others.

If she did willingly run off with Rhaegar, I don't think she fully understood the consequences and blow-back of her actions. She was after all a child.She might of believed like most girls that age do that this older man has showed interest so he must really love her and they are one-anothers truest of true loves. Rhaegar on the other hand should have known better. He was over 21! He let his infatuation with a child blind him.

Also remember that Brandon was on his way to Riverrun then headed for King's Landing when he found out that Lyanna was in Dorne. If she had left Dorne, she could have made it to King's Landing first and prevented her brother from making a scene that led to his arrest.

He didn't know she was in Dorne, he just knew that Rhaegar took her.

If she did willingly run off with Rhaegar, I don't think she fully understood the consequences and blow-back of her actions. She was after all a child. Rhaegar on the other hand should have known better. He was over 21! He let his infatuation with a child blind him.

Now this i could agree with, i never really consider she is still a child, but those 2 are still to blame for everything that happened after.

Now this i could agree with, i never really consider she is still a child, but those 2 are still to blame for everything that happened after.

I'd like to think Aerys is at least partially responsible. Maybe a bit.

I agree them running off together was that start of the shit storm. But I think that the kingdom would have eventually gone to war with Aerys at the helm. Some one would have eventually got tired of his batshit crazy rants and burnings.

I'd like to think Aerys is at least partially responsible. Maybe a bit.

Of course, but what father in this story, wouldn't kill someone trying to kill his son?

The way he did it was over-the-top and terrible, but his initial reaction of wanting to kill people trying to kill the Prince, his son, is not one that nobody would make.

The run off of R+L didn't cause the Rebellion. What caused the Rebellion was the execution of Rickard and Brandon and the mad king demanding Jon Arryn to hand over Ned and Robert's heads

It wasn't as if everyone find out R+L run off and then raised their banners

Of course, but what father in this story, wouldn't kill someone trying to kill his son?

The way he did it was over-the-top and terrible, but his initial reaction of wanting to kill people trying to kill the Prince, his son, is not one that nobody would make.

... If he had killed Brandon, just him, it still would have been ridiculous and over the top. A good king should know better. But he didn't just kill the son. He killed the father after telling him to come in peace. Along with other people who did the same.

Aerys had to go because he was a piece of shit.

Archived