Could Lyanna have prevented the rebellion?

Lucia Targaryen

Only if we chose to subscribe to the morality behind the laws of the seven kingdoms. I am kind of making a love conquers all argument here. I think that two peoples love for each other are never condemnable, if anything is, it is the social constructs that create the laws that forbid women in Westeros to have a right to their own sexuality. The true tragedy is that the society is built in such a way so that love must be a subject to the common good.

The Lords and Ladies of the land live a live hundredfold better than the common man. The common man and woman are ready to die for them, make sacrifices for them every single day and in return the Lords and Ladies have to make sacrifices too. Men are forced into marriage just as much as the women. Edmure and Ned are examples of men making the sacrifice for the good of their lands.

Rhaegar and Lyanna had a choice to tell the truth and abdicate the throne. Rhaegar and Lyanna if they were truly in love could have told their parents and run off to the free cities. Rhaegar's abidcation would resolve the crown of all responsibilities. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

As I keep saying, its not possible. I think the last Targ to practice polygamy was Maegor and he wasn't exactly the most popular guy around at the time. Rhaegar having 2 wives and children with each of them would've been a recipe for disaster. It would've been Dance of Dragons/Blackfyre Rebellion all over again. The Martells would not have agreed to this.

Would have been a convenient political get out though. Potentially why its even mentioned.

He already had a bastard (and would have more for sure) and would not respect her at all as his wife.

Apparently Rhaegar chose her only

But I don't think that was her only reason, but maybe she just didn't find Robert appealing with his tavern brute ways and ignorance

Rhaegar was married, he betrayed his wife. It's fine if she just was not attracted to him but she made such a big think of it. Rhaegar was possibly worse. He left his wife and children in a city he knew was ruled by a mad man to get some. Robert wasn't even married to Lyanna yet.

The Lords and Ladies of the land live a live hundredfold better than the common man. The common man and woman are ready to die for them, make sacrifices for them every single day and in return the Lords and Ladies have to make sacrifices too. Men are forced into marriage just as much as the women. Edmure and Ned are examples of men making the sacrifice for the good of their lands.

Rhaegar and Lyanna had a choice to tell the truth and abdicate the throne. Rhaegar and Lyanna if they were truly in love could have told their parents and run off to the free cities. Rhaegar's abidcation would resolve the crown of all responsibilities. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

I don't think it would be that easy

Rhaegar was the heir and raised to be a king one day.

Aerys would lose his sh*t if Rhaegar said that to him. "I don't wanna be a king anymore, let Viserys me the one. I'll go live somewhere else with this highborn woman and please forget that I'm a Targ. Bye"

He already had a bastard (and would have more for sure) and would not respect her at all as his wife.

Apparently Rhaegar chose her only

But I don't think that was her only reason, but maybe she just didn't find Robert appealing with his tavern brute ways and ignorance

Robert wasnt marriage material, but lets not forget that the man she chose didn't respect his own wife.

I don't think it would be that easy

Rhaegar was the heir and raised to be a king one day.

Aerys would lose his sh*t if Rhaegar said that to him. "I don't wanna be a king anymore, let Viserys me the one. I'll go live somewhere else with this highborn woman and please forget that I'm a Targ. Bye"

Yes and it still would have caused less trouble. That's one of the few ways he could get out of without causing a war. It was easier and more beneficial than what he did do. Run off and play happy families leaving his wife in and future kingdom in the hands of a mad men. Whilst he had fun with Lyanna his men and good friends like Connington were dying for him. Rhaegar had commitments to his wife, who had been good to him. He treated Elia poorly and left the realm in chaos.

My best guesses for Lyanna not intervening:

1- if R+L=J is true, given the nature of her death maybe she was sick or rendered physically incapable of intervening.

2- She was afraid it would turn Ned and Robert against each other which she would never do. If that sounds a bit sentimental then consider....

3- Maybe RHAEGAR is the one who wanted a Rebellion? He saw the atrocities his father was committing and decided he needed to go, whether that meant him taking the throne or losing it to Robert, anyone but the Mad King would be better. Suicidal, sure, but if Rhaegar really was the good guy everyone is making him out to be giving his life for the good of the realm would not be so far fetched. So him being with Lyanna satisfied his wanting to being with her, and also directly led to his father losing. It also explains why she never told Ned that she was not kidnapped.

Yes and it still would have caused less trouble. That's one of the few ways he could get out of without causing a war. It was easier and more beneficial than what he did do. Run off and play happy families leaving his wife in and future kingdom in the hands of a mad men. Whilst he had fun with Lyanna his men and good friends like Connington were dying for him. Rhaegar had commitments to his wife, who had been good to him. He treated Elia poorly and left the realm in chaos.

Aerys would probably threaten Rhaegar's kids and even Lyanna, if Rhaegar so much suggested he would abdicate his rights to the throne

I agree Rhaegar was terrible about leaving his family behind so he could live his love/lust for another woman

makes it interesting though because if he didn't make that mistake he would be a flawless character, and that's not how ASOIAF works

Yes, if you blame other people for one's actions

I don't think she foresaw Brandon stupid move

Would you guys quite blaming brandon? He had a reason to believe that his sister was kidnapped and being raped. What would you do if you believe that your sister is being raped somewhere?

Rheagar was the real douchebag who kidnapped someone daughter and sister. And he was married to another woman! what a douche!

Would you guys quite blaming brandon? He had a reason to believe that his sister was kidnapped and being raped. What would you do if you believe that your sister is being raped somewhere?

Rheagar was the real douchebag who kidnapped someone daughter and sister. And he was married to another woman! what a douche!

While I agree that Brandon had a right to be worried, he still should've handled the situation better and is still partly responsible.

Aerys would probably threaten Rhaegar's kids and even Lyanna, if Rhaegar so much suggested he would abdicate his rights to the throne

I agree Rhaegar was terrible about leaving his family behind so he could live his love/lust for another woman

makes it interesting though because if he didn't make that mistake he would be a flawless character, and that's not how ASOIAF works

Yes so you do things in a smart way. You get your kids and your wife down to Dorne at least. Even Ned knew enough to try and get his children away before angering the king.

While I agree that Brandon had a right to be worried, he still should've handled the situation better and is still partly responsible.

I agree he should have handled the situation more intelligently, but I don't think his actions were wrong. Rhaegar had just kidnapped and raped his sister. A bit like Ned at Kings Landing he has little moral blame for his actions, just can be faulted intellectually.

I agree he should have handled the situation more intelligently, but I don't think his actions were wrong. Rhaegar had just kidnapped and raped his sister. A bit like Ned at Kings Landing he has little moral blame for his actions, just can be faulted intellectually.

I don't think his actions were wrong either. In his perspective, his 15/16 year old sister has been kidnapped and is constantly being raped day in and day out. His yelling of "Rhaegar come out and die" was really him demanding single combat in his own way. I just think he should've known better since Aerys being a paranoid nut job was pretty well known.

Would you guys quite blaming brandon? He had a reason to believe that his sister was kidnapped and being raped.

We don't know if Brandon had a reason or if it was a good reason. He may have made it up in a wholly misguided eiffort to protect the family name, like Lord Rowan did when his daughter was discovered having sex with a singer.

And for Xth time - Brandon wasn't asking for Lyanna, but for Rhaegar to come out and die. Let's not pretend that he was worried for his sister until there is some evidence that he was, m'key?

I don't think his actions were wrong either. In his perspective, his 15/16 year old sister has been kidnapped and is constantly being raped day in and day out. His yelling of "Rhaegar come out and die" was really him demanding single combat in his own way. I just think he should've known better since Aerys being a paranoid nut job was pretty well known.

And he was in Targaryen territory where their army/guards resided and he came with a couple of men to threaten the prince. Brandon was a dumbass, and he wasn't over the Stark household so he shouldn't have taken any action without Rickard's approval. Anything done by the Starks when Lyanna got kidnapped should have be done by Rickard

Do we know if Brandon thought Lyanna was kidnapped and raped? I thought that was the tale Bob came up with because he didn't want the truth. That that woman didn't want him and actually chose someone else. How dare she

It's kinda absurd how Rhaegar was such a respected fellow by everyone and Brandon instantly buy the story that his sister was kidnapped and violated

I think he was just pissed that Rhaegar was with his sister without permission. Kinda like a property that was illegally taken

Do we know if Brandon thought Lyanna was kidnapped and raped? I thought that was the tale Bob came up with because he didn't want the truth. That that woman didn't want him and actually chose someone else. How dare she

It's kinda absurd how Rhaegar was such a respected fellow by everyone and Brandon instantly buy the story that his sister was kidnapped and violated

I think he was just pissed that Rhaegar was with his sister without permission. Kinda like a property that was illegally taken

The official story is that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna. At one point in AGoT Ned mentions how he hates that he has to keep up a lie about the rebellion. I've always assumed it meant that Ned knew the truth of the matter but he kept up the lie to protect Jon.

Robert wasnt marriage material, but lets not forget that the man she chose didn't respect his own wife.

Exactly. She doesn't like the idea of marrying Robert because he might cheat on her, but she's perfectly happy being the other woman while Rhaegar's busy cheating on Elia with her? What kind of hypocrisy is that?

Archived