Why the Hound will defeat Robert Strong.

Willster328

Fun theory to try and envision. There are several underlying assumptions being made that lead up to the conclusion in the Topic.

-Blood Magic is connected to the nature of The Others/Wights

-Demonstrated that Qyburn needed lots of blood to sustain Clegane. Blood being the gasoline that runs a wight

-Also shown by Coldhands who kills the Knights Watchmen as they travel northward. We've assumed that Coldhands did so because he needs blood to survive.

-Blood Magic has had a notoriously evil stigma attached to it, that it would make sense that it's connected to The Others and how they function.

-Robert Strong, is in essence, a Wight. Although not resurrected by an Other, he is a re-animated corpse that is now living by Blood being it's main driving force (as foretold by Bran's dream in Book 1).

-The Hound is now a monk in the monastery (per the Hound theory that he's the lame-legged digger). And according to the priest, "The Hound is dead". And Sandor Clegane is now an entirely new person, given himself to the church.

-The Church needs to find a Champion to fight for them. In their search for a proper champion, if Sandor gets wind of it, and has an inkling it could be his brother, or even just fight because of his skill with a sword, it's possible the Church would consider picking him if he could prove himself.

-According to The Seven Pointed Star it says that "spirits, wights, and revenants cannot harm a pious man, so long as he is armored in his faith".

-If we assume that Gregor is by nature, a wight, and that Sandor has now moved on mentally/spirituall to be a pious man as defined by the lore of the church, it's possible that he will be protected against him, and defeat him in combat.

Thoughts? :cool4:

The Hound has found peace and doesn't care for being the 'Hound' any longer, he doesn't care about Gregor or Robert Strong. I think if we see him again it maybe that he has gone off to find Sansa, but other than that I don't see him leaving the Quiet Isle.

I personally like the idea. It really doesn't seem likely though. As others have said and as the OP has pointed out, Sandor Clegane has found peace and faith. Sound minded religious men aren't like to turn to violence even if prompted by someone as powerful as the High Sparrow.

No, he'll only come back if he has an actual worthy cause. An innocent (or several) to defend in trial by combat. Not to fight for an accuser's side, even against the likes of Cersei.

I could imagine him coming out of retirement if Sansa or Arya were captured and put on trial, though.

i was thinking something along the lines of this:

-Sansa and the inhabitants of The Eyrie have come down from the mountain for the winter

-Some news or plans with Sansa and The Lords Declarant have her leaving LF

-on the way from The Eyrie, Sansa either takes to the water and stops at QI, or stops at Saltpans and hears something about The Hound story and goes to QI

-Sansa or someone with her has news of the trial and Elder Brother, whoever he is, won't leave QI, so assigns The Gravedigger to accompany Sansa and her people to KL for more info

-not sure if he is The Faith's Champ, in lieu of EB, but maybe Robert Strong wins by beating someone else, and Gravedigger takes him out at some other point

i know, lots of assumptions, but not as bad as some i've seen.

I think we all should know by now that Cersei isn't going to lose her trial. She's not gonna die yet and her role in the books is not even near over yet, she still has a ton of shit to mess up. Maggy's prophecy hasn't even been completed yet.

Yet Tywin Lannister dies on the toilet and Ned Stark has his head cut off. I don't think there are any guarentees. I think it would be quite up to par with the boks if Cersie is killed by the faith as a sinner half way through book five.

Coldhands didn't kill Night's Watchmen

It was wolves.

"Sleepless, Bran wargs into Summer on the hunt, who has found the corpses of five men - and the wolf pack that found them first."

I'd rather nobody defeat R. Strong at the moment, since having Robert Strong to enforce her rule makes her fall that much faster. A firm fist. Robert Strong could kill the High Sparrow if Cersei bade it.

Coldhands didn't kill Night's Watchmen

It was wolves.

"Sleepless, Bran wargs into Summer on the hunt, who has found the corpses of five men - and the wolf pack that found them first."

That's a quote from the wiki and isn't supported by the books. In fact, one of the dead men is described as having a 'slashed' throat, and wolves don't 'slash'. That quote is just saying that the wolf pack got to the corpses before Summer did, not that the wolves did the killing. Bran later describes the men as also having wounds consistent with ravens clawing at their face and eyes. I'm sorry but you're wrong for thinking Coldhands didn't kill them. But it wasn't for "blood" as the OP suggests, it was for safety. And food.

The Hound has found peace and doesn't care for being the 'Hound' any longer, he doesn't care about Gregor or Robert Strong. I think if we see him again it maybe that he has gone off to find Sansa, but other than that I don't see him leaving the Quiet Isle.

how do you know all this? Textual evidence?

Archived