[BOOK SPOILERS] What lines from the books do they absolutely have to include in the show at some point?

The Pain Yak

Some of these are more likely to happen then others but '

You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children.' doesn't even really belong in the same territory. It's definitely going to be included, it defines that whole trial.

I was very pleased when they included Robb's most badass line: "This one was the watcher, hang him last so he may watch the others die."

They most certainly have to include the Only Cat exchange, what I'm most interested in is the part where Lysa spills the beans on Jon Arryn's poisoning.

I was happy to see that Wendel Manderly was included in the incidental guest cast on the Game of Thrones wiki for The Rains of Castamere episode, and if you look behind Rob and Talisa and Cately during Edmure's wedding procession, you can see a fat bearded man with a mermaid trident pinned to his breast. The only possible reason for including a character who was not known at that point would be so that they can reference him later, and include Wyman Manderly. Huzzah! Pretty much anything out of his mouth is gold. I hope they include his line about the rat cook, it'd be easy enough to have someone like Sam or Bran talk about the Rat Cook at a later time.

“I do so hope he plays us ‘The Rains of Castamere.’ It has been an hour, I’ve forgotten how it goes.” Lady Olenna

THIS. Lady Olenna has been absolutely fabulous so far. Diana Rigg is killing it. And I like how they cooked up reasons for her to talk to both Varys and Tywin.

One line that they could easily put into the "Mhysa" episode.

After Tywin tells Tyrion to impregnate Sansa after the Red wedding:

"And when do you imagine Sansa will be at her most fertile?" Tyrion asked his father in tones that dripped acid. "Before or after I tell her how we murdered her mother and her brother?"

This is a longshot, and the show will probably axe the character, but I would absolutely love it if Septon Maribald's monologue is included. One of the most touching and revealing passages in the entire series IMHO. Given the focus on the WOTFK, it would be wonderful if they showed us just how much the war has affected the smallfolk, who are ultimately those that suffer the most.

They should definitely have 'THE NORTH REMEMBERS'. No reason why not, its not a clunky line at all.

'Put this in the fire' is also a great line and easy to get in.

'Only Cat' is perfect.

It's a long way in the future but Stannis: 'He is welcome to try, whatever name he goes by' is fucking brilliant.

And of course, Edd, fetch me a block :D

I think the Tywin scene could be reworked. They've gotta do it. It's the best line in the book. Off the top of my head, they could do something like:

"You are no son of mine."

"That's where you're wrong. I do believe I'm you, writ small. They say you shit gold, Father." *shoots him, then sniffs* "Nope."

Or, I like the other suggestion that Bronn or someone says it later, maybe when they find his body, "I guess he doesn't shit gold, after all."

"only cat"

something to the effect of tywin lannister did not shit gold which is only a thought in the books something like tyrion smelling something before he leaves and just going "so it turns out you dont shit gold"

"Fetch me a block"

"dont make me regret raping your mother"

"you have to remember your name" when theon shows up at stannis' encampment

"reek, it rhymes with (insert rhyme here)"

"would that all the lords of the seven kingdoms had but a single neck" stannis in theons PoV sample chapter from tWoW

"you killed her, you raped her, you killed her children" and then "Elia! I killed her, I raped her, I killed her children! Then I smashed her fucking head in, like this!" and "if you die before you say her name, i will hunt you through all seven hells"

whatever jaime says to loras when they reach KL something like "I'm lord commander of the kingsguard you idiot, now put up your steel or i will take it and shove it so far up your arse it will reach a place not even renly found"

"Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey.”

"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood."

"I want my Reek back."

Just Stannis. Every single one of his lines is gold.

"Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." Stannis pointed north. "There is where I'll find the enemy I was born to fight."

"Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine, but I offer them cold clear water and they squint in suspicion and mutter to each other about how queer it tastes." Stannis ground his teeth. "If someone said I had magicked myself into a boar to kill Robert, likely they would believe that as well."

(About Gilly) "Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing."

"I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."

Archived