[BOOK SPOILERS] What lines from the books do they absolutely have to include in the show at some point?

The Pain Yak

A thread on another forum reminded me of this cherished moment:

Littlefinger let Lysa sob against his chest for a moment, then put his hands on her arms and kissed her lightly. "My sweet silly jealous wife," he said, chuckling. "I've only loved one woman, I promise you."

Lysa smiled tremulously. "Only one? Oh Petyr, do you swear it? Only one?"

"Only Cat." He gave her a short, sharp shove.

Lysa stumbled backward, her feet slipping on the wet marble. And then she was gone. She never screamed. For the longest time there was no sound but the wind.

Marillion gasped, "You...you..."

The guards were shouting outside the door, pounding with the butts of their heavy spears. Lord Petyr pulled Sansa to her feet. "You're not hurt?" When she shook her head, he said, "Run let my guards in, then. Quick now, there's no time to lose. This singer's killed my lady wife."

I desperately want this dialogue. Perhaps not word for word outside of 'Only Cat', but with every major point hit.

Any lines of dialogue you're looking forward to seeing in the show, as close to straight from the books as they can get?

I just wonder if Tywin's death would be as awesome without the "did not, in the end, shit gold" line. I mean, they can't have Tyrion say "interesting. in the end, my father didn't shit gold", but I hope they find some way to make this refrence.

SO MANY!!! Of course: Ed fetch me a block. But also: "The North Remembers" (and the rest of Manderlay's revelation), Sam's speech about Maester Aemon ... that is so good!! Theon's thoughts about Robb in the godswood (I have no doubt this will be in, because they love Theon's story). OH!! "Fire, blood, vengeance." They better not screw Doran Martell!!!

Of course, everything that Edd and Stannis say in ADWD :)

The "shitting gold" line is iconic, but then again so is "don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair", and they didn't force that into the show verbally. "Fire cannot kill a dragon" is another famous one that worked being transformed from interior thoughts to being spoken. I can see Tyrion saying it at a later time though.

But the lines I really want from that scene are:

"You are no son of mine."

"That's where you're wrong. I do believe I'm you, writ small."

Tywin using his last breaths to still dismiss and belittle Tyrion is perfect, and him being told that Tyrion is the most like him of all his children probably hurts him more than the crossbow bolt does.

Also:

"Ed, fetch me a block."

"Put this in the fire."

"Only Cat."

"You will not walk again. But you will fly."

"Vengance. Justice. Fire and Blood."

As Roose Bolton is going to be more prominent in the show going forward, I hope that some of the exchanges that are used to characterize him in ADWD make it into the show in some form. None of these quotes are especially essential, but they're all very informative about the man who will be one of the major 'villains' of the show going forward

"Roose has no feelings, you see. He does not love, he does not hate, he does not grieve. This is a game to him, mildly diverting. Some men hunt, some hawk, some tumble dice. Roose plays with men. You and me, these Freys, Lord Manderly, his plump new wife, even his bastard, we are but his playthings"

One of my favorite passages in ADWD. I sincerely doubt that it will be scripted word for word, and I'm positive that Lady Barbrey Dustin (who says it) will be cut, but that doesn't mean another character can't give Theon a variation on this talk. it underlies exactly why the Leech Lord is one of the best and most dangerous players in the game.

""No tales were ever told of me. Do you think I would be sitting here if it were otherwise? Your amusements are your own, I will not chide you on that count, but you must be more discreet. A peaceful land, a quiet people. That has always been my rule. Make it yours."

This exchange is much more likely to make it into the show in some form. Roose will definitely be telling Ramsay off at some point.

"This miller’s marriage had been performed without my leave or knowledge. The man had cheated me. So I had him hanged, and claimed my rights beneath the tree where he was swaying. If truth be told, the wench was hardly worth the rope. The fox escaped as well, and on our way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day."

I'm fairly certain that they won't be including this, but I enjoy it anyway. The epitome of dark humor.

"Woman? Is that meant to insult me? I would return the slap, if I took you for a man."

Oh, wait, they already cut that line...

In that case, they better keep "It is known that you are a cow! Rakharo does not bed with cows!"

Oh, wait, they killed Irri and Rakharo, and Jhiqui went missing.

Okay, well as long as they keep "You are the blood of the dragon, you can make a hat", I'll be somewhat satisfied.

“The wolves will come again,” said Jojen solemnly.

“And how would you be knowing, boy?”

“I dreamed it.”

Only Cat is my favorite line in the whole series.

I also want them to have the line where that BwB guy says (paraphrasing) "no, I said I'd tell him to let you go. Let him go" and his friend says something like "go fuck yourself" and he's like "sorry, I tried." I think it shows where the BwB goes once Thoros and Beric are gone.

"Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey.”

And last but not least, "My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter … but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done."

"This miller’s marriage had been performed without my leave or knowledge. The man had cheated me. So I had him hanged, and claimed my rights beneath the tree where he was swaying. If truth be told, the wench was hardly worth the rope. The fox escaped as well, and on our way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day."

I'm fairly certain that they won't be including this, but I enjoy it anyway. The epitome of dark humor.

I love this part. Roose's total and utter sociopathy makes for some brilliant dark humour.

"Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother!"

I just wonder if Tywin's death would be as awesome without the "did not, in the end, shit gold" line. I mean, they can't have Tyrion say "interesting. in the end, my father didn't shit gold", but I hope they find some way to make this refrence.

As Tywin dies we hear the sound of his bowels emptying. Tyrion sniffs the air and wrinkles his nose.

Maybe Tyrion can look at his father as he's dying and say: "Hmph. I guess you really don't shit gold."

Archived