How I Would Have Adapted "The Rains of Castamere"

Gregor's Nancy Boy

I'd hardly call Djawadi's composition "The Lannisters Send Their Regards" cheesy, generic, and anti-climatic. It's pretty damn haunting if you heard it on the soundtrack.

I swear I've heard the BUM-BUM-BUMBUMBUM! a million times over in cheesy action movies. Making it generic. And thus anti-climactic.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

I swear I've heard the BUM-BUM-BUMBUMBUM! a million times over in cheesy action movies. Making it generic. And thus anti-climatic.

Hmm, I'm not sure you understand what anticlimactic means.

And, yeah, you're right, the climate in my country is pretty awful. I'm totally against it. :fencing:

One of the reasons I didn't like the wife being used in place of the grandson was that the actress who played the wife had been changed from the one who played her in season one. What was the point? That particular role didn't require any special kind of acting ability so I didn't get why they decided to replace her. Had it been the original actor, I think it would have been more powerful than killing off a character that was introduced in the very same episode (Jinglebell).

So... Walder Frey got a new wife in between s1 and s3. Seems in character. :cool4:

I swear I've heard the BUM-BUM-BUMBUMBUM! a million times over in cheesy action movies. Making it generic. And thus anti-climatic.

Mind posting a similar sounding arrangement, because for some reason, you posting "BUM-BUM-BUMBUMBUM!"...? doesn't really give me a good idea of the sound you're talking about. But since there are a "million" examples, it shouldn't be too difficult.

So you would have made it a 100 % adaption of the book? Cool.

If the budget allowed it, sure. I said as much. I cherished everything about the Red Wedding in ASoS. But I don't think that's what the adaption I wrote out represented. I made many personal alterations myself and was working with all the alterations Benioff and Weiss had made before this episode. I wanted to share what I thought was a reasonable alternative to D&D's version of the Red Wedding which I'd appreciate more.

Sorry, for some reason I can't recall any of the names of those marvelous scores from those oh-so-memorable made-for-television movies. Somehow, I must have forgotten completely about them. Weird, right?

Whatever you say. Point is, it shouldn't be too difficult to find some of this generic, cheesy, anti-climatic (how, exactly, is this term being used to describe a musical score, anyway...?) music, since there are a "million" examples. But apparently they're all from "made-for-television" movies...

Whatever you say. Point is, it shouldn't be too difficult to find some of this generic, cheesy, anti-climatic (how, exactly, is this term being used to describe a musical score, anyway...?) music, since there are a "million" examples. But apparently they're all from "made-for-television" movies...

There are not literally a million of examples I could name. Apologies if you actually thought I meant so. If I come across a similar track in the next couple of days, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say I will not be looking up lame movies from my past in order to appease you. All I meant was that I found "The Lannisters Send Their Regards" to sound very familiar in a mediocre kind of way. In my opinion, it didn't fit the mood. The Red Wedding deserved a better soundtrack. And "anticlimactic" as in all this dramatic stuff is happening on screen, then mood shattering music begins to play. That's just how I saw it. It's nice you have your own opinion on the piece but I personally thought "The Rains of Castamere" would have been more appropriate.

Passive-aggressiveness is always hilarious.

There seems to be no shortage of it on these forums.

Nice, very nicee and much better than the movie's. However, Galbart Glover never went to the Twins, and Greatjon is a captive, which is important, as it regards Mors and Hother Umber's behaviour at Book 5. They should had cast Smalljon Umber having his head cut instead, something loyal to the books.

Else:

• Talisa's death was awesome and I want her die there stabbed to the death, instead of Galbart Glover who is, presumably alive.
  • Roose should have worn no plate(doesn't fit the actor), and should have shouted:"Tywin Lannister sends his regards!"
  • Joyeuse Erenford should have been killed not the stupid clown
  • Roose should have been the one to kill Caetlyn
  • No Fat Walda crying

There are not literally a million of examples I could name. Apologies if you actually thought I meant so. If I come across a similar track in the next couple of days, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say I will not be looking up lame movies from my past in order to appease you. All I meant was that I found "The Lannisters Send Their Regards" to sound very familiar in a mediocre kind of way. In my opinion, it didn't fit the mood. The Red Wedding deserved a better soundtrack.

Still, It's kind of embarrassing when you say you've heard it a million times (hyperbole I realise), but then can't even think of a single example.

I love how you just outline the time frames for the episode and how much more CGI and budget would be needed for episode 10 based on episode 9...

As if you have any idea. You don't know how much it costs, how much it would have cost, how much you would have saved, or how much you would have had for the 10th episode.

This is a bizarre post. You probably would have been better served to simply post that you're a book purist who didn't like some of the changes from the books, instead of this mundane camouflaged effort to reach exactly that point.

Scene One (3:38 mins in – Time: night): Robb calls a meeting with the Northmen in his tent to reveal plans for Casterly Rock. Greatjon Umber is there to voice outstanding support

First problem.

The actor playing the Greatjon is no longer under contract due to bailing on the project in season two. So right off, you’re stuck with either recasting someone for a single show, needlessly dropping his name to hopefully make the viewer’s recall that’s the same name of that completely different guy in season one, all in hopes of getting them to care about his death despite being what appears to be a throw away character due to this.

A useless gesture for TV, going over the heads of the audience just as a nod to book readers. Not worth taking up time on a show.

Scene Two (5:25 mins in – Time: morning): A transition to Bran and friends happens to show their arrival at Queenscrown (a magnificent CGI rendered tower in the middle of a shallow lake). They discuss the history of Queenscrown and follow Jojen’s advice by taking shelter in it from the oncoming storm. Dany’s story is cut from this episode entirely.

Next few issues. Where do you stick Dany’s scenes since you’re cutting her here? What do you cut to make room for it? Additionally, does Clarke have any clauses in her contract in terms of episodes that she’ll be appearing.

Second, a “magnificent CGI rendered tower” costs cash, not just for this scene but any others around the outside unless you’re also designing a set piece of said shallow lake area which again costs money. All for very little actual relevance or pay off to the show, again just to get a rise out of book readers. Again, a useless gesture for TV.

Scene Five (11:03 mins in – Time: dusk): Robb's host arrives at the Twins in the midst of a heavy storm. Grey Wind leads the way as he did in the official episode but with Catelyn, Edmure, Robb, and Galbart Glover close behind.

So catelyn, Edmure, Robb, and some random guy no one who watches the show really recognizes or cares about.

The camera then pans over to large, CGI rendered circus-like pavilions over the bend of the fork.

More CGI costs, again for little useful reason.

As he writhes on the ground in pain, Tormund calls for Jon’s death, compelling Ygritte to lunge at Tormund.

Why would Tormund, based on the other episodes of the show, be the one to call for Jon’s death simply for not executing someone. Not executing someone could speak as much to his desire not to kill a helpless man as it is still being a “crow” and Tormund has expressed a liking for Snow, suggesting he’d be more likely to give the benefit of the doubt. All season it had been set up that Orell was untrusting and disliking of Snow, so him being the initiator of things and seemingly goading Tormund into it makes FAR more sense. Unless you’re doing a rewrite of the whole season, Tormund starting it doesn’t make sense.

Scene Nine (29:12 mins in – Time: morning): Arya and the Hound stumble upon the travelling merchant and commandeer his wagon as it was in the official episode.

So basically you’ve replaced scenes for one of the primary characters of the televisions shows focus, causing them to need to be shuffled into episode 8 or episode 10 and bumping out other scenes in the process, all to give some exposition to a supporting character you happen to have a care for seemingly in The Hound.

Wonderful for book reader fan fic, horrible method of going about things for a script writing TV producer doing an adaptation.

Scene Ten (30:57 mins in – Time: morning): We jump back to Catelyn as she walks in on a private meeting happening in Robb’s chambers at the Twins. In attendance are Robb, Galbart, Greatjon, Roose, and Wendel Manderly.

So guy no one really knows, guy whose recast so is confusing, Roose, and another guy we’re suddenly meeting and supposed to care about…

The mood is bleak as rain pours outside. Catelyn asks what has happened. Roose explains that Lannister forces have accumulated on the Trident but follows up with news of Winterfell in form of an envelope. Catelyn gives him a studious look and opens the letter to find a ragged strip of leather inside. Robb and Galbart exchange a look and the Greatjon snorts in disgust. “Is that… skin?” asks Robb. “The skin from the littlefinger of Theon Greyjoy’s left hand.” Answers Roose. [At this moment it is revealed to the viewers the malicious psychopath torturing Theon is actually the same bastard son Roose Bolton sent to capture Winterfell. Immediately they will sense that something is not right with this character.] “My son is cruel, I confess it. And yet… what is a little skin, against the lives of two young princes? Their bodies were found burnt with the rest of Winterfell. You were their mother, my lady. May I offer you this… small token of revenge?” Grey Wind begins to howl anxiously outside where he is chained. Catelyn considers the thought a moment, then asks Roose to put it away. Robb commands his men to leave and consoles Catelyn, telling her she must stay in good spirits for the wedding.

One big scene in a packed episode with pretty much little pay off, other than revealing one of the cliff hangers of the season a week early in an episode that’s already filled with memorable things. Meh.

Scene Fourteen (40:21 mins in – Time: night): Catelyn and Bolton are sitting next to each other at a table watching guests dance in the hall. The Greatjon is leading his men in song as musicians overhead play a different tune with their intruments. A plump young woman by the name of Fat Walda Frey is telling Catelyn the story of how Roose picked her over her sisters for his bride since Walder Frey promised him the girl’s weight in gold. Bolton sits idle at the table staring off into space until a barmaid leans down to pour him a drink. He covers his cup with a hand in refusal. Catelyn asks...

“Don’t you drink, Lord Bolton?”

“I never do, my lady. It dulls the senses.”

“Isn’t that the point?!” bellows Greatjon Umber, slapping him on the shoulder.

Hey, it’s a scene heavily focused on a recast guy that the audience doesn’t really recognize and thus likely doesn’t care about. That’s a great thin to waste some time on. And look, we can cast and pay another speaking actor instead of simply having Roose explain about Fat Walda because….well, we read the book [baratheon]Damn ya[/baratheon] and so we demand purity!

Just as Walder Frey delivers his last line, Roose Bolton strides back into the hall clad in dark armor, wearing a crude, red cape with the flayed man embroidered on it. Robb is facing halfway towards Catelyn, halfway towards the doors. Roose approaches where Robb is propped onto a table and unsheathes his sword. “Jaime Lannister sends his regards” Bolton says as he places one hand on Robb’s shoulder and uses the other to thrust his blade up through Robb’s ribcage, into the Young Wolf's heart.

So say “Jamie Lannister” even though Jamie stated “The Lannisters”, and make sure he’s wearing a cloak he’s never worn on the show before ever because…well…BOOK!!!!!

rakes her fingernails down her face. She shakes uncontrollably and studies her hands, turning them left and right, now covered in blood.

So now we’re onto significant special affects beyond just what’s needed for a throat slit, since we need her to have a bunch of portions of her face able to be “slashed” while still looking like her. Also, we’re setting up increased costs and time for casting in the future by making a far more difficult lady stoneheart look. All to show her desperation at the time, something widely proclaimed as an understood bit of emotion even by show watches due to the actresses excellent work at the end. So again, an action for the purpose of………making the book readers happy and nothing else. Yay.

Then she begins to laugh. Slow at first, gradually becoming hysterical. “She’s lost her wits…” Lothar can be heard saying. “Make an end.” Another Frey suggests. Black Walder yanks on her braid from behind. “No, don’t cut my hair! Ned loves my hair!” she blurts out in madness. Black Walder opens her throat with one deep slash, releasing a surge of blood. In an instant, the camera zooms out of the hall through a mozaic window and slowly pans over the top of the castle to reveal the feast tents on fire, collapsing. All we hear are the screams of Northmen, the “boom doom boom” of the drum, and Grey Wind's pain-filled howls as the credits appear.

Thus removing the amazing cut to black that left non-book readers (and some book readers as well) largely with their mouths slackjawed open, and removing one of the deaths that seemingly brought forward the correct type of emotions of the Red Wedding in many non-book readers in terms of the viewed execution of Grey Wind (this got a ton of run as “the worst death” to watch from many commenters).

This on top of already removing Talisa’s death and Baby Ned Starks. You’ve swapped out the emotional impact of a death of a character we’ve been heavily following and an unborn baby for the death of a guy who’d be recast and would largely be irrelevant to the audience. And this is supposed to better bestow the feeling of the Red Wedding from the book? Not without having you as the new producer and writer for the whole series up to this point as well.

I’m glad you’ve gotten your chance in your mind to think of how you’d like it done and felt the need to share it with people. I hope you’re glad that some of us are taking the opportunity to share what we feel in our minds, and state that we’re exceedingly happy you’re not a writer or producer for the show. I do think the producers were rather satisfied with their episode. I dare say the vast majority of viewers, book readers or not, were ALSO rather satisfied with their episode. I’d also dare say they’d be far more satisfied with the episode that aired, including HBO, than with the one you proposed being inserted in instead.

(I see as I read on that your claim for going with the Wife being a bad choice was because they changed her from season one…yet a HUGE amount of your red wedding changes focused around adding Greatjohn Umber, who would be changed from season one! And she wasn’t even a different actress. Oh, then you back pedal and explain that for your “adaptation” to work really we would’ve needed you basically rewriting the entire series as a producer because it hinges on MULTIPLE other writing and production changes to have been done, all of which with their own host of issues and problems. Wonderful logic.)

I liked some of the things you suggested…the crying by the bride, being asked to cage Grey Wind, and showing more of Grey Winds uneasiness as well. But by and large, all I see is a script aimed at trying to do as direct of an adaptation as possible, not something attempting to make a compelling television episode within the constraints of reality adapted from the book.

People often think that posting "in my opinion" saves them from having to justify their position, and that throwing out blanket statements is the same thing as being able to actually back up said opinion/position... Well, it isn't. Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean some opinions aren't worth more than others. You didn't like the music used during this scene because it wasn't the persistent "boom doom" from the novels (which, talk about "generic" and "cheesy" - did the hall of The Twins suddenly become The Mines of Moria...?), as far as I can tell. That, to me, speaks more to your overall position of wanting the show to hew closer to the original text, in all aspects (even the music, seemingly). "Sounds familiar in a very mediocre way" isn't real criticism. But it is your opinion. So I'll respectfully disagree with it on the basis that it's coming from someone who isn't even attempting to be objective.

So, yeah... Personally, I love listening to film scores of all types, and overall think that Ramin Djawadi uses his various musical influences in interesting and unique ways. The Lannisters Send Their Regards isn't exactly the best track on the album, but I don't think the composer would think that it was, either.

I can only assume, since you can't seem to come up with a single example, that you're referring to the type of score that's become increasingly popular since the release of the original trailer for the film Inception. The music used in the trailer for that movie was from its own original soundtrack, and was scored by Hans Zimmer - a composer who Ramin Djawadi was mentored by, and still collaborates with to this day. Here is the track here, titled Mind Heist:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0JGHI4TAC5U

...and here is a compilation that features many similar sounding variations on this bombastic, bass-heavy theme (there are many more examples in the comments section):

http://io9.com/59670...iler-everywhere

And finally, since part of me doubts that you've actually listened to it, the track The Rains of Castamere, from the soundtrack for the third season of the show:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=R6tkcSvX_yY

Archived