Which storyline by itself would make for the best series?

Idiotsloveboxes

Dany since she is the main character of ASOIAF anyways

No, she's not. Odds are the show will be cancelled before she reaches Westeros, which would make her whole inclusion on the show pointless (as her scenes aren't particularly good drama in and of itself).

Or "I only rescue maidens". Still, we got the goodbye scene, so that's something?

I only rescue maidens, just to hear him say that, he would have nailed that line. I don't know if I'll ever get over that, TBH..

But you're right, we have the goodbye scene!

ASOIAF has no main character, and if it did; it would most likely be Jon anyways.

In the show he isn't though, they're doing a number on his storyline (even though admittedly it got better in the last few episodes).

I'm surprised at the amount of people saying KL would make for a good storyline on its own. It would bore quickly, imo. It would be like The Borgias on Showtime, and that show got canned after 3 seasons.

I think the Wall, Dany and Tyrion's storyline could make a series, Jaime/Brienne could make a movie.

I only rescue maidens, just to hear him say that, he would have nailed that line. I don't know if I'll ever get over that, TBH..

But you're right, we have the goodbye scene!

I'm not sure why "I only rescue maidens" is such a beloved line. So if Brienne had been gang-raped by the Bloody Mummers (or Locke's men) she wouldn't be worth rescuing? I'm sure it's meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I'm not sure how charming it is to be reminded that in Westeros, a hymen-less woman is basically dog-shit.

I'm not sure why "I only rescue maidens" is such a beloved line.

Way to miss the point. That's reducing this fabulous twist on a fairytale to a literal interpretation of one line.

The sapphires story, and him rushing back to save her, is because he didn't want this truly horrible thing to happen to her, and he tried to protect her from this, over and over again. And he wants to know, is she all right?

And then the thought of Jaime as a white knight from the fairy tales is pretty laughable, even to him. But here she is, and she's even got on a pink dress, and he's doing this dashing thing to rescue her.

So when he says, I only rescue maidens, she gets it, he gets it, we all get it. It's funny, but it's also sweet, and caps off the story perfectly.

Way to miss the point. That's reducing this fabulous twist on a fairytale to a literal interpretation of one line.

The sapphires story, and him rushing back to save her, is because he didn't want this truly horrible thing to happen to her, and he tried to protect her from this, over and over again. And he wants to know, is she all right?

And then the thought of Jaime as a white knight from the fairy tales is pretty laughable, even to him. But here she is, and she's even got on a pink dress, and he's doing this dashing thing to rescue her.

So when he says, I only rescue maidens, she gets it, he gets it, we all get it. It's funny, but it's also sweet, and caps off the story perfectly.

I think omitting it is an improvement.

I got that. You asked why we all loved it.

I almost think the line plays better to the modern reader than it really would have played to Brienne at the time.

We as readers understand the reference he's making, and I think we assume that if the "Sapphires" ploy hadn't worked, he still would have rescued her.

But would Brienne assume that? Or would she think that since she had been raped, she was as good as dead anyway, or possibly no longer worth Jaime risking his life?

Anyway, that's the joke. My point is, given the reality of a woman in Westeros, it's a very cutting joke because it hits very close to the truth. I don't think it's sweet. Look at what happened to Lollys. What knight would risk his life to save her?

I....can't believe what I'm reading. That line is a joke. Jaime uses it to make light of the situation, but also as a way to play off the fact that he was a moment ago genuinely checking to see that Brienne was not raped.

If she had have been, I imagine he would have been enraged, but she wasn't so he quickly covers himself by saying "oh good, I only rescue maidens".

I....can't believe what I'm reading. That line is a joke. Jaime uses it to make light of the situation, but also as a way to play off the fact that he was a moment ago genuinely checking to see that Brienne was not raped.

If she had have been, I imagine he would have been enraged, but she wasn't so he quickly covers himself by saying "oh good, I only rescue maidens".

I know it's a joke. I just don't think it's a good one. And I'm a MAJOR Jaime/Brienne shipper in the books and on-screen. I honestly think cutting the line is an improvement, and as GRRM wrote "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", he probably thinks so too.

Archived