Your Favorite Frey.

Say what you want, the Freys are at the very least an interesting set of characters.

Old Walder is quite the sleezebag, but I consider him mildly humorous.

Stevron seemed like a good man.

Emmon is a wimpy man, ruled by his wife. However, I also found it funny when he went on an on about his "rights" to Riverrun.

Cleos seemed like a good, yet slow man.

Hosteen was slow, but I was humored. The description of him slicing Manderly's chins made me snicker and again I laughed when Stannis called him Ser Stupid. He also seems to be the best at arms.

Little Walder is cool, especially if he killed Big Walder.

Fat Walda I also enjoy. A heavyset woman who is proud of her weight in a society that obsesses about beauty.

Roslin is nice and potentially the sweetest Frey.

But I think the most interesting have to be Black Walder and Lame Lothar. Vile men the both of them but they actually seem competent, and maybe even game changing. I think they are the most interesting Freys to read about and by extension my "favorite" Freys.

About wanting all the Freys dead. Here's the thing.

If there's one person who really deserves to be punished for the Red Wedding, it's old Lord Walder. But how can he be punished? Killing him wouldn't really accomplish anything; he's old as fuck and he wouldn't have lived much longer anyway. He probably wouldn't survive any kind of torture or physical punishment very long either.

So the only way to punish him is to target something he wants, the thing he wanted to survive after his death. What Lord Walder cared about in life was his family - not the family members individually, he clearly doesn't give a shit about his offspring as people, but the family as a whole as his legacy. He wants his bloodline to survive and prosper and hold positions of power and prestige after he's gone. That's what he's all about. And that's why the only really appropriate revenge against him is for his family line to be extinguished Castamere-style.

So, yeah. Not all the Freys deserve it - I'll have some sympathy for Big Walder and Gatehouse Ami and Fat Walda and Roslin if they go, but nevertheless, I kind of hope they do. (Except maybe Roslin, but only because her giving birth to a baby trout who might hold the Twins under the name Tully someday after all the Freys are gone might be a kind of revenge in itself.) As readers we don't know them that well, but we are intimately acquainted with Lord Walder's epic dickery and it's natural for our desire to see that punished outweigh our sympathy for characters who aren't much more than names (especially in a series where minor characters die like flies anyway). If I were suddenly transported to Westeros I wouldn't embark on a mission to kill anybody named Frey. I wouldn't entirely approve of any of the good guys doing that. Many Freys don't deserve it. But as a reader, from the outside, I hope they all die, because that's the only way Lord Walder doesn't get what he wanted.

Merrett was the funniest read, but I think Olyver would be my most liked. Alyx Frey has the coolest name, plus her brother wasn't allowed at the Red Wedding, probably because he didn't approve. Perwyn is okay too.

Cleos was at least amusing while he was alive, even if he was playing straight man in the Brienne and Jaime Comedy Roadshow, which was awesomewhile it lasted.

Otherwise gotta go with Fat Walda and Gatehouse Ami. Although i was kind of fond of Merrett, just because he was so utterly crap....Anybody else a Red Dwarf fan? Was or was not Merrett, the Arnold J Rimmer of House Frey?

Archived