Why and when the Dany hate began?

Nami

Her chapters in ADwD were painful to read, for the most part. Too many confusing, unimportant characters introduced and nothing really happens save for a few chapters. Hopefully once the 'Mereenese Knot' is untied her chapters will go back to being great again.

Look Im not trying to be insulting, but I really don't understand what people who feel like you even like about these books. Im not trying to justify Cruxifiction in the real world, but the world of ASoIaF is a harsh, brutal one where one has to be ruthless in order to gain and maintain power. It shocks me when people pick out relatively minor moments like this or Tyrion arming the Mountain Clans as proof positive that they are completely unredeemable villians. Is there any character other than maybe Sansa, who doesn't have a body count in the thousands on their hands by this point? Even she was somewhat responsible for the slaughter of her father's retinue in KL. Relative every other ruler in this world Dany is a Saint, and that is all that matters.

I love this defense of "everyone does it and that makes it ok", when in fact not everyone does this. In fact let's go over the books and sees how many people have ordered the death of over 100 people by means of torture. Let's see, we have Gregor Clegane/Tywin Lannister. We have maybe Aerys. We have Joffrey (with the antler's man episode). That put her in some select company.

Yes those wars did not benefit the common people. Aerys wasn't burning many commoners was he, it was mostly high born nobles as far as I remember. Power struggles amongst the political classes in a feudal society are obviously always bad for commoners. They see no benefit from any change in regime and their livelihood and actual life is often severely threatened. I can't remember the quote I'm sure someone will correct me but it's something like 'the innocent suffer most when you high lords play the game of thrones'

"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are."

Yes and I am happy that Stannis and Robb punish rapers, but unlike them, at that time in her life, Daenerys had no such power or influence to punish rapers among the Dothraki. All that she could do is tell them to stop and make them marry the women that they wanted sex from, which is not much better, but alas, it was all she could do.

Look even if she couldn't stop them she could have(if she cared for people the way she seems) prevented Dothrakis attack but she made her husband look that way.But she points Westeros and if Khal Drogo lived then we would see a raped, slaved and butchered Westeros.

But she picked 169 at random instead of punishing the guilty. Some of those people might have played no part in the prior atrocities. I don't consider that justice.

This is a big misconception of text. Dany never once claims this act was about justice, nor does she present the act as such. It was strictly about vengeance and that was clear from the beginning because she became determined to take the city because of the 163 children executed.

You can't blame Dany for the atrocities committed by Drogo's Khalasar. She was in no position to stop them.

You can very much blame her for seeing those atrocities, the raped women and piles of severed heads and such, and still thinking it was a good idea to use Drogo's Khalasar to take the Iron Throne.

Yes those wars did not benefit the common people. Aerys wasn't burning many commoners was he, it was mostly high born nobles as far as I remember. Power struggles amongst the political classes in a feudal society are obviously always bad for commoners. They see no benefit from any change in regime and their livelihood and actual life is often severely threatened. I can't remember the quote I'm sure someone will correct me but it's something like 'the innocent suffer most when you high lords play the game of thrones'

Aerys was in the process of burning KL to the ground, until Jamie shoved a sword in his back. Pretty sure there was a shit ton of poor commoners, in the Capitol.

You can't blame Dany for the atrocities committed by Drogo's Khalasar. She was in no position to stop them.

You can very much blame her for seeing those atrocities, the raped women and piles of severed heads and such, and still thinking it was a good idea to use Drogo's Khalasar to take the Iron Throne.

:agree:

This is a big misconception of text. Dany never once claims this act was about justice, nor does she present the act as such. It was strictly about vengeance and that was clear from the beginning because she became determined to take the city because of the 163 children executed.

I know it was not justice, and what's worse she knew it too. She did something deliberately unjust, which resulted in the death by torture of many people, and that bothers me, and bothers me more because she *knew* it wasn't just and did it anyway.

I agree, and you can very much blame every other would-be ruler in the history of ASOIAF for seeing such atrocities and still thinking that it was a good idea for their armies to take what they wanted.

Aerys was in the process of burning KL to the ground, until Jamie shoved a sword in his back. Pretty sure there was a shit ton of poor commoners, in the Capitol.

Ok yeah so in that one instance you have an example of a high born person doing something that benefits the commoners, and I'm sure there are other examples as well. But can you really characterise the relationship in Westeros between high born and low born as anything other than intensely exploitative as a general rule throughout the series? I don't think you can.

I agree, and you can very much blame every other would-be ruler in the history of ASOIAF for seeing such atrocities and still thinking that it was a good idea for their armies to take what they wanted.

Give me one good ruler who saw raped women or severed heads all over the place and decided "hey this looks good lets continue this acts in our homeland, okey guys after this battle I am taking you to my hometown to murder and rape my people who is in ?Then you guys can select me your new mayor :D"

Archived