Will Stannis win against Bolton?

theBigPicture

Direwolf Ex

Well, attacking Frey forces will be a good indicator for Stannis to at least wait a bit. Plenty of time to deliver a letter from Lord Too Fat To Ride and countersigned by Davos, for example. Manderly for sure thought about it.

Then again, chance is Davos and Rickon are already somewhere int he snowstorm - castle Cerwyn would be a good marshalling point for Manderly forces.

agreed about the letter. manderly would definitely have covered that base, because he knows stannis (and the realm) believe he murdered davos. and the logistics of castle cerwyn fit with that too, because i'm pretty sure davos would have to go back to white harbour first, which is downstream from castle cerwyn.

it wouldn't bother me if we didn't actually see davos on skaagos, or just heard about it in one long flashback davos chapter after the fact. it's not like we need yet another locale to explore at this point.

Manderlys and Umbers and Karstarks will turn on the Boltons and Freys and by the time Stannis arrives to the city, there won't be much of a fight. With both Boltons dead (or mayhaps Ramsay on the run), House Bolton is gone and in a fortnight, the entire north returns to the Starks, especially when Davos brings Rickon back to the real world. The Frey remnants try to run back to the Twins but Howland Reed, Glover and Mormont are waiting for them in the Neck and they kill every single one of them.

The Battle of Winterfell will decide the North's future.

ohhh i do like that! with Jon joining the FIGHT! love it! cant wait to see the Boltons and Freys DEAD! lol

Stannis will pull and Alexander Nevsky, the Freys will be eliminated.

Stannis men(1000-2000)+Mountain clans(1000?)+Manderleys(1000)+Umbers(1000?)+Mormonts(500?)+Glovers(500?)+Karstarks(1000) > Boltons (6000)

It's been awhile since I've read the books so I don't remember the exact strengths of each house at this point. I left out numerous other houses that also would support Stannis and the

Starks such as the Cerwyns, the Tallharts, Reeds as I've also left out the smaller houses serving house Dustin such as the Ryswells. Manderly only brought 1000 men with him to Winterfel, but we know house Manderly has much more manpower, he didn't send troops south with Robb, so his entire strength is still intact. He has more heavy horse than any other northern lord. Chances are he has a second larger force waiting nearby to help in the coming fight.

House Dustin is a wild card but won't be enough to make a difference even if they side with House Botlon.

The only question is what fate will befall Roose and Ramsay. Will Ramsay get himself killed doing something hot headed? Will Roose have Ramsay killed? Will Ramsay kill Roose? Thats the only real uncertainty at this point.

Also I must have missed something. What happened to Ero?

People forget that even without the Freys, the Boltons have the most men by far. Even Lord-Too-Fat, their biggest threat (heh), only brought a 1,000 men to Winterfell while Roose has near 4,000. And Bolton is fortified.

I agree that Stannis will likely win the coming pitched battle, but I don't see many ways he can quickly take Winterfell without some plot contrivance to undermine Roose (like Mance Rayder/Melisandre's rescue of "Arya" or Alys Karstark's flight to the wall - unforseeable events that screwed Roose over). The only way I could see is sending in Manderly as a ruse, claiming to have won against Stannis, and then opening the gates from within. But you think Roose would fall for that?

I say Stannis pulls a Nevsky on the Frey cavalry and the Manderly forces that Bolton sent out end up going to his side. If Stannis can obliterate the Freys and rendezvous with the Manderlys and get brought up to speed, he just has to deal with the leftover Bolton men and whatever other houses decide to stand by Roose (other than maybe the Dustins, which I don't really believe, I can't think of any — Cerwyns don't know how their heir died and Tallharts seem to be in a holding pattern).

Stannis is going to defeat Bolton but I think ultimately the GNC's going to keep him from enjoying it for too long.

(Also I love that the GNC is an accepted shorthand now, hah.)

I like this except I think Jon will arrive when Stannis has taken Winterfell and duel with Ramsay, then kill him. Roose will either die by Jon's hand or escape with the Frey remnants and get killed down south. And after that Jon will be declared King in the North.

You mean king of the wights.

Can someone PM me why E-ro was banned? Not knowing is driving me insane.

He recently got unbanned. So don't worry.

As for Stan vs Bolton, why does everybody ignore exactly what a bad situation the Freys are in, out in the snows with Manderly ready to kill them?

• 1 month later...

Think about it... Harrenhal is CURSED and so is whoever has held it ... ROOSE DID, and so did Tywin, Janos Slynt, and the Black Goat, Gregor Clegain, Lady Whent and the Lothston the Strongs, the Harroways .... and every single one of them DEAD except Roose, and in horrible ways at that... In Georges style of writing, this should speak volumes to you all, especially with the letter sent to JON about Stannis being dead.... the north remembers and so do I..... so remember the house of the undying, and the King with blue eyes that casts no shadow... Stannis is sure to win since there is that little fact of him winning over the iron bank of bravos and the karstark soldiers didn't know of their CASTELLANS plans to switch sides. but Stannis botched that shit and threw them in cells and married off the REAL lady of Karhold ALYS to the Magnar of Thenns, Sigorn. so i believe the Karstarks will declare for her and follow Stannis and since Manderley plans to switch sides, cause he is a prudent Man, roose has only the freys left to him... oh and lady Dustin... and he has just sent the Freys out to "strike the first blow" more like freeze to death. no no i think not i dont see a very good Future for Roose or his hideous Bastard but these stories need antagonists so I dont think the Bastard will die in the coming battle.. plus bran had only 3 chapters in ADWD and the last was one of my favourite chapters in the entire series and was the best written Bran chapter hands down with the flashbacks of kings of winter, his father, and ser Duncan the tall so im super excited to see how brans new position in the game effects the outcome of the bigger things. but George has kept Stannis around this long for a reason he's a large part of the entire story and to kill him now before Jon has been confirmed dead ...or Alive would just make all that led up to this pointless Stannis has had some subtle yet excellent luck in end of ADWD.... every thing pre ADWD was going down hill for poor old Stannis but a whole bunch of mitigating factors have put him back on top hes won over Most of the north and now has endless funds also he has alies he doesnt even know about yet (Manderley and white harbor)... oh and someone on here said that Wyman has only 500 men at Winterfell? I believe you are mistaken he was saying that he still controls more heavy horse than anyone above the neck 500 heavy horse a few thousand me and this is the important one hunderds of WARSHIPS.... and who does Stannis hold captive as of yet hmmmm wait for it ASHA and THEON maybe or maybe not enough to get some support form the iron born else wise why all the elaboration into the IRON ISlands in a feast for crows... There are two more books coming but thats not all there is also the dunc and egg tales and if you truly wish to know the whole story read them and of Brandon Starks mentor Bloodraven (brynden rivers) and REMEMBER those wolfs were born of death.

Freys will get torn to pieces but Roose is sitting comfortably behind Winterfell's big fat walls.

"Ned Stark always said 500 men could hold Winterfell against 10,000."

Jon won't join this fight since he dies to the stab wounds. Stannis will not conquer Winterfell, in fact he might just starve to death. Well wouldn't that be ironic? No onion knight to help him this time...When TWoW is released thousands of angry, foolish "stannismannis" fans come to this board and cry what a shitty ending their hero got. Perhaps Ramsay gets to flay a piece off before the pretender king dies. :lol: :smug: :rofl: :D

Archived