Who did Arya find in ADWD - maybe Tyrek Lannister

Inquisitor Glokta

Crackpot ahead:

Arya finds 2 dead bodies by the statue of the Stranger in ADWD. One of them is:

Curly hair, and thick. A handsome face, unlined. He was young.

He also has 4 Gold Dragons with him, which seems to be quite a lot for some random lowborn guy from Westeros, which would point to him being somewhat highborn.

Now who do we know is currently missing from Westeros who would fit that description:

1) Loras Tyrell

There has been some speculation, but i would think if GRRM would want to hide a hint, he would have the Tyrell coins with him.

2) Tyrek Lannister

He would fit the description. He has long golden curls and he's a Lannister so 4 Dragons would be nothing for him.

How did Tyrek get there? Well... Varys must have done something during ADWD, maybe we didn't even notice it. Could a young highborn lad from Westeros be a sacrifice for the Many Faced God, idk.

Just some random lowborn guy with 4 dragons? Do you have any idea who much 4 Dragons are for lowborn people in Westeros? Most of them would actually kill for that amount.

I never said it was a lowborn. Do you have any idea how many people in Westeros whom we've never heard of, that have that kind of money? Thousands.

It's just overanalyzation. No real meaning to it.

Just some random lowborn guy with 4 dragons? Do you have any idea who much 4 Dragons are for lowborn people in Westeros? Most of them would actually kill for that amount.

Thats is a lot for any lowborn your right and many of them would kill for that amount. However he said some guy that doesnt mean lowborn but it could be a lesser lordling who would have 4 dragons or a traders son from Braavos. Just because he has curly hair and has dragons doesnt mean that was an important bit of information it could just be a device to move the story along and take up page space.

I never said it was a lowborn. Do you have any idea how many people in Westeros whom we've never heard of, that have that kind of money? Thousands.

It's just overanalyzation. No real meaning to it.

I agree most likely this is an overanalyzation but with GRRM you got expect the unexpected as i said earlier.

I agree most likely this is an overanalyzation but with GRRM you got expect the unexpected as i said earlier.

Yeah but there's just no reason for any of those 2 options to be him hence why I don't think there's any foreshadowing here.

Interesting theory, I wonder if it is a bit of an Easter Egg , plot point, or just some narrative filigree. I'm not sure about Tyrek though, I thought that the temple was for suicides and I'm not sure that the FM would take too kindly to murder there (although they have bloody confusing policies regarding when a death is or isn't in the interests of the MFG).

I'm trying to think who else we've met who is young and heartbroken and who might have been in Braavos for some reason, though nobody springs to mind

ETA: We cannot rule out the possibility that he's a secret Targ :leaving:

Most likely this but with GRRM you have to expect the unexpected so i dont know who it is to be honest we might find out in the next books if not your right Winterz

This. Any little, unexplained, seemingly ambiguous detail is just a string left for George to pull.

Yeah but there's just no reason for any of those 2 options to be him hence why I don't think there's any foreshadowing here.

I agree with you there, for either Tyrek or Loras it doesnt make sense and doesnt have much factual basis. Both characters would have no reason to go to Braavos unless they were forced. Loras is most likely in Dragonstone dying or fled back to the Reach to help his family. Tyrek went missing in a riot in KL which probably means hes dead but if Varys did grab him and the theory that Varys is gathering lordlings of great houses to "protect" the realm by making a new government under his thumb basically then maybe Tyrek is alive. However IMO i doubt highly that Tyrek is alive.

The temple isn't just for suicides. Dying Bravos go there to end their pain after losing a duel. Whoever it was most likely was highborn, so it could be Tyrek, and if it was him you can be damn sure Varys had something to do with it.

The temple isn't just for suicides. Dying Bravos go there to end their pain after losing a duel. Whoever it was most likely was highborn, so it could be Tyrek, and if it was him you can be damn sure Varys had something to do with it.

Suicide and euthanasia (at least in this context and that of terminally ill people seeking to die there) are still conceptually quite close in that the decision to die rests with the person doing the dying. What I meant was that killing somebody and leaving the body there, or killing someone in the temple itself is very much a different kettle of fish.

Duels are a violent and early death, but it's a situation where two people enter into a duel on the understanding that one will not survive it. Murder is different in that the person dying has no agency in their death and hasn't been "selected" by them for an assassination. Presumably there's some kind of religious dispensation that allows them to take lives as assassins but they don't approve of murder on general principles and I can imagine that from their point of view it might be something fairly blasphemous to bring your victim into their temple if you're going to murder someone

Archived