Kings don't get POVs?

anonymouseuser

I've just been surfing the forum and I came across a reference to various interviews with GRRM in which he states the obove - Kings don't get POV chapters.

You have probably discussed this in the past, but it's news to me and I was wondering what the consensus is about how we should take it. Is it ????

a) No POV character will emerge as the overall "winner", so no King Jon, Stannis, Jaime etc., but maybe a King Gendry or Pod!

B) It's a play on words - no KING - meaning there could be a Queen!

c) Westeros etc., is all going to hell anyway so there won't be any kingdoms to be king of.

d) None of the above

Dany is some sort of Queen and she has POV, and we don`t have Stannis`s POV, so that means he can be King at the end. My guess is that doesn`t matter for the end, but is matter during ASOIAF. Jon can be King at the end, even with his POV. Maybe we`ll see his coronation from another POV, and once crowned he`ll have no POV...

ETA: Congrats to Talal :). You beat me this time :)

Dany is some sort of Queen and she has POV, and we don`t have Stannis`s POV, so that means he can be King at the end. My guess is that doesn`t matter for the end, but is matter during ASOIAF. Jon can be King at the end, even with his POV. Maybe we`ll see his coronation from another POV, and once crowned he`ll have no POV...

Oops - true Stannis doesn't have POVs - he's just mentioned so often on the forums it seems like he should!

I did! I can finally find happiness now! I have to go tell my parents the good news :P !

I didn't really mean winner as in an overall a successful person; just to identify whoever comes out on top

Thanks for clearing that up. Thats why I think that there wont be anyone "on top" since there will be no Iron Throne. I also dont see the Seven Kingdoms being seven in the end, I think there will only be three or four.

I would like to mentio every king in westeros with out a pov. not doing good at all. rob baratheon, Renly, Rob stark, balon, joffrey, all deceased the only ones alive are stannis and tommen. Most believe Tommen is on borrowed time because of the woods witch prophecy. I think I'm detecting a trend here. Stannis's time might be limited.

I've just been surfing the forum and I came across a reference to various interviews with GRRM in which he states the obove - Kings don't get POV chapters.

You have probably discussed this in the past, but it's news to me and I was wondering what the consensus is about how we should take it. Is it ????

a) No POV character will emerge as the overall "winner", so no King Jon, Stannis, Jaime etc., but maybe a King Gendry or Pod!

B) It's a play on words - no KING - meaning there could be a Queen!

c) Westeros etc., is all going to hell anyway so there won't be any kingdoms to be king of.

d) None of the above

I'm big on C) Jon gets his ride on a dragon and Dany and they mess up Westeros in their efforts to kill the Others. Just sayin.

I would like to mentio every king in westeros with out a pov. not doing good at all. rob baratheon, Renly, Rob stark, balon, joffrey, all deceased the only ones alive are stannis and tommen. Most believe Tommen is on borrowed time because of the woods witch prophecy. I think I'm detecting a trend here. Stannis's time might be limited.

I would be very surprised if Stannis is alive in the end.

Obviously, "no POVs for kings" seems like a rule here, but I have a very strong feeling that this one will eventually get broken before the end of the story. And it has little to do with Jon personally, or any other character, it just seems like that kind of rule.

I have a distant memory of GRRM saying that not giving Robb a POV during ACOK was a mistake in hindsight, true or false anyone? :P

Im not sure, but I dont think GRRM wanted Robb to have a POV.

I remember him saying that in fantasy the focus was always on the young king, and how the mother was never around. The best thing about this story is that it focuses on the mother of the king or the "hero".

And I must say to me, its a thousand times more interesting than Robb :)

Would explain why we get nothing from Rickon. Apart from him being very young.

That's actually pretty interesting, I never thought of that.

Daenerys has a pov, but she is a Queen, so I guess she doesn't count.

Im not sure, but I dont think GRRM wanted Robb to have a POV.

I remember him saying that in fantasy the focus was always on the young king, and how the mother was never around. The best thing about this story is that it focuses on the mother of the king or the "hero".

And I must say to me, its a thousand times more interesting than Robb :)

Yes, thank you, someone else gives Catelyn the credit she deserves. I feel she gets a bad rap. People celebrate Jaime's character development (which they should) but tend to verball beat up on Catelyn a lot for her bad choices (ie arresting Tyrion and letting Jaime go). Frankly it makes her a lot more interesting to read.

seems weird that kings dont get PoVs when Danaerys does and her influence is equal to that of a king when ruling instead of just marrying a king like cersei has. I wonder how this bodes for the theories people have for the ending of jons plotline (probably no serious impact but still.)

If you think about it, no King has had a POV so far: Robert, Robb, Joffrey, Renly, Stannis, Tommen, Balon, Euron, Mance Rayder and Aegon are all without POV chapters. I think GRRM excluded them for a reason. I'm pretty sure that GRRM has said in interviews that no King will get a POV.

Both Dany and Cersei have POVs, so Queens are obviously exempted.

IMO, this means that neither Bran nor Jon can be King in the North, or sit the Iron Throne. Which leaves Rickon for KitN.

Archived