Best Blood Claim to The Iron Throne: Daenerys, Stannis or (f)Aegon

Corvo Attano

To quote myself, literally two posts ago:

Read the disclaimer. This thread is to discuss blood right, not anything to do with right of conquest.

Then the cotf should have westeros, how do you think the targs took the kingdoms? Or the first men? or the andals? Without right of conquest, there can be no blood right to anything. Unless the people of westeros all voted on who should be lords and who should be the ruling dynasty.

Except that females can't inherit the IT for themselves. Rhaego, yes. Dany, no.

Females can inherit when there are no male heirs left, and Stannis may be a male but he descends from the Targaryens through the female line so by virtue of that he is actually excluded from inheriting the Iron Throne.

Then the cotf should have westeros, how do you think the targs took the kingdoms? Or the first men? or the andals? Without right of conquest, there can be no blood right to anything. Unless the people of westeros all voted on who should be lords and who should be the ruling dynasty.

The Targaryens built the Iron Throne, which is what this thread is discussing. They also united the seven kingdoms. Plus, I really don't want to get into a really deep debate about right of conquest, thats not what this thread is for.

Females can inherit when there are no male heirs left, and Stannis may be a male but he descends from the Targaryens through the female line so by virtue of that he is actually excluded from inheriting the Iron Throne.

No the Targaryens had no problem of males descended from the female line inheriting. They did not practice Salic Law.

I believe that fAegon is illegitimate (after sometime of believing otherwise) so:

1. Daenerys Targaryen.

2. Stannis Baratheon. Yes, he has Targaryen blood and is a male but Daenerys is much closer to the main branch, and bears the name Targaryen.

The head of House Targaryen is Daenerys Targaryen. As head of House Targaryen, Dany has the best blood claim.

Male heirs may come first, but there are no Targaryen male heirs. Yes, there is Stannis, but he is very far down the line and only has a drop of Targ blood from a great grandmother IIRC. Daenerys' parents were both Targaryen, she is of the main branch and is a true Targaryen.

The Targaryens built the Iron Throne, which is what this thread is discussing. They also united the seven kingdoms. Plus, I really don't want to get into a really deep debate about right of conquest, thats not what this thread is for.

Ok, i wont derail, but the fact that they built a chair does not give them exclusive right to rule westeros by any means. They built a chair, they did not build westeros it existed for thousands of years without them. They CONQUERED the seven kingdoms.

And thats all i will say on the matter.

On topic, (f)aegon, then jon, dany, stannis

or an argument can be made for (f)aegon, jon, stannis, danny because of this

I told George that when he changed Viserys I from a son to a brother he created an error in that Baelor's sisters did not inherit the throne after him, George replied that women came after all men in the Targaryen succession after TDWD. Something interesting and neatly explains Daena and the rest not becoming queen.

http://www.westeros....CA_July_20_232/

ETA all this also assumes faegon and jon can prove their parenthood.

Read the disclaimer. This thread is to discuss blood right, not anything to do with right of conquest.

Interesting debate, Corvo! But I don't think "blood right" and "right of conquest" can ultimately be separated. The Targs only came to rule the realm through conquest of six of the seven kingdoms (bringing the seventh, Dorne, in through marriage) and only retconned in the idea of "blood right" after that. Robert then was chosen to be king by those who took the throne from the Targs by, you guessed it, conquest. So, really, no one actually has any more "right" than anyone else to the Iron Throne and the one to sit on it will be only that person with enough support from the nobility throughout the kingdoms to do so. It's a "Might Makes Right" world.

I believe that fAegon is illegitimate (after sometime of believing otherwise) so:

1. Daenerys Targaryen.

2. Stannis Baratheon. Yes, he has Targaryen blood and is a male but Daenerys is much closer to the main branch, and bears the name Targaryen.

Well if Serra and Illyrio got married, which they probably did, he'd be a legit child.

As for the best claim to the throne I will say Stannis.

Ok, i wont derail, but the fact that they built a chair does not give them exclusive right to rule westeros by any means. They built a chair, they did not build westeros it existed for thousands of years without them. They CONQUERED the seven kingdoms.

And thats all i will say on the matter.

On topic, (f)aegon, then jon, dany, stannis

or an argument can be made for (f)aegon, jon, stannis, danny because of this

http://www.westeros....CA_July_20_232/

ETA all this also assumes faegon and jon can prove their parenthood.

They created the united kingdom of Westeros though.

How do you figure fAegon coming before Jon? Or do you believe that he is the real Aegon VI?

They created the united kingdom of Westeros though.

They created it with force, and lost it with force. The fact that they did it first doesnt matter. The starks were the first to unite the north, but the targs had more might so the northmen bent to the targs. Who does what first is irrelevant.

How do you figure fAegon coming before Jon? Or do you believe that he is the real Aegon VI?

If hes real he comes before jon, and if hes fake, well no one knows that so i put him first.

ETA to clarify, i do think he is fake.

Yes, he has Targaryen blood and is a male but Daenerys is much closer to the main branch, and bears the name Targaryen.

This is same question with Sansa/Jon and Robb`s will. Sansa is supposed heir but as a married woman she can`t inherit. Women never inherited IT, and that`s it. We may not like it, but even Rhaegar called Baratheons cousins, so Stannis is the only male that has right on Targaryen titles.

Male heirs may come first, but there are no Targaryen male heirs. Yes, there is Stannis, but he is very far down the line and only has a drop of Targ blood from a great grandmother IIRC. Daenerys' parents were both Targaryen, she is of the main branch and is a true Targaryen.

The Daughter of a King has a better claim than a distant cousin. The all possible male heirs first comes from the wiki which is not canon (and has been disclaimed by mods).

The original Dance of Dragons was between the Daughter of the King (Rhaenyra) and the son of the king (Aegon II) her half-brother. No one in the books regards Stannis as a Targaryen claimant.

The Daughter of a King has a better claim than a distant cousin. The all possible male heirs first comes from the wiki which is not canon (and has been disclaimed by mods).

The original Dance of Dragons was between the Daughter of the King (Rhaenyra) and the son of the king (Aegon II) her half-brother. No one in the books regards Stannis as a Targaryen claimant.

We do know that an uncle inherits before daughters too.

This is same question with Sansa/Jon and Robb`s will. Sansa is supposed heir but as a married woman she can`t inherit. Women never inherited IT, and that`s it. We may not like it, but even Rhaegar called Baratheons cousins, so Stannis is the only male that has right on Targaryen titles.

Robb rejects Sansa because of WHO she is married to and not just, because she is married. Even then I doubt this would be enforced if Sansa came back to the North. I only see Jon having sufficient clout and heritage to displace her.

I told George that when he changed Viserys I from a son to a brother he created an error in that Baelor's sisters did not inherit the throne after him, George replied that women came after all men in the Targaryen succession after TDWD. Something interesting and neatly explains Daena and the rest not becoming queen.

READ ME PLEASE

There's also the fact Prince Daeron's daughter was passed over and there has never been a ruling Targaryen queen.

Archived