Could the Knights of the Vale sack the Twins?

TheGreatstag

• Bronze Yohn Royce was friends with Eddard Stark
  • Eddard Stark was fostered in the Vale, so may have had more close friends among current Lords
  • Bronze Yohn Royce wanted to join Robb's alliance, but was stopped by Tully. If the Vale had joined the war, the Lannisters would have stood little chance.
  • The Vale seems to have a number of Lords who have a sense of honor, and have armies to go with their honor
  • The Waynwoods are marrying a child they fostered to a Stark
  • Littlefinger is trying to arrange for the Lady of the Vale to be a Stark, and hence mobilise the Vale's forces to the North
  • If they march up the Green Fork they will pass near the Twins

Could justice for the Freys be delivered by the unlikely source of...Littlefinger and his armies from the Vale?

Edited to Add (copy-pasted bits from a post I made later which fleshes out the theory):

• Littlefinger is also LP of the Riverlands. LPs are allowed to control their own vassals.
  • The Iron Throne - particularly if it is now run by Tyrells - must be aware that they need to distance themselves from the toxic effects of the Freys. If a Lord Paramount is acting against his own bannermen and trying to eliminate the Freys and has possession of one of the few armies that were untouched by the war, the Iron Throne will have to let it go. They don't have the strength or political desire to protect the Freys.
  • LF could promise them the prompt return of any hostages, potentially including the sons of Lords of the Riverlands and North. LF knows that he is the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands in name only at this stage. For him to gain any strength from that position, he needs a show of good will that will bring is vassals to his side.
  • Littlefinger becomes the hero of the Riverlands (also recall he was fostered in Riverrun), the Vale (where he is building allies) and the North (as he is fighting for Sansa Stark's birthright and avenged the Young Wolf. Whoever destroys the Freys actually gets considerable political advantage.

• The Waynwoods are marrying a child they fostered to a Stark

No, they are not. They are marrying Harry for LF's gdaughter, Alayne. As far as they know, Alayne is just a bastard. Sansa's identity hasn't been revealed and is planned to become public knowledge at the wedding

As for idea, I doubt it will happen... I don't think Vale Knights will march North any time soon.

No, they are not. They are marrying Harry for LF's gdaughter, Alayne. As far as they know, Alayne is just a bastard. Sansa's identity hasn't been revealed and is planned to become public knowledge at the wedding

As for idea, I doubt it will happen... I don't think Vale Knights will march North any time soon.

I may be wrong, but I thought they do know but are keeping it secret. I never imagined they would be OK about marrying Harry the Heir to a bastard.

I may be wrong, but I thought they do know but are keeping it secret. I never imagined they would be OK about marrying Harry the Heir to a bastard.

They don't. LF offered to help them with their debts, and in exchange he wanted bethrotal between Alayne and Harry. Waynwoods don't know who Alayne really is.

ETA: Here's quote

“Why would she marry one of her sons to... to a...”

“... bastard? For a start, you are the Lord Protector’s bastard, never forget. The Waynwoods are very old and very proud, but not as rich as one might think, as I discovered when I began buying up their debt. Not that Lady Anya would ever sell a son for gold. A ward, however... young Harry’s only a cousin, and the dower that I offered her ladyship was even larger than the one that Lyonel Corbray just collected. It had to be, for her to risk Bronze Yohn’s wroth. This will put all his plans awry. You are promised to Harrold Hardyng, sweetling, provided you can win his boyish heart... which should not be hard, for you.”

They don't. LF offered to help them with their debts, and in exchange he wanted bethrotal between Alayne and Harry. Waynwoods don't know who Alayne really is.

ETA: Here's quote

My mistake. Well they will know soon enough and presumably will be happy about it (although Bronze Yohn may not attend the wedding if he's angry).

There is no doubt in my mind that destroying the Freys is a big part of Littlefinger's plans. Destroying the Freys would give him a lot of goodwill in the Vale and the Riverlands and it would get rid of his biggest rivals in the Riverlands. Also the Freys are very rich and he would be able to use their castle , lands and gold as rewards to get Lords and Knights to swear loyalty to him.

About that, I've once read quite interesting and elaborate theory about how Vale Lords already know or strongly suspect who exactly Alayne is: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/75683-from-pawn-to-player-rethinking-sansa-xiv/page__st__300#entry3776105

I don't know how likely it is, but it'd definitely be nice to see Vale Lords plotting and forming their own schemes to thwart Littlefinger

There is no doubt in my mind that destroying the Freys is a big part of Littlefinger's plans. Destroying the Freys would give him a lot of goodwill in the Vale and the Riverlands and it would get rid of his biggest rivals in the Riverlands. Also the Freys are very rich and he would be able to use their castle , lands and gold as rewards to get Lords and Knights to swear loyalty to him.

Agree. And dont forget littlefingers feelings towards cat, whom the freys murdered.

About that, I've once read quite interesting and elaborate theory about how Vale Lords already know or strongly suspect who exactly Alayne is: http://asoiaf.wester...00#entry3776105

I don't know how likely it is, but it'd definitely be nice to see Vale Lords plotting and forming their own schemes to thwart Littlefinger

I would be surprised if Littlefinger was not aware of the Vale Lords plot's against him and was working on turning their schemes to his advantage.

About that, I've once read quite interesting and elaborate theory about how Vale Lords already know or strongly suspect who exactly Alayne is: http://asoiaf.wester...00#entry3776105

The theory is about Yohn Royce knowing, plus it counts that Nestor is someone smart enough to lure LF into trap at the Gates of the Moon. Also, we should never assume that Vale lords aren`t also some maive fools...

I need Sansa to Castamere the Twins. I need the combined forces of the Vale and the Northlords and Riverlords loyal to Robb to erase the Freys from existence.

:agree:

The Gods curse those who break the guest right and Sansa's going to whoop their asses ;)

Except Littlefinger is still unable to lead any of the Vale's armies so he can't really destroy the Freys.

They might follow 'Arry the 'Eir, though, and 'Arry might have a certain mockingbird tweeting in his ear.

I just don't see the Vale going to war for any reason as long as Petyr is in office,for Harry or Sansa or anyone.

I just don't see the Vale going to war for any reason as long as Petyr is in office,for Harry or Sansa or anyone.

I'm frankly not sure what LF's next move is, but I'm sure he maneuvered the Vale into neutrality (and thus full preservation of its strength) for some reason. On the other hand, the Vale is about to get snowed in hard, so I'm not sure anyone's getting anywhere very quickly...

I'm frankly not sure what LF's next move is, but I'm sure he maneuvered the Vale into neutrality (and thus full preservation of its strength) for some reason. On the other hand, the Vale is about to get snowed in hard, so I'm not sure anyone's getting anywhere very quickly...

well whatever plans he may have had might have a wrench thrown in with Aegon's invasion anyway, i feel like the Vale will have to pick a side at some point

Archived