Oberyn Martell Cast

fireandbl00d

Something has just occurred to me, so I thought I'd throw this out there to see what people thought.

I've read on some other forums/comment pages that some people are surprised that they didn't go for a higher profile actor for Oberyn, like Oded Fehr or Alexander Siddig.

In season 1 the two most prominent actors cast were Sean Bean and Mark Addy. And it's arguable that part of the reason that they were able to get such relatively well known actors was because of the fact that they only had to have them for one season.

Well the same obviously applies to the Red Viper. They only need the actor for one season

So why not go for a bigger name?

Could it be that they are trying to save every available dollar to put towards the battle at the Wall? It's rumored that D&D have said that that will be an even bigger battle than Blackwater. Could the fact that a relative unknown was cast be evidence of that?

Surely you've heard of a tan? My brother is the poster child for olive skin, yet he is somewhat pale until we get into the sun, after which he looks like a true desert dweller. You wouldn't call him white, you wouldn't call him dark.

You also linked an actress who's half Indian, half Dutch, which is not at all the heritage of an olive-skinned person.

My great grandfather was full blooded Italian and in the summer he looked dark as night but during the winter he was only slightly darker than my mostly Anglo family.

He got so dark in the summer that during the 40s he would always wear his wristwatch so he could take it off and prove in a segregated society that he was actually not a black man.

Something has just occurred to me, so I thought I'd throw this out there to see what people thought.

I've read on some other forums/comment pages that some people are surprised that they didn't go for a higher profile actor for Oberyn, like Oded Fehr or Alexander Siddig.

In season 1 the two most prominent actors cast were Sean Bean and Mark Addy. And it's arguable that part of the reason that they were able to get such relatively well known actors was because of the fact that they only had to have them for one season.

Well the same obviously applies to the Red Viper. They only need the actor for one season

Could it be that they are trying to save every available dollar to put towards the battle at the Wall? It's rumored that D&D have said that that will be an even bigger battle than Blackwater. Could the fact that a relative unknown was cast be evidence of that?

I think the cost is definitely an issue, but more importantly, if they get a big name, people might put two and two together and realize that he won't be there for long, like Sean Bean and Mark Addy.

Once he grows his hair out (or gets a wig) he'll look the part. I just want to know if he can act, but I can't find any serious clips of his work online. All I've seen of him is that one vimeo clip someone posted, which was kinda goofy.

I would have preferred Oded Fehr. But since I've been pleased with all of their casting choices so far except for Asha and Mance, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here. I'm sure he'll be good.

Honestly when I read the books I always envisioned Oberyn as an ugly fat guy who was charming and deviant enough to sleep around. I never pictured him as a handsome fellow until I came to these boards.

Pedro Pascal fits the look though I have never seen him act. I need to youtube him to get an idea of what kind of accent he might bring for the Dornish.

Can't wait to see the Red Viper! I'm quite confident they've found the right guy. Hopefully writing doesn't ruin RV and make him just one-dimensional character (another Blackfish).

I'm pretty sure we'll see some three way action with Red Viper in Kings Landing. :D

I really thought the Martells were a good chance to spice up the cast and present a unique and different culture from what we've been used to through the first 3 seasons. Pretty disappointed but won't really judge until I see the final product.

We pretty much get two different kind of setups.

1) greenish wet environments (North, Riverlands, Iron Islands, Stormlands, Dragonstone, even near the Wall) with all men of those regions seemingly very similar in appearance/manners/clothing (I do realize it's the same culture, but where are the colors!)

2) sunny places with stone structures that look like they're from the same quarry (and little variety in terms of style): Kings Landing, Pentos, Qarth, Slaver's Bay

The way they shoot GoT diminishes the variety. It's difficult to make Dorne different when Essos is so similar (oh-so-lame Qarth). Would love to see a bit more of variety.

Calling it now: Loras and Oberyn put the tensions between both families to rest because there's no gay man in Kings Landing apart from Loras Tyrell.

Hey! Just about to say that...

And how about a move on Lancel...

Not sure why diversity = black? I don't think there has ever been an East Asian on the show and they make up most of the world population. Black doesn't usually fit with the setting, barring Summer Islanders anyway.

On the casting, not a big fan at first glance. Probably spoiled from seeing Oded Fehr get pumped on this forum, who looks perfect for the Red Viper.

Well yeah, and don't forget Hispanics have had a pretty bad time in casting until fairly recently in the states, for years it was mostly drug dealers and gang members... One quibble was they never had a Hispanic doctor on ER despite the fact that there are many Hispanics in the profession in the US, some even at the top end.

Not the Oberyn that I imagine but he looks good.

Too bad he has to die.

Yeah, but

Viewers have to cry bitter tears at the death... Just like with Eddard and Catelyn, so charisma is a must.

Hispanic isn't as much of an ethnicity unto itself, that's why the US Census offers choices for Hispanics who identify as white and Hispanics who don't. It's more diverse than another northern European, but doesn't lend itself as well to forcing the show down the road to cast a whole bunch of non-white actors.

ETA: Like I said, I'm sure he'll be great. I just wish the show didn't conform to stereotypes and realize that, as a fantasy, it can have a bit more variety to its population.

So your problem is that they cast an Hispanic actor to play an Hispanic role; and being the only Hispanic actor cast so far, he adds less diversity than changing him to be a black actor, because we've already had a couple of those.

I neither know nor care what the US census office does; the guy is clearly Hispanic (as in, of Iberian origin). Last I looked Chile isn't in Northern Europe; and I've yet to see a photo of this guy looking "white".

For clarity, I'm using the English language as used in England; it's entirely possible that words mean slightly different things Stateside

Lena Headly is a fairly high profile actress.

Casting: You didn't even try.

Though after Mighty Whitey Dany, I am not that surprised that they didn't even try to cast someone with a darker skin for a more significant role.

And how is Young Aegon an excuse for the whitewashing? If he doesn't have any seemingly Dornish features, that could actually be a lead that he is fake. Or if he has Dornish features, then I guess they just would have to cast a guy that fits instead of an Aryan boy. It is not an excuse at all.

As for casting I don't get this big trust towards them, while there were some great casting choices, there were many flops as well.

I thought he had the pretty stereotypical Targaryen look.

I don't see it. I can think of half a dozen actors that would've worked better on looks alone.

This is the second casting after Mance that made me go "..huh?" and show!Mance was terrible (not entirely the actor's fault though, the character was horribly written)

I'll wait until I see his acting, but he doesn't look anywhere near badass enough. Judging from his photos, he looks so ordinary and dull.

For his audition he chose to act the most memorable scene his character was ever involved in :leaving: He started training for it few years prior.

Not what I imagine Oberyn to be, but...

Yeah, but interestingly that is dubbed "physical" theatre which might mean he'll be pretty prepped for the big fight. There are also vids out there of him playing a boxer...

Archived