Two Conflicting Theories

-Valyrian-

Is it weird that I think that the R+L=J theory is true and believe that Aegon is a legitimate Targaryen and heir to the Iron Throne. So if i believe in those two theory's does that mean even though Jon is a Targaryen He is still not the heir because of Aegon

I don't see how it would be weird. Real or fake, Aegon can still die and even as the legitimate son of R+L, J doesn't have be first in line for king because he doesn't have to become king.

But to answer your question: Yes, if Aegon is real then he comes before Jon in the succession (even if Jon wasn't a member of the NW).

I have seen weirder things... on would still be one of the heirs in that scenario, but alas as I believe, Young Griff is sake and Jon is Targaryen heir. As for IT, neither of them is the heir, since their family isn't the ruling family anymore. All in all, Dany is screwed by the boys :)

it's too much. no matter what you do you you're forsaking one theory or the other

but..but darkstar was supposed to be Jons twin brother and the Ptwp and aar and the last hero and countless other stuff :frown5:

I believe if Jon and Aegon are both legitimate, then the older of the two (Aegon?), would take precedence in succession.

Not that succession actually matters in this case. The Targaryens aren't in power and Jon, no matter what happens after ADWD, has no interest in the Iron Throne.

My understanding is that Rhaegar died before Aerys, so Aerys's children would have precedence over Rhaegar's children - if Aerys died after Rhaegar, then Rhaegar's children would have precedence.

But, as other people pointed out, Targaryens aren't ruling anymore, so only by conquest another Targ would rule again...

My understanding is that Rhaegar died before Aerys, so Aerys's children would have precedence over Rhaegar's children - if Aerys died after Rhaegar, then Rhaegar's children would have precedence.

But, as other people pointed out, Targaryens aren't ruling anymore, so only by conquest another Targ would rule again...

the son of the son always comes before the second son

I know it's an easy mistake to make, but succession doesn't actually work that way (neither in Westeros nor in Western real life monarchies like Britain). No matter whether the firstborn dies before the king or not, the secondborn will only be considered after the complete line of the firstborn has been exhausted.

Compare e.g. the Frey inheritance. Walder's eldest son (Stevron) died, but it's not his second son (Emmon) who stands to inherit the twins, but his first son's heir (Edwyn Frey in that case).

not really both might be true aegon could take the throne and then die abruptly it'll be funny that's my take on the situation anyway

:agree: I can easily foresee GRRM having Aegon sitting the IT for a short time until he gets his ass flamed by one of Dany's dragons. Problem solved.

If the heir (Rhaegar) has a son, that son would be ahead of Aegon in succession, no?

Look at England, Prince William is next in succession after Prince Charles, even though Prince Andrew and Prince Edward are still alive (and Princess Anne for that matter).

I know it's an easy mistake to make, but succession doesn't actually work that way (neither in Westeros nor in Western real life monarchies like Britain). No matter whether the firstborn dies before the king or not, the secondborn will only be considered after the complete line of the firstborn has been exhausted.

Compare e.g. the Frey inheritance. Walder's eldest son (Stevron) died, but it's not his second son (Emmon) who stands to inherit the twins, but his first son's heir (Edwyn Frey in that case).

Exactly. Which is why Egg was known as "Aegon the unlikely" as he was the 4th son of a 4th son, and such a longshot to ever become king.

If Aegon is real and Jon is a legitimate heir of Rhaegar, the succession goes: 1. Aegon, 2. Jon, 3. Daenerys

If Aegon is fake and Jon is a legitimate heir of Rhaegar, it goes: 1. Jon, 2. Daenerys

If Aegon is real and Jon is an illegitimate heir of Rhaegar or no heir of his at all, it goes: 1. Aegon, 2. Daenerys

If Aegon is fake and Jon is an illegitimate heir of Rhaegar or no heir of his at all, it goes: 1. Daenerys.

That didn't include the possibility of Jon being legitimized by either Daenerys or Aegon, since the chance of that is rather thin. The only circumstances that would make sense under are Aegon being fake and Daenerys proving ultimately barren: in that case, she'll need to ensure Targaryen succession.

I agree that you can believe both theories. One doesn't have to be true or false for the other to exist, so you can believe both.

I also agree with the Jon comment about serving the realm. If it was Jon's duty to protect the realm, then he can do that as King. I do not think he will be King, but the King is truly the protector of the realm right?

the son of the son always comes before the second son

Cool, I didn't realize that. Makes sense, property inheritance works like that as well. Then, I guess it boils down R+L being actually married or not then, right? I mean, would a bastards take precedence over a legitimate second son?

Archived