Quenyn Martell

bashford427

I guess I could buy it as a reason why Dorne would side with Aegon. That makes sense to me. It sure was a lot of chapters just to kill him off to serve that purpose though.

Then again, we had Brienne riding through a whole book before she ultimately met UnCat. Those chapters will undoubtedly be more or less cut from the show as well

I guess I could buy it as a reason why Dorne would side with Aegon. That makes sense to me. It sure was a lot of chapters just to kill him off to serve that purpose though.

Then again, we had Brienne riding through a whole book before she ultimately met UnCat. Those chapters will undoubtedly be more or less cut from the show as well

I don't watch the show but I'm betting some of the less favored stuff makes it in. They need a lot of filler.

There you have it, the answer to my rhetorical question.

The readership of ASoIaF can be divided into two camps so far as Quentyn Martell is concerned: those who find him boring and a waste of paper, and those who can't even be bothered enough to find him boring. He's THAT boring.

Personally, I always quite liked Quentyn and his chapters, for what it's worth.

I am so not on board with the Quentyn hate. Maybe I just identify with the "stocky inoffensive unexciting guy trying to be the hero" but I just enjoyed the hell out of his character and was rooting for him the whole time. Above and beyond his impact on the story going forward, which will be substantial, I imagine, I just thought his chapters were a lot of fun; but I guess that I was in the minority that I just generally enjoyed all the "we're meandering towards Meereen, will we ever get there, who knows!" chapters.

He's also definitely dead, though.

"When he raised his whip,he saw that the lash was burning. His hand as well. All of him, all of him was burning. Oh, he thought. Then be began to scream."

This is from his own POV. I'm going to go ahead and say that the odds of him popping up, riding Viserion, being like "'sup Victarion eat my dracarys!" are exactly zero.

I don't feel Quentyn needed a PoV. He could have just as easily shown up in Meereen where we could have seen his only important contributions to the story through Dany/Barristan. I honestly got the impression that he was just given a lot of screen time to add a "major" death to the book, since there are relatively few of them in AFfC/ADWD.

Frankly, if they had cut Dorne entirely from AFFC and ADWD, I wouldn't have complained. Then again, maybe they will factor more heavily into TWOW and ADOS.

This is from his own POV. I'm going to go ahead and say that the odds of him popping up, riding Viserion, being like "'sup Victarion eat my dracarys!" are exactly zero.

Squarely Rooted, you are becoming one of my favourite people to read on the board.

I don't feel Quentyn needed a PoV. He could have just as easily shown up in Meereen where we could have seen his only important contributions to the story through Dany/Barristan. I honestly got the impression that he was just given a lot of screen time to add a "major" death to the book, since there are relatively few of them in AFfC/ADWD.

Jon?

I agree that Quentyn's POV seems unnecessary. I wonder why he was included... even though I liked him.

The point of his storyline was to destroy any chances of a potential alliance between Dany and the Martells. When they hear that it was one of her dragons that killed Quentyn they will blame her.

His story also provided Daenerys' with hard intelligence about the appenings in Westeros. Especially, that one of her potetnial (hoped for/planned on)supporters wanted to use her as "player" just like all the other powerful men in her life have tried to do.

I think what people are really asking deep down is: if Quentyn's only point was to free the dragons and destroy any hope of an aliance with Dorne, why did Martin waste so much time with him when he could have been wrtiting something that actually tells us something about characters who actually matter in the endgame of the series?

What Quentyn did could have been accomplished in 4 scenes: Scene 1: Doran tells Arianne her brother has been sent to Dany; Half a book later, Scene 2: Quentyn arrives and asks Dany to marry him and is rejected; Scene 3: He gets all huffy and does his "I'll show her!" move and gets turned to charcoal; Scene 4: Barristan shows mercy and lets his buddies go. But instead we get his journey and everything else that went with it.

It almost feels insulting to the reader after all this time, all the waiting, to use up so many precious pages, so much precious story telling, on the waste of chapters that is Quentyn.

That said, it is of course GRRM right to write whatever he wants however he wants, but we don't have to love it.

Unless of course, Quentyn is alternatively useful...

I'm in the small minority again here it seems. I liked Quent, though his death cracks me up every time. Sorry Quent! :blushing:

Though I also love the Dornish in general. They've grown on me big time, especially during my reread. For me Quentyn was just far from most of your typical Dornish. He was cute and charming, whereas most Dornish are all about sex appeal and rash actions.

I figured his chapters were about releasing the dragons and ultimately Dany's rejection of Quent and yet wanting Dorne for an ally, but with the death of Doran's elder son and middle child, it's going to cause a lot of chaos even though Dany never started it. There's also the promise of Pentos to the Tattered Prince, I'm very curious as to how that might work out. Even though I've read Arianne's sample chapter, I had yet to really think of Lord Damian's point: Arianne against Dany. That could turn out very interesting indeed.

The point of his storyline was to destroy any chances of a potential alliance between Dany and the Martells. When they hear that it was one of her dragons that killed Quentyn they will blame her.

I don't question Quentyn's storyline as such, I just wonder why we needed his POV for it. That's what really makes me wonder; his storyline in itself is fine. It's just that we could have gotten it from Dany, Arianne and Barristan (and potentially Tyrion, for the part in Volantis?) without to giving Quentyn POV status.

Quentyn Martell/Theon Greyjoy similarities.

Both squired out as child hostages due to a possible rebellion. Theon to Starks, Quentyn to Ironwoods

Both of their mothers are very upset with this situation. Doran's wife leaves him and Balon's wife also.

Both are prince. Dornish and Greyjoy.

Both given false names. Reek and Frog

Both given advice to avoid death. B.Selmy to Quentyn to leave and M. Luwin to Theon to take the black.

Contrast to looks. Theon the smiler and japer. Quentyn the mud, but his side kick Gerris is a smiler and false coin.

Both are looking for the monster. Quentyn quest..the dragon in the pyramid. Theon find the direwolf monsters ( Rickon and Bran's)

Both believe their sisters and others will mock them if they fail in quest. Arienne, Sandsnakes and Asha, Balon and ironborn.

Both want to please their fathers ..to earn their respect.

Both believe they are special due to blood. Quentyn to tame a dragon. Theon about being ' ironborn' a prince of destiny.

Both have meetings in cellars or places under the ground with dangerous characters. Quentyn with TPrince and Theon with L Dustin.

Both of them are not sure of the loyalties of those they are meeting to scheme with and whether they will be betrayed. Quentyn with Pretty Meris, TP etc. Theon with Lady Dustin and Mance Rayder and spear wives.

Both actually release a prisoner. Quentyn releases Dany's dragons. Theon releases fArya.

Quentyn dies in his quest. Theon may or may not.

Martin seems to do this with characters in Westeros and a character in Essos. Similar characters with inverted endings?

We do not yet know Theon's permanent fate. Quentyn's might be a clue, but his story served to provide a reason why Dorne will not support Dany. It is possible Theon's actions will expose Bolton's fake Arya and the north will rise against him. Just speculation on my part.

Archived