character names in various translations

Summah

Are the character names spelled the same way in translations (in languages that use the latin alphabet)? And I'm really curious what the names are in non indo-european languages. And if anyone has read the chinese version, could you tell me what the names are in chinese?

ETA, apparently this forum doesn't let me type in chinese.

In the awful Italian translation they are usually not translated. Some are, though (don't ask me why). These are "Blackfyre" (translated as "Fuoconero"), Goodbrother ("Buonfratello" :bang: ), Bittersteel ("Acreacciaio"). There may be others, these are the first that come to my mind. The worse thing is that they are not translated in all the books, so we find Blackfyre in ACOK and Fuoconero in AFFC, and Bittersteel in the book when the Golden Company motto is mentioned (Beneath the gold, the bitter steel, translated as "sotto l'oro, l'acre acciaio"). This make understanding things very confusing (for a time I thought the Blackfyre were only involved in the Blackfyre rebellion, and that the war of the Ninepenny Kings was started by the unrelated Essosi House Fuoconero trying to usurp the throne...).

I thought they kept all names in their original but when commenting about books with a friend I came across some things. I Dunno, if you're interested, but I can only talk about Portuguese since it's my native language. They used literal translation of every castle, some names too. So we have Dreadfort (Forte do Terror), King's Landing became Porto Real, Riverrun (Correrio), Dragonstone (Pedra do Dragão), Nightswatch (Patrulha da Noite) and Winterfell wasn't translated. Gilly (Goiva) this one annoys me particularly because they kept many character's names in their original form, but decided to translate this simple one

These are the ones that I can recall since I've always read the books in english. The portuguese versions were released in 2009 or something or were too expensive comparing to the english ones. The sensation of having names translated into Portuguese is weird, very weird to me.

The Finnish version has most castle/city names translated, and a few characters, but not too many. Only names which directly mean something or consist of real words were translated. Luckily normal names were not translated into their Finnish equivalents.

Characters:

Gilly = Neilikka

Jon Snow = Jon Nietos

Qhorin Halfhand = Qhorin Puolikäsi

Castles/cities:

Winterfell = Talvivaara

Casterly Rock = Casterlyn Kallio

Dreadfort = Kauhiala

King's Landing = Kuninkaan Satama

Oldtown = Vanhakaupunki

Sunspear = Aurinkokeihäs

Storm's End = Myrskynpää

Eyrie = Kotkan pesä (Means: Eagle's nest)

winterfell:invernalia

storm's end: bastion de tormentas

kings landing: desembarco del rey

riverrun: aguasdulces.

And others but i'm to lazy

Casaca de Matraca=Rattleshirt.......... I lmfao every time I read it, it just sounds awful. The worst name in spanish

In the Hebrew version I'm pretty sure all of the CHARACTER names have not been translated, the only exceptions are the bastard names (Snow, Rivers, Storm...), that actually were translated.

On the other hand, almost all of the PLACES names that have a meaning have been translated. For example:

Jon Snow = Jon Sheleg

Edric Storm = Edric Sufa

Riverrun = Naharan

Dreadfort = Zur Magor

King's Landing = Ma'ale Melekh

Castle Black = Tirat Sh'khor

Highgarden = Ramot Ganim

Winterfell, Sunspear, The Free Cities, Qarth have not been translated though.

It won't let me right the names in Hevrew here so I wrote the way you pronounce them...

Winterfell = Talvivaara

Casterly Rock = Casterlyn Kallio

Dreadfort = Kauhiala

King's Landing = Kuninkaan Satama

Oldtown = Vanhakaupunki

Sunspear = Aurinkokeihäs

Storm's End = Myrskynpää

Eyrie = Kotkan pesä (Means: Eagle's nest)

Finnish and Estonian names are always amusing to compare. We have got:

Winterfell - Talitundru

Casterly Rock - Casterly Kalju

Dreadfort - Pelgukants

King's Landing - Kuningalinn

Oldtown - Muinaslinn

Sunspear - Päikeseoda

Storm's End - Tormiotsa

Eyrie - Kotkapesa

Riverrun - Vetevoo

Highgarden - Mägiaed

None of the real human names have been translated, though nicknames are. My personal favourite is Teraskalk (Bittersteel)

Also, Joffrey's tacky sword names sound a lot better in translation.

Finnish and Estonian names are always amusing to compare. We have got:

Winterfell - Talitundru

Casterly Rock - Casterly Kalju

Dreadfort - Pelgukants

King's Landing - Kuningalinn

Oldtown - Muinaslinn

Sunspear - Päikeseoda

Storm's End - Tormiotsa

Eyrie - Kotkapesa

Riverrun - Vetevoo

Highgarden - Mägiaed

None of the real human names have been translated, though nicknames are. My personal favourite is Teraskalk (Bittersteel)

Also, Joffrey's tacky sword names sound a lot better in translation.

Heh. Teraskalk sounds like Teräs kalkki (Steel chalk)

Croatian language

Winterfell - Oštrozimlje

King's Landing - Kraljev Grudobran

The Twins - Blizanci

Storm's End - Krajoluj

Highgarden - Visoki Vrt

Sunspear - Sunčevo koplje

Oldtown - Starigrad

Now i remeber why I read ASOIAF in English version :drunk:

Actually, Highgarden is translated first as Visoki vrt, then everybody call it Visovrt.

Archived