Restoration Rights?

Rhaegarsjoy

Both deserve to get their homes back, especially Arya and Dany, 2 young girls running away their whole life.

I agree, if you swap their names they could almost be the same person. I don't think this is a popularity contest where you say I want to get my family home back but ppl don't love me as much as they love the Starks so ill just go away. The Targaryens built KL every hill, sept, building and all alleyway is named after them just as much as winterfel belongs to the Starks whether that building is 300 or 3000 yrs old. Dany has every right to want to get her ancestors home back as much as the Starks.

I agree, if you swap their names they could almost be the same person. I don't think this is a popularity contest where you say I want to get my family home back but ppl don't love me as much as they love the Starks so ill just go away. The Targaryens built KL every hill, sept, building and all alleyway is named after them just as much as winterfel belongs to the Starks whether that building is 300 or 3000 yrs old. Dany has every right to want to get her ancestors home back as much as the Starks.

Couldn't agree more!

That's a bit like saying I should go reclaim some random piece of land in China because it belonged to my great grandparents - as opposed to a house in New Jersey where I grew up. The general context of home in ASoIaF appears to be "where you belong." If we're going by the ancestor argument of "belonging," Dany's home is in Ancient Valyria (or at best Dragonstone) not KL. If we're going by the "sensation of belonging to that place, of being a part of it," I still argue that the closest home that Dany still has as an option to her at the moment is the Dothraki sea - she has no real emotional ties to the 7K, they are not her home, but rather the homes of her predecessors. This doesn't forestall the possibility that, if she conquers the 7K, they could become her home, but there is no reason to see the 7K as her home at this point in time.

There is a very significant difference between Dany's situation and the Stark girls longing for Winterfell. It's saddening - that the Lannister propensity to kill even children and Robert Baratheon's vengeful wish to have Dany and Viserys murdered robbed Dany of ever truly having a home (or childhood) in the way that Sansa and Arya have Winterfell, but as Varys says,

Why is it always the innocents who suffer most, when you high lords play your game of thrones?

She is hardly the first child to have suffered, and she certainly isn't the last. And as a high lord, even though she is trying to do the moral or just thing, there are certainly innocent children and people suffering from her decisions and failures just as she suffered from the cruelty and failures of the Lannisters, her father, and Robert.

The First Men invaded Westeros right? The Starks conquered the North right?

You're ignoring the fact that Sansa/Arya/Bran/Rickon all grew up in WF, that their father is buried there, that they personally know the bannermen who watched them grow up. That is a definition of home - WF is a part of them as much as they are a part of WF.

Dany has no real emotional ties to the 7K - certainly not in the context of "this is where I had my first kiss" "I remember hunting here" "I fell and broke an arm while climbing that tree" etc. etc. - so they are not her home.

You're ignoring the fact that Sansa/Arya/Bran/Rickon all grew up in WF, that their father is buried there, that they personally know the bannermen who watched them grow up. That is a definition of home - WF is a part of them as much as they are a part of WF.

Dany has no real emotional ties to the 7K - certainly not in the context of "this is where I had my first kiss" "I remember hunting here" "I fell and broke an arm while climbing that tree" etc. etc. - so they are not her home.

Fair enough, although the Winterfell they know is all but destroyed and the people they grew up with massacred.

It's hard to quantify emotions but Dany, who never really got a chance to know her family, may have stronger feelings for a place she has never been to then the poor Stark brood has with a Winterfell that will never be what it once was for them.

Fair enough, although the Winterfell they know is all but destroyed and the people they grew up with massacred.

It's hard to quantify emotions but Dany, who never really got a chance to know her family, may have stronger feelings for a place she has never been to then the poor Stark brood has with a Winterfell that will never be what it once was for them.

I think it's strongly hinted that her mental image of home is the house with the red door.

From her visions in HoU:

I know this room, she thought. She remembered those great wooden beams and the carved animal faces that adorned them. And there outside the window, a lemon tree! The sight of it made her heart ache with longing. It is the house with the red door, the house in Braavos. No sooner had she thought it than old Ser Willem came into the room, leaning heavily on his stick. “Little princess, there you are,” he said in his gruff kind voice. “Come,” he said, “come to me, my lady, you’re home now, you’re safe now.” His big wrinkled hand reached for her, soft as old leather, and Dany wanted to take it and hold it and kiss it, she wanted that as much as she had ever wanted anything.

As I noted in another thread, I think this is the great tragedy of Dany's character and the reason for her mantra "If I look back I am lost" (which she uses as early as AGoT) - there is nothing for her to look back to, she has no true home, so she must move forward. If we were to simplify the stories of the various women in ASoIaF, I'd (over)simplify them as follows

Sansa - gaining agency

Arya - learning to serve

Dany - searching for a home/place of belonging

For me, at least, the overwhelming sentiment in Dany's character arc is this longing "I want to go home," yet not knowing what or where home is.

I agree, she's not thinking of westeros as 'my kingdom and were everyone will bow down to me and ill be their queen'. To her that's the only home she truly has and reclaim it in some small way would be like having that connection to the family she never had.

Archived