who is stannis army?

Don't forget that Stannis also has the mountain clansmen that Jon Snow helped him get. It sounds like there are a decent number of them too and they are relatively skilled warriors due to their martial culture, able to go toe-to-toe with ironborn and wildlings and win.

It's interesting to note though that Stannis was able to get so many powerful warriors to fight in his name just by being polite and respectful. Stannis, like his nephew, often treats those who owe him their allegiance with open disdain and contempt, which makes it easier for them to turn their cloaks and cover their ears when he calls for them to die for him. He absolutely has the right to command their allegiance but as Ned Stark learned in the throne room simply having the right to command someone's allegiance doesn't mean that you have it. The game of thrones is a game, and Stannis is learning how to play it. He had no way of stopping the Stormlords from betraying him but hopefully now he has learned some new skills that will keep his current coalition together.

In that case, Tommen would be the lord of the Stormlands, as Robert's son. Arianne says as much in A Fest for Crows. IIRC, when she's speaking to Marcella, she says something along the lines "your brother will inherit Storm's End from his father and Castley Rock from his Mother."

In any case, I don't think theres really an acting lord of the Stormlands right now; all that matters is which king you follow.

That's true. Stannis does still hold Storm's End and Dragonstone though, even though Joffrey attaints him earlier in the war. He left Ser Farring in charge of Storm's End which may make him the acting ruler of the Stormlands.

The thing is, that's all relative, isn't it? If a king declared a lord a traitor, then he's not a lord anymore, right? So if you're in the seven kingdoms and you're loyal to tommen, then Stannis is a traitor and therefore not the liege lord of the Stormlands. In that case, Tommen would be the lord of the Stormlands, as Robert's son. Arianne says as much in A Fest for Crows. IIRC, when she's speaking to Marcella, she says something along the lines "your brother will inherit Storm's End from his father and Castley Rock from his Mother."

In any case, I don't think theres really an acting lord of the Stormlands right now; all that matters is which king you follow.

it pretty much depends if they believe stannis' (true) theory on tommen and joffrey being bastards of incest.. why would they not believe stannis? sure he has no humor but atleast hes credible

also does anyone have a map of westeros with the location of all the houses and their seats? would be reeeeaaaaallly useful

those would be house valeryon of driftmark ,and house caron of nightsong and house florent of brightwater keep

The field of birds, I believe, is House Caron.The circle of flowers might be House Florent(though the most important thing in their banners is the fox,not the flowers).The seahorse I have no idea.

From the images on the wiki, I'm inferring the circle of Flowers to be House Meadows (though I've never heard of it).

Don't forget that Stannis also has the mountain clansmen that Jon Snow helped him get. It sounds like there are a decent number of them too and they are relatively skilled warriors due to their martial culture, able to go toe-to-toe with ironborn and wildlings and win.

It's interesting to note though that Stannis was able to get so many powerful warriors to fight in his name just by being polite and respectful. Stannis, like his nephew, often treats those who owe him their allegiance with open disdain and contempt, which makes it easier for them to turn their cloaks and cover their ears when he calls for them to die for him. He absolutely has the right to command their allegiance but as Ned Stark learned in the throne room simply having the right to command someone's allegiance doesn't mean that you have it. The game of thrones is a game, and Stannis is learning how to play it. He had no way of stopping the Stormlords from betraying him but hopefully now he has learned some new skills that will keep his current coalition together.

More than Stannis having mountain clans I would say he has a common cause with them.

From the images on the wiki, I'm inferring the circle of Flowers to be House Meadows (though I've never heard of it).

you're right sorry

the names were of the top of my head so a circle of flowers became florent very quickly

The thing is, that's all relative, isn't it? If a king declared a lord a traitor, then he's not a lord anymore, right? So if you're in the seven kingdoms and you're loyal to tommen, then Stannis is a traitor and therefore not the liege lord of the Stormlands. In that case, Tommen would be the lord of the Stormlands, as Robert's son. Arianne says as much in A Fest for Crows. IIRC, when she's speaking to Marcella, she says something along the lines "your brother will inherit Storm's End from his father and Castley Rock from his Mother."

Well, Stannis as head of House Baratheon is Overlord of Stormlands. I mean yes it is relative, but it changes nothing. Stannis is Lord of STorm's End

Before Aegon's conquering it in published chapters of TWOW

and by that extension liege lord of others. At the end, that hierarchy matters only in peace.

I'm questioning House Caron's presence, seeing as according to the wiki, they're all dead except for SerRolland, who's a bastard and at Dragonstone.

well,they were battered and far from home i think the troops are still with stannis their lord is dead but they stayed

but what's the number when we add the mountain clans,glover , mormont (i'm not counting karstark and umber yet)

At least five thousand, likely more. But they aren't exactly "Stannis' army", they're "the Stark's army who are currently allied with Stannis, exactly as long as their interests align".

it pretty much depends if they believe stannis' (true) theory on tommen and joffrey being bastards of incest.. why would they not believe stannis? sure he has no humor but atleast hes credible

also does anyone have a map of westeros with the location of all the houses and their seats? would be reeeeaaaaallly useful

Because it is easy to discount as self-serving (like Richard, Duke of York surprisingly finding his brother's children, aka the princes in the Tower, to be conveniently illegitimate and crowning himself Richard III). Only the readers and a few Westerosi players know the truth: to everyone else the accusations against Jaime & Cersei regarding Joffrey are as outrageous as those against Selyse & Patchface concerning Shireen.

Plus, in a feudal monarchy, homage and loyalty is given to the person of your liegelord. Yes, ultimately to the King but if your liegelord, Renly, declares himself King, it kind of kills two birds with one stone. Younger siblings have displaced unpopular older siblings in the line of succession so there is plenty of precedent. Renly, hugely popular and a carbon copy of Robert had years to win the loyalty of the Stormlands while Stannis is stuck on Dragonstone.

After Renly's death they do support Stannis as their liegelord and King but after the Blackwater Stannis' cause seems lost. Many of them are taken prisoner and swear loyalty to Joffrey - a simple recognition of the balance of power - a fair few escape with Stannis to Dragonstone and then the Wall, if you can call the latter an escape as they don't seem to do too well. Harwood Fell, Lord Peasebury, Ser Narbert Grandison are there. Estermont and Farring are loyal but at Dragonstone and Storms End on garrison duty I think. Connington and Swann are at Court in KL, the latter in the KG.

At least five thousand, likely more. But they aren't exactly "Stannis' army", they're "the Stark's army who are currently allied with Stannis, exactly as long as their interests align".

This is arguable. For the time being they are fighting with stannis and it seems a reach that northerners would turn on stannis for championing their cause. The North remembers and all that jazz

So how big is the total force do we know?

Nope. We've got only two hints for the size of the Lords honor guards: Manderley and Umber.

Theon's 5,000/6,000/more is a real shitty hint and may only server as a lower boundary.

A stab in the dark: another 3,000 Northmen. But it's pure speculation based on the number of Lords present and the examples of Whoresbane Umber and Lord Manderly.

This is arguable. For the time being they are fighting with stannis and it seems a reach that northerners would turn on stannis for championing their cause. The North remembers and all that jazz

They're fighting with him, but not for him. An important distinction should he ever do something to piss off a Stark.

Archived