Did Sansa Lose Lady Because of Lying to Arya

The Prince of Ice

This exactly was my very first emotion when I read the chapter and no sophisticated arguing about why Sansa had to..... and what Ned should have done instead.... can sweep away that very first impression. I have two children and at times they fought until drawing blood but when one was threatened by an outsider they stuck together like one. Sansa's reaction is alien to me and for sure she did not have all those little lawyers' tricks in mind as excuse some are considering here. This does not turn a child into someone evil, she is only a litle girl who by now has learned a lot but she certainly can be mean and selfish.

It seems alien to you because the way Sansa is already tied to the Lannisters by betrothal is an alien concept and difficult to appreciate. She really is put between a rock and a hard place, not simply because she's forced between her sister and her future husband, but also because her future husband and his mother wield considerable power in the realm. THIS is the "alien concept" that's difficult to appreciate. I don't think this is one of Sansa's mistakes that reveal she's just a flawed girl who grows. I actually think she's being quite savvy.

I keep reading that Sansa was put in an 'impossible' situation. When your little sister has been missing for 4 days, has been living on berries and then is being questioned for a crime; most people would support her. That's what older sisters usually do.

I think ppl are different and sansa is different than the rest of her siblings, she's only 11 and Arya is 9 but if the roles were reversed Arya would tell the truth and so would her brothers. The thing I noticed about sansa is she edits what happens around her and focuses on what she wants and compares every situation to her songs and stories like its a script and its not suppose to vary from how she imagined things going. With what happened to the butchers boy, her sister missing she just thinks how Arya ruined her perfect day with joff when it was them that came upon them, and again when jaime almost kills her father she goes to that man's sister because she wants to be queen someday, she writes to Robb to prove she's no traitor like her father to be allowed to marry Joffrey, she doesn't process or think about how LF murdered her aunt (tho he saved her) he stopped her, he didnt have to tell her he only loved cat and throw her out the door. I don't know about karma but I think her loosing lady which is a symbol of her house is part of a greater outcome to her story that she might turn her back on her family.

I've said it before: Sansa did not lie, she hedged. She had already told Ned her story once. Secondly, it is quite possible that she didn't remember the exact chain of events-the little girl was fairly tipsy at the time. Thirdly, it wouldn't matter what she said-Lady was killed because Cersei (understandably) didn't want a direwolf around her children, especially after Nymeria's attack on Joff.

Sansa would easily have supported her sister if this event had happened in a vacuum. If she didn't have any other factors to account for, all of which have been described above. In the final analysis, it wasn't such a simple, cut-and-dried, black-or-white situation as you seem to think it was. It was fraught with ambiguity and complexity, none of which you are accounting for in your arguments.

She was eleven years old, though. If you're that young and you're confronted by the Royal family (who you're going to be marrying into), then you'll probably be too scared to shoot off your mouth.

As Woman of War says Sansa is hardly a young Varys, thinking about the legal ramifications of everything. Sometimes things are as simple as you make them.

When young children are faced with their little sibling getting hurt they almost always try and protect them. This is quite natural. Sansa had the opportunity to tell the truth, but she knew this would ruin things between her and Joffrey. What was going through her mind was probably 'Joffrey will hate me if I testify against him so I won't'.

I've said it before: Sansa did not lie, she hedged. She had already told Ned her story once. Secondly, it is quite possible that she didn't remember the exact chain of events-the little girl was fairly tipsy at the time. Thirdly, it wouldn't matter what she said-Lady was killed because Cersei (understandably) didn't want a direwolf around her children, especially after Nymeria's attack on Joff.

1. Let's cut this out. If you remember something and then suddenly claim you didn't you lied.

2. She told Ned the entire story so despite being tipsy she clearly remembered.

3. Who knows what would have happened if Sansa had told the truth? Maybe Lady would have just been sent North.

I think ppl are different and sansa is different than the rest of her siblings, she's only 11 and Arya is 9 but if the roles were reversed Arya would tell the truth and so would her brothers. The thing I noticed about sansa is she edits what happens around her and focuses on what she wants and compares every situation to her songs and stories like its a script and its not suppose to vary from how she imagined things going. With what happened to the butchers boy, her sister missing she just thinks how Arya ruined her perfect day with joff when it was them that came upon them, and again when jaime almost kills her father she goes to that man's sister because she wants to be queen someday, she writes to Robb to prove she's no traitor like her father to be allowed to marry Joffrey, she doesn't process or think about how LF murdered her aunt (tho he saved her) he stopped her, he didnt have to tell her he only loved cat and throw her out the door. I don't know about karma but I think her loosing lady which is a symbol of her house is part of a greater outcome to her story that she might turn her back on her family.

I agree with this. It's only in my reread that I realised just how much Sansa like to alter facts to appeal to her perfect world. Depending on how she is feeling at the time, she will create her own version of events to fit her idyllic world.

When young children are faced with their little sibling getting hurt they almost always try and protect them. This is quite natural. Sansa had the opportunity to tell the truth, but she knew this would ruin things between her and Joffrey. What was going through her mind was probably 'Joffrey will hate me if I testify against him so I won't'.

But Arya wasn't hurt, though. She did run away but she was safe at home now. Nothing Sansa would have said would have hurt Arya. All it would do was damage her relations with her future family, and the Queen and future King at that.

As Woman of War says Sansa is hardly a young Varys, thinking about the legal ramifications of everything. Sometimes things are as simple as you make them.

Except that this doesn't require Sansa to be a young Varys to figure out. No one has suggested that Sansa calculated the legal ramifications. The issue is that Sansa-- the little girl preoccupied with things like marriage-- would be well aware that a consequence of siding with Arya to expose Joffrey would have terrible consequences. I am not claiming that Sansa is a political genius for this, but to say that she stays neutral out of malice, insensitivity or selfishness is absurd. The fact that Joffrey and Cersei would make things worse for her and her sister if she told the truth is definitely something Sansa would have calculated.

1. Let's cut this out. If you remember something and then suddenly claim you didn't you lied.

2. She told Ned the entire story so despite being tipsy she clearly remembered.

3. Who knows what would have happened if Sansa had told the truth? Maybe Lady would have just been sent North.

I agree with you. She had told Ned the truth the day it happened, so she does lie about not remembering.

But point 3 is completely wrong. When Cersei reminds Robert that the direwolf must be dealt with, the trial is already OVER. This is after the case has been thrown out of court, and Robert tells Ned to deal with Arya himself.

Lady dies because Ned, for some inexplicable reason, actually goes through with killing Lady despite the fact that he could have easily sent her North. He is alone with Jory when he kills Lady. After he kills her, he tells Jory to get 4 guards to take her body North so that her bones can be buried at Winterfell, and so that Cersei doesn't get her pelt. You want to blame someone for Lady's death, blame Ned, for idiotically following this directive when he could so easily have sent Lady0-- alive-- with those 4 guards:

He left the room with his eyes burning and his daughter’s wails echoing in his ears, and found the direwolf pup where they chained her. Ned sat beside her for a while. “Lady,” he said, tasting the name. He had never paid much attention to the names the children had picked, but looking at her now, he knew that Sansa had chosen well. She was the smallest of the litter, the prettiest, the most gentle and trusting. She looked at him with bright golden eyes, and he ruffled her thick grey fur.

Shortly, Jory brought him Ice.

When it was over, he said, “Choose four men and have them take the body north. Bury her at Winterfell.”

“All that way?” Jory said, astonished.

“All that way,” Ned affirmed. “The Lannister woman shall never have this skin.”

But Arya wasn't hurt, though. She did run away but she was safe at home now. Nothing Sansa would have said would have hurt Arya. All it would do was damage her relations with her future family, and the Queen and future King at that.

Arya had been living rough for 4 days? How was she not hurt?

Not true Arya was supposed to be punished for her behaviour due to Sansa not sticking up for her. Robert could have easily ordered Arya sent home or forced another punishment on her. In the end he left it up to Ned. Even more importantly Sansa does not know this at the time, so Arya could be grounded for a substantial amount of time.

Yes it would probably cause the engagement to be ended, but why would she want to marry Joffrey after what he did?

Has nothing to do with Sansa.

Not true Arya was supposed to be punished for her behaviour due to Sansa not sticking up for her. Robert could have easily ordered Arya sent home or forced another punishment on her. In the end he left it up to Ned. Even more importantly Sansa does not know this at the time, so Arya could be grounded for a substantial amount of time.

Sending her back to Winterfell would hardly be "punishment." That's more like winning the lottery.

And Sansa DID tell Ned the truth, which means that when Robert leaves the "punishment" up to Ned, Ned already knows he has no reason to punish Arya. As it stands, Arya did not receive punishment for this, so Sansa's lack of testimony didn't, in fact, affect Arya.

Yes it would probably cause the engagement to be ended, but why would she want to marry Joffrey after what he did?

No, it wouldn't end the engagement. It only serve to strain relations between the Starks and the royal family.

I don't know I think I blame Cersei for Lady's death. If you take Cersei out of this whole situation, say she was not there, she stayed in KL, and had no idea any of this happened, then Lady would not have died or been ordered killed. Robert probably would have been angry with Joff and ridiculed him for all of this. Cersei is not a reasonable person and as upset as any mother would be by a wolf attacking their child they would be more reasonable than to order the death of a different animal, maybe send them away but the death of an innocent is extreme.

It's not like she could have protected Arya against further harm. And it's not like she testified against Arya, either - all she said was that she didn't remember. The consequences would have been far worse if she'd actually said Joffrey did it. Sansa actually knows that the consequences for going against the royal family might be dire. Unlike Arya, who thinks she can hit Joffrey and just get away with it.

Because she's in love with him? She's 11 years old for god's sakes. I know grown women who would still stick with their boyfriends/husbands when they'd be better off leaving.

Except that this doesn't require Sansa to be a young Varys to figure out. No one has suggested that Sansa calculated the legal ramifications. The issue is that Sansa-- the little girl preoccupied with things like marriage-- would be well aware that a consequence of siding with Arya to expose Joffrey would have terrible consequences. I am not claiming that Sansa is a political genius for this, but to say that she stays neutral out of malice, insensitivity or selfishness is absurd. The fact that Joffrey and Cersei would make things worse for her and her sister if she told the truth is definitely something Sansa would have calculated.

She stays neutral out of selfishness. There is nothing absurd about this. If she told the truth then the most likely outcome is that her engagement is off. Worst case scenario she stays in Winterfell. These are not terrible consequences, but they are not what Sansa wants. Sansa wants to marry the prince and live at court. She selfishly choice to have the prince rather than protect her sister.

I agree with you. She had told Ned the truth the day it happened, so she does lie about not remembering.

But point 3 is completely wrong. When Cersei reminds Robert that the direwolf must be dealt with, the trial is already OVER. This is after the case has been thrown out of court, and Robert tells Ned to deal with Arya himself.

It's been brought up before, but if Joffrey had been shamed in front of the entire court, revealed to be a liar, whilst the wolf was confirmed to have acted to save Arya from mad prince wielding a sword, then things might have gone differently. It's because they cannot come to a conclusion about who started the conflict that the wolf is killed. Even so Robert is inclinded to believe that Joffrey was lying and does not want to hurt the wolf.

Robert did not look unhappy. "No? So be it."

A costly pelt," Robert grumbled. "I want no part of this, woman. You can damn well buy your furs with Lannister gold."

The king looked at them for a long moment, then turned his eyes on his wife. "Damn you, Cersei," he said with loathing.

Ultimately things do not look good for Lady, but Robert does not want to kill Sansa's wolf. Joffrey being revealed to having not only acted unchivalrously, but also lied and embarrassed Robert in court may have changed his mind.

Lady dies because Ned, for some inexplicable reason, actually goes through with killing Lady despite the fact that he could have easily sent her North. He is alone with Jory when he kills Lady. After he kills her, he tells Jory to get 4 guards to take her body North so that her bones can be buried at Winterfell, and so that Cersei doesn't get her pelt. You want to blame someone for Lady's death, blame Ned, for idiotically following this directive when he could so easily have sent Lady0-- alive-- with those 4 guards:

Ned was ordered by the king to kill Lady. Pets are important, but so is obeying your king. You don't start disobeying him for pets and expect things to do well. Ned is also an honourable man. He gave his word he would do it. I don't blame Ned at all.

The point is her sister had just been living in the woods for 4 days. Most older sisters would be worried sick with grief and feeling even more protective than usual. Not so Sansa.

Sending her back to Winterfell would hardly be "punishment." That's more like winning the lottery.

It's a punishment just, because it may have turned out for the best does not change what it was.

And Sansa DID tell Ned the truth, which means that when Robert leaves the "punishment" up to Ned, Ned already knows he has no reason to punish Arya. As it stands, Arya did not receive punishment for this, so Sansa's lack of testimony didn't, in fact, affect Arya.

No, it wouldn't end the engagement. It only serve to strain relations between the Starks and the royal family.

Robert left he punishment to Ned, but he could have easily ordered a punishment for both of them. Maybe ordered both of them to do some form or penance at the Sept or at a Heart Tree. Her words had a very real effect on whether Arya would be punished or not.

A matter like this could very well end the engagement. Ned was already weary of the thing and this could have been the final straw.

She's a 9 yr old who doesn't know poison berries from edible ones, she could have died. That's the first time she's left winterfel she could have been lost, attacked. From Sansa's POV she's thinking more on how this effects her perfect life coming true than about Arya, even now after everything cercei and joff did to her whenever she remembers lady it's 'when arya got lady killed', no responsibility for her or joff. Even in real life there are different types of children those who would beat their siblings but if anyone else tries they're dead. sansa in not that her friend Jayne Poole daughter of a steward calls her sister a noble horseface she doesn't tell her to stop.

She stays neutral out of selfishness. There is nothing absurd about this. If she told the truth then the most likely outcome is that her engagement is off. Worst case scenario she stays in Winterfell. These are not terrible consequences, but they are not what Sansa wants. Sansa wants to marry the prince and live at court. She selfishly choice to have the prince rather than protect her sister.

In what way was Arya harmed by Sansa's testimony?

Sansa didn't side with either her sister or Joffrey, so how did she "choose Joffrey" over her sister?

It's been brought up before, but if Joffrey had been shamed in front of the entire court, revealed to be a liar, whilst the wolf was confirmed to have acted to save Arya from mad prince wielding a sword, then things might have gone differently.
No, the wolf was brought into this AFTER the trial was over.

It's because they cannot come to a conclusion about who started the conflict that the wolf is killed. Even so Robert is inclinded to believe that Joffrey was lying and does not want to hurt the wolf.

Robert did not look unhappy. "No? So be it."

A costly pelt," Robert grumbled. "I want no part of this, woman. You can damn well buy your furs with Lannister gold."

The king looked at them for a long moment, then turned his eyes on his wife. "Damn you, Cersei," he said with loathing.

Ultimately things do not look good for Lady, but Robert does not want to kill Sansa's wolf. Joffrey being revealed to having not only acted unchivalrously, but also lied and embarrassed Robert in court may have changed his mind.

Prove it. You say yourself that Robert didn't want the wolf killed, but yielded to Cersei. How would the testimony have changed this? Robert already found Arya "not guilty." The wolf is a completely different issue.

Ned was ordered by the king to kill Lady. Pets are important, but so is obeying your king. You don't start disobeying him for pets and expect things to do well. Ned is also an honourable man. He gave his word he would do it. I don't blame Ned at all.

You won't accept that Ned was wrong here, because you are committed to placing the blame on Sansa to prove a point. Ned defies the royal family as it is by making sure that Cersei doesn't get Lady's pelt as she requested. You can't ignore the fact that Ned could have saved Lady-- very easily-- here. To excuse Ned's oversight in this-- to say he's right for obeying his king-- exonerates him for the role he's played in this farce, while condemning Sansa for not going explicitly against the royal family when she tries to stay neutral.

This is becoming quite proposterous.

1. Robert was pushed into a corner to accede to Cersei's request because he was forced to go out on a limb with no clear evidence of what had truly transpired. He therefore went with his gut feel, thus putting him on the back foot with his wife, when clear evidence from Sansa would have put him in a stronger position to ignore Cersei's demand.

2. Any claim that Sansa is considering the political implications of a falling out between the Starks and Baratheons is nonsense. An 11 year old girl who grew up with her father as the lord and master of everything in her universe, for a thousand miles in every direction, is not going to care about any complicated political issues. She would believe implicitely in her father's almightiness, and expect him to solve everything if he just knew the truth. Thus, the only reason Sansa lied was not to save her family in some way, but only to save her dream of marrying the future King, sweet Joffrey.

3. How can you blame Ned for this? He promised his friend Robert to take care of Lady. This was a favor to Ned, because he insisted that she was of the North. It was only agreed to because Robert trusted Ned. Are you somehow blaming him for keeping his word?

The mind boggles.

The point is her sister had just been living in the woods for 4 days. Most older sisters would be worried sick with grief and feeling even more protective than usual. Not so Sansa.

No, you have no proof that Sansa wasn't worried about Arya. This is speculation on your part. There is zero evidence in the text to suggest that Sansa didn't care Arya was lost for 4 days.

It's a punishment just, because it may have turned out for the best does not change what it was.
Arya wanted to go back to Winterfell. Robert may have thought he was punishing her, but in truth, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT ARYA WANTED, AND EVEN ASKED FOR UNTIL SHE STARTED HER LESSONS WITH SYRIO.

Robert left he punishment to Ned, but he could have easily ordered a punishment for both of them. Maybe ordered both of them to do some form or penance at the Sept or at a Heart Tree. Her words had a very real effect on whether Arya would be punished or not.
But Robert DID NOT punish them even with Sansa's lack of testimony.

A matter like this could very well end the engagement. Ned was already weary of the thing and this could have been the final straw.

Really? Then why didn't Ned send the girls back, with Lady, to Winterfell? Ned DID know the truth, as you already pointed out. Therefore, Ned already knew what happened, and if he's so "weary" [sic.] of it, then he's in the wrong-- by your own logic-- for not calling it off.

And a damn good reason to tell the truth, if I might add:

Quote 1:

“Enough!” the king roared, rising from his seat, his voice thick with irritation. Silence fell. He glowered at Arya through his thick beard. “Now, child, you will tell me what happened. Tell it all, and tell it true. It is a great crime to lie to a king.

Does anyone know what the punishment is for lying to the king?

As to the idea that Sansa was summoned to the court by Robert, here is what the text says:

Quote 2:

“Damn that woman!” Ned said, striding to the door. “Find Sansa and bring her to the audience chamber. Her voice may be needed.

Quote 3:

“They were not the only ones present,” Ned said. “Sansa, come here.” Ned had heard her version of the story the night Arya had vanished. He knew the truth. “Tell us what happened.”

@ OP

You might find your answer from this post here.

From Trebla:

We've had these debates before about whether Sansa's actions truly resulted in her losing her wolf and father. And whether losing Lady symbolized her ceasing to be a true Stark. In fact, we've had this debate in front of GRRM twice.The first time was in St Louis in 2001 while at dinner. GRRM let us debate, smiling and nodding here and there. He also told us why he created Sansa in the first place, because there is always someone in a family that the others don't get along with. He was a bit coy in answering our questions but in the end he did indicate that Sansa did have responsibility for Lady's and Ned's deaths. I reported this to the board and I recall it being dismissed by some. I distinctly recall someone saying, "Well what I think he really meant to say was..."

The second time we had this discussion was in Indy in 2007. There was a boarder there that didn't believe that Sansa's losing Lady symbolized her not being a Stark anymore. The person said so in front of GRRM and GRRM smiled and said, "Doesn't it?"

If anything can be gleaned from this post it is that the discussion regarding the meaning behind Lady's death will always remain controversial. I personally do believe that Lady's death is a consequence of Sansa's lying in front of her family.

Arya is not the only factor in this equation, though. Joffrey (who Sansa loves) has also been hurt. She is supposed to make a choice between them, and she can't do that, so she lies.

It still wouldn't be as harsh as the things that could have happened if Sansa had gone against her future King and husband. Most people would take a punishment that Ned would hand out over the punishment that the Royal family can hand out.

Nope. Ned already knew the truth and he didn't end the engagement.

She's a 9 yr old who doesn't know poison berries from edible ones, she could have died. That's the first time she's left winterfel she could have been lost, attacked. From Sansa's POV she's thinking more on how this effects her perfect life coming true than about Arya, even now after everything cercei and joff did to her whenever she remembers lady it's 'when arya got lady killed', no responsibility for her or joff. Even in real life there are different types of children those who would beat their siblings but if anyone else tries they're dead. sansa in not that her friend Jayne Poole daughter of a steward calls her sister a noble horseface she doesn't tell her to stop.

Like I said, Arya isn't the only person involved here that Sansa has to protect. Joffrey was also savaged by a wolf. She has to make a choice between them, and as an 11 year old girl, she can't make the choice.

In what way was Arya harmed by Sansa's testimony?

She wasn't but the point is this was down to Robert being lenient. For all Sansa knew Arya would be punished by her testimony.

Sansa didn't side with either her sister or Joffrey, so how did she "choose Joffrey" over her sister?

She sided with Joffrey. She lied to benefit whose side?

No, the wolf was brought into this AFTER the trial was over.

Exactly and when your son has been shamed as both bully and a liar it is not the time to ask for a wolf to be killed. Nor is it likely that the request would be granted here.

Prove it. You say yourself that Robert didn't want the wolf killed, but yielded to Cersei. How would the testimony have changed this? Robert already found Arya "not guilty." The wolf is a completely different issue.

Robert did not find Arya 'not guilty'. He decided both were guilty enough and both deserved to be punished. That's the point if he had declared Arya not guilty then things may have been different. Your proof to me it wouldn't. In the end there is no proof, because Sansa lied so all we can do is speculate on what would have been.

You won't accept that Ned was wrong here, because you are committed to placing the blame on Sansa to prove a point. Ned defies the royal family as it is by making sure that Cersei doesn't get Lady's pelt as she requested. You can't ignore the fact that Ned could have saved Lady-- very easily-- here. To excuse Ned's oversight in this-- to say he's right for obeying his king-- exonerates him for the role he's played in this farce, while condemning Sansa for not going explicitly against the royal family when she tries to stay neutral.

There is only so far you can go to defy the royal family. Ned could have saved Lady and what do you think it would have done between relations with him and Robert? Ned is already pushing things as far as he can. He is lucky that Arya is not punished severely as things stand. Ned got off very lightly and you want him to push the boundaries even further? Ned stuck up for his family as much as he could and killed the pet. Sansa betrayed her family at the earlist available opportunity and you are comparing the two?

The other thing that people need to bear in mind is that as cuddly and loveable as we readers find the wolves, Ned doesn't share that view. He views them much more pragmatically and was in fact in favor of having them killed when first discovered.

He cared about the wolf to the extent that it would hurt Sansa's feelings if it was killed, and maybe a bit more, but not enough to view the wolf as the equivalent of a human being being killed. And I do think to an extent the sub text would suggest that Ned's resistance to the idea would have been weakened slightly by the fact that he knew Sansa wasn't telling the truth that could have saved her wolf.

So Ned tried all he could, but when Sansa herself didn't do her bit, well, he kind of gave in to the inevitable.

Archived