Did you forgive Jamie or still want him dead?

Barbossa

I admit he did the right thing but there were other options, however Jaime isnt the brightest crayon in box as we all know.

Jaime could have kept his honor if he just thought rationaly but he didnt. He could have held the king till his father arrives and let him do the deed atleast he would be known then as a son of a Kingslayer instead of THE KINGSLAYER.

But "The Kingslayer" is such a badass title! :P

He could have kept Aerys as a hostage and waited till Tywin came in, but he was a new KG member, and the youngest, and probably didn't know what to do exactly.

I think he made a terrible decision, murdered the King and was never punished for it, Jaime Lannister should burn for his crimes, or at the very least I would settle for him getting his head chopped off by Un Cat.

If it comes to that then I hope Jaime kills UnCat and puts an end to her miserable unlife.

Not from his POV. The sack was going on in the city, everything was crazy, there's no way to know for sure Aerys could not somehow make his plan happen. The only way to guarantee it was to slay Aerys. After it was done Lannister bannermen came into the throne room, but at the time Jaime had no idea who the first people into the throne room could have been. What's to say Ned Stark doesn't attempt to take an unconscious Aerys as prisoner, only to have Aerys convince someone still loyal to start the fire. He did have other options, but A) as we all know, Aerys did not deserve any clemency for his crimes and B ) by killing Aerys Jaime guaranteed that KL would not burn.

If Aerys is unconcious how is he going to order anything? Cut out his toungue if you want to make sure. Jaime had other options if he wanted to keep his honor. I love Jaime as a character for doing it but it proves hes not the brightest crayon in the box as i said earlier.

If it comes to that then I hope Jaime kills UnCat and puts an end to her miserable unlife.

I agree. At this point in the story, I'd say without hesitation that Jaime is the morally superior character between the two of them, and it's not even close.

But "The Kingslayer" is such a badass title! :P

He could have kept Aerys as a hostage and waited till Tywin came in, but he was a new KG member, and the youngest, and probably didn't know what to do exactly.

Jaimes not that smart, it is known.

On a serious note Jaime I think must die so that Lightbringer can be forged from Oathkeeper, and Oathkeeper must first be tempered in the heart of a Lion after all. :)

I personally am a believer in the theory that the Night's Watch is Lightbringer, but to each his own i suppose.

I dont agree with this but i do believe Robert should have stripped him of his white cloak first thing when he ascended the throne. As a king i couldnt trust a Kingslayer to be in my bodyguard.

True, but Robert wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Jaime is a treacherous King Slaying sister fucker, he clearly can't be trusted.

If Aerys is unconcious how is he going to order anything? Cut out his toungue if you want to make sure. Jaime had other options if he wanted to keep his honor. I love Jaime as a character for doing it but it proves hes not the brightest crayon in the box as i said earlier.

Aw come on, cut his tongue out! Jaime did have other options, but IMO his best option was to open that evil bastards throat. And as King of the Starks pointed out, Jaime was 16 and really had no idea what he was doing.

I personally am a believer in the theory that the Night's Watch is Lightbringer, but to each his own i suppose.

I like that theory too. Perhaps there can be two Lightbringers. Then there was the theory that Lightbringer was Tormund's member that was being wargged by Jon....

Aw come on, cut his tongue out! Jaime did have other options, but IMO his best option was to open that evil bastards throat. And as King of the Starks pointed out, Jaime was 16 and really had no idea what he was doing.

Id agree the best option for the war and the realm is for Aerys to die im just saying Jaime didnt need to be the one to do it. He had other options so he could keep his oath. 16 year olds arent generally that smart.

Aerys was doomed anyways the moment Tywin entered Kings Landing. Wouldnt have minded a public execution of Aerys ordered by Tywin. Imagine Tywin reading the Mad Kings eulogy before the headsmens sword falls. Love to see the look on Ser Ilyns face when he brings the sword down.

Id agree the best option for the war and the realm is for Aerys to die im just saying Jaime didnt need to be the one to do it. He had other options so he could keep his oath. 16 year olds arent generally that smart.

fair enough, I suppose Jaime didn't need to do it. I still fully support and agree with Jaime's decision to do it however, and just adds to the already long list of things that make Jaime awesome.

I never wanted him dead in the first place. He's on my "irrationally love" list so I kinda forgiven him though I hope that he'll do some more good to atone for crippling Bran. That said, I want him dead by the end of the series. He is a great and interesting character and deserves a meaningful death rather than a meaningless life.

fair enough, I suppose Jaime didn't need to do it. I still fully support and agree with Jaime's decision to do it however, and just adds to the already long list of things that make Jaime awesome.

IMO if Jaime was a bit older i dont think he would have done it, probably would have carried the Mad King in chains out to his father.

I do agree that it was a good decision, a hasty and not thought out decision but a good one none the less. Still would have liked to see Ser Ilyn take off the Mad Kings head. Man deserves some vengeance.

Thanks for being respectful and reasonable Groat. Most would think he had no other choice when he had many.

First of all, jaime has never once expressed any guilt for slaying Aerys, his only regret is that he is remembered as the Kingslayer.

Secondly, Jaime's whole arc, and a central theme of the series, is honor vs morality. Were the KG members right to let Aerys rape and abuse Rhaella? Should Jaime have allowed KL to burn to the ground? Should he have followed Aerys's last command and presented the king with his father's head? If you believe blindly following an oath is always going to be the right thing to do, I think you missed a large theme of the story. Jaime was 100% right to do what he did to Aerys, even though the same cannot be said about some of his other decisions.

The whole inner turmoil of Jaime is whether he did the right thing to kill Aerys or not. He is never sure of it. He part of feels guilty, part of think he had the right of it. There are things Jaime never expresses guilt about - fucking Cersei for one. But the whole Aerys thing never quite left him.

I don't say somebody has to blindly follow the oaths and rules all the time. He should not have followed Aerys's last command and presented him with his father's head. Jaime didn't sit for days over Aerys's corpse. His father was sacking the city already, Aerys's fire was not exactly the greatest hazard for the population of KL. And it's really not about following the rules blindly or doing the right thing and going against the rules all the time as a great hero who is not afraid to do so for the sake of the greater good. You don't have to follow the rules - but that doesn't mean you can go up straight against them. Jaime had options. And he chose to murder Aerys.

And I really don't want to go into the KG letting Aerys abuse his wife, because that's another story.

right, i do not forgive him for pushing bran out the window, KILLING JORY. and other stuff he did. so i wouldn't care if he died. however... he could redeem himself by either, killing cersi (quite likely) but not just killing her because thats ound to happen, he then has to save the lives of tommen and myrcella, grow some balls and tell everyone that he is their father... after this it would be cool to allow him to be lord of casterly rock or whatever but the high sparrow or whatever would kill him for treason or some shit, not to mention dany would kill him as he did kill her father... OR, he could rescue sansa and bring her to lady stoneheart so she can be at peace and die knowing she has children alive or something. so i dont forgive him, but could be a positive character.

Archived