The Great Northern Conspiracy and the Show

Red R'hollr

Sorry if this has been mentioned before or if I should have posted this somewhere else. But I have been reading about the Great Northern Conspiracy and how, due to Robb's will and legitimizing Jon, that he will become king in the north and all the northern lords are waiting right now for Bolton and Stannis to weaken eachother.

I was just thinking that in the show I dont remember Robb creating his will or legitimizing Jon. Does anyone think this weakens this theory? I know the show and the book have their differences but this seems like a big difference if it is to become a central plot line later. Unless they just say in a couple seasons, "Oh before he was murdered Robb wrote this will" out of nowhere and everyone believes it.

It's easy. They can bring back Richard Madden, Oona Chaplin, and Michelle Fairley and film a scene that takes place in front of a weirwood where Robb, Cat, Talisa, and maybe the Blackfish discuss who should be the heir if something should happen to Robb or his unborn child. Robb just needs to say that Sansa is still held by the Lannisters and the rest of his siblings are lost so if something should happen, he wants Jon to take Winterfell. Then he can hand the will to the Blackfish and tell him to give it to loyal bannermen for safe keeping.

Viewers can see it through the weirnet when Bran gets there. Problem solved.

Maybe they have already filmed this scene and are just waiting for this plot to become popular(season 5 or 6) then show this scene via Bran's vision. I am pretty sure they wouldn't bring back like 2 dead chars just to film a 30 second scene.

Like how they brought back Jason Momoa for one scene?

If you believe R+L=J, and that J is AA and/or PTWP then Robb's will is kinda redundant. The show's northern lords might even decide for themselves that Jon should be the heir, it's not an insurmountable obstacle, plot-wise. The show tends not to introduce plot threads that won't become important in the short term, because non-readers have enough trouble following the main thread of the plot.

If you believe R+L=J, and that J is AA and/or PTWP then Robb's will is kinda redundant. The show's northern lords might even decide for themselves that Jon should be the heir, it's not an insurmountable obstacle, plot-wise. The show tends not to introduce plot threads that won't become important in the short term, because non-readers have enough trouble following the main thread of the plot.

I agree with this. The show has, in general, not made as much of a point about the taint of being a bastard. If the GNC is in fact true (which I truly hope it is) , than with Bran, Rickon, and Arya presumed dead and Sansa married to a Lannister I don't see any reason for the Northern lords to not make an effort to take it upon themselves to crown Jon.

I agree with this. The show has, in general, not made as much of a point about the taint of being a bastard. If the GNC is in fact true (which I truly hope it is) , than with Bran, Rickon, and Arya presumed dead and Sansa married to a Lannister I don't see any reason for the Northern lords to not make an effort to take it upon themselves to crown Jon.

The only problem with this is that Manderly knows Rickon is alive and sends Davos to save him. Why would they choose Jon if they know Rickon is alive?

The only problem with this is that Manderly knows Rickon is alive and sends Davos to save him. Why would they choose Jon if they know Rickon is alive?

Also, why would they give Stannis a hostage if they mean to declare Jon King in the North? We all know how Stannis will feel about that.

I think Rickon and Jon are two different 'GNC' theories. Anyhow, in the show, Rickon is 'going to the Umbers'. I wonder how that will work out and whether they will have Skagos or not.

That is of course assuming that in the show they show that Manderly knows Rickon is still alive, and Davos is sent on his mission to Skagos. Which, given the number of changes they have made from book to show, is hardly a given.

I think Rickon and Jon are two different 'GNC' theories. Anyhow, in the show, Rickon is 'going to the Umbers'. I wonder how that will work out and whether they will have Skagos or not.

This isn't an issue, because even in the books Skagos was never 'planned'. Osha said she might take him to White Harbour.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before or if I should have posted this somewhere else. But I have been reading about the Great Northern Conspiracy and how, due to Robb's will and legitimizing Jon, that he will become king in the north and all the northern lords are waiting right now for Bolton and Stannis to weaken eachother.

I was just thinking that in the show I dont remember Robb creating his will or legitimizing Jon. Does anyone think this weakens this theory? I know the show and the book have their differences but this seems like a big difference if it is to become a central plot line later. Unless they just say in a couple seasons, "Oh before he was murdered Robb wrote this will" out of nowhere and everyone believes it.

I know people harp on about how the show has no impact on the books from a plot perspective, but to me, it just seems that the GNC is sort of wishful thinking and probably not going to play out how we had thought. With only 2 books left and a lot of other things to resolve as well, it may just end up not really mattering that much even if it does play out somewhat as expected.

Hoping its still going to be introduced at a later point, somehow, like maybe through a Bran vision.

Really like the GNC theory, hoping it's true, but if there's no mention of Robb's will during the 4th season then I am going to wonder if the showrunners, having been told future plot points by GRRM, have realized it's not important.

He probably was named heir but the scene wasn't shown. However, like the books (hopefully) it will be revealed to Jon at some point, coming as a shock to him and the audience.

It will be one of those important things that has happened but wasn't shown, coming as an unexpected surprise. Perhaps, there will be a mystery- Northern Lords keeping a secret and the audience knowing this but not knowing what the secret is until it's revealed to be Jon being heir.

This would be a good plot surprise for the audience as 'The King in the North' will have been out of the picture for awhile but then its revealed the role could be Jon's- who at this point will be a very admirable character, being LC and all. We'll have hope for the North once more.

He probably was named heir but the scene wasn't shown.

That I don't believe. Because not only did they remove the scene where the will is actually drafted, they studiously removed the entire context in which the will was necessary: no certainty that Bran and Rickon are dead, an heir of his own on the way, no knowledge of Sansa's marriage.

That I don't believe. Because not only did they remove the scene where the will is actually drafted, they studiously removed the entire context in which the will was necessary: no certainty that Bran and Rickon are dead, an heir of his own on the way, no knowledge of Sansa's marriage.

I'm just really hoping Jon was made heir. I thought that scene was good character development for Robb (it showed he cared and trusted his 'Bastard' brother), Jon (it opened new possibilities for his character) and Catelyn talked about the Blackfyre's which is important if Aegon turns out to be one.

It's probably one of my most disappointing missed scenes on the show so far.

It's probably one of my most disappointing missed scenes on the show so far.

I agree. In the book it showed how much Robb trusted Jon and that he thought he could be a great leader. It also showed how Cat still hated him deep down. Instead we end up with no will scene, and get a Cat regretting how she treated Jon scene. Lame

Archived