Why all the grudges against Eddard Stark ?

Pod The Impaler

Lets go through these one at a time.

1. Jaime hates Ned because he decided to get all judgemental without even bothering to ask why he changed sides. Ned automatically assumes that he has no honor. Despite the fact that I am a Ned fan this tendency of Ned's to judge others with relatively little information annoyed me. After all, what was Jaime supposed to do? Die for a King that would have incinerated KL:? Is that honor?

2. Cersei hates him because he threatened her children. Robert may very well have had them put to death. That is enough to make any parent hate someone.

3. Where does Tywin ever say he has no respect for him? Second, how could he not see him as an adversary? Ned is quite frankly the reason the realm descended into war how could Tywin like him?

4. Stannis acknowledges Ned's honor, which if you look at one of Ned's chapters is exactly what Ned does. Ned says Stannis is just, but harsh or something like that. They are obviously not friends, which I found ironic since those two seemed to have the most strict and judging form of honor ever seen.

5. Renly really has no reason to like Ned as he plans to put his brother on the throne.

6. Daenerys is misinformed on several fronts, but it can still be argued that Ned had a hand to play in the death of her family because he joined the war. Not entirely rational, but feelings rarely are.

7.Jorah loved his wife and was doing whatever he could to keep her. When he was exciled for what he felt was a small crime he then lost his wife. Thus he attaches the loss of his wife to Ned, not his lack of wealth.

8. Not sure Balon Greyjoy sabotaged his own goals. He was right to believe that at that time the other kingdoms were too well defended to attack. The North is huge and that is its weakness. Seems like sound planning on his part.

Everyone hates you when you are the rock star of Westeros. Ned was the plain Jane who got be a war hero, hence the jealousy factor.

Also, enmity builds over time. Think of, say Canada, where the Liberal Party was in charge for a very long time, and despite the fact Paul Martin would have made the best Prime Minister Canada had ever had, he was railroaded out of office, not quite as harshly as Ned, because that's the the way it happens.

In Westeros, the Starks have been in charge for a very long time and every now and then they have to beat down rebellions even if there was no particular spark (like a Night King Stark), to motivate the rebellion, so it's all just anger and imagined slights built up over time.

"You have enemies? Good, that means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life"

- Winston Churchill

These express something close to my views on this topic. A prominent figure like Ned is inevitably going to make enemies and have people who harbor secret resentments that they might never reveal while the person was alive. Some of them reflect Ned's faults, but others serve to underscore his strengths while exposing the flaws of the haters.

This is spot on.

Except for Lady Dustin IMO.

I think Lady Dustin might be the only one with other reasons for disliking Ned, in that he appears to have forgotten a lot of the old ways, at least he didn't tell any of them to any of his children if he knew them, which would have been really really helpfull for Jon right now. Although maybe he just didn't know any of them, and they had been lost long before him.

IDK I just think she might have a hidden reason thats not caused by the whole "I am rubber you a glue" thing Ned has going on.

I sympathize with Lady Dustin but its not like Ned left her husbands body in a ditch. He buried all the dead at the Tower of Joy in what I deem a respectful manner. Now if she wanted him buried at home she could have sent people out to bring his bones back home. I don't see Ned having a problem with this. I don't think it was done as a slight, Ned went to Starfall to return Dawn after the battle but didn't take the body of Ser Dayne. I think Lady Dustin is just angry and her anger at Ned has been exagerated by people in the North.

As for the rest who knows, she may be bitter because he's not Brandon.

Lets go through these one at a time.

1. Jaime hates Ned because he decided to get all judgemental without even bothering to ask why he changed sides. Ned automatically assumes that he has no honor. Despite the fact that I am a Ned fan this tendency of Ned's to judge others with relatively little information annoyed me. After all, what was Jaime supposed to do? Die for a King that would have incinerated KL:? Is that honor?

2. Cersei hates him because he threatened her children. Robert may very well have had them put to death. That is enough to make any parent hate someone.

3. Where does Tywin ever say he has no respect for him? Second, how could he not see him as an adversary? Ned is quite frankly the reason the realm descended into war how could Tywin like him?

4. Stannis acknowledges Ned's honor, which if you look at one of Ned's chapters is exactly what Ned does. Ned says Stannis is just, but harsh or something like that. They are obviously not friends, which I found ironic since those two seemed to have the most strict and judging form of honor ever seen.

5. Renly really has no reason to like Ned as he plans to put his brother on the throne.

6. Daenerys is misinformed on several fronts, but it can still be argued that Ned had a hand to play in the death of her family because he joined the war. Not entirely rational, but feelings rarely are.

7.Jorah loved his wife and was doing whatever he could to keep her. When he was exciled for what he felt was a small crime he then lost his wife. Thus he attaches the loss of his wife to Ned, not his lack of wealth.

8. Not sure Balon Greyjoy sabotaged his own goals. He was right to believe that at that time the other kingdoms were too well defended to attack. The North is huge and that is its weakness. Seems like sound planning on his part.

Ned did not threaten Cersei's children...Ned did all he could to make sure she had time to do what was right and get her children under Tywin's protection. Ned just didn't realize how evil and self-centered Cersei can get and neither did we as readers.

Ned and everbody else was not privy to the Wildfire that the Mad King had stashed all over KL and what he mean to do with Wildfire. Ned was not being judgemental anymore than anyone else being put in that situation.

Renly does not hate Ned either. He wanted Ned to be the ruler of KL and was willing to back him up...only when it became clear that Ned had no desire to rule and that he firmly wanted Stannis on the throne, Renly decided otherwise.

Ned did not threaten Cersei's children...Ned did all he could to make sure she had time to do what was right and get her children under Tywin's protection. Ned just didn't realize how evil and self-centered Cersei can get and neither did we as readers.

Ned and everbody else was not privy to the Wildfire that the Mad King had stashed all over KL and what he mean to do with Wildfire. Ned was not being judgemental anymore than anyone else being put in that situation.

Renly does not hate Ned either. He wanted Ned to be the ruler of KL and was willing to back him up...only when it became clear that Ned had no desire to rule and that he firmly wanted Stannis on the throne, Renly decided otherwise.

Tywin would have been able to protect them about as well as Balon Greyjoy protected his kid's during his rebellion. Robert would have been wroth and demanded them back. At that point it would all have gone to hell. I understand that Ned didn't directly threaten her kids, but indirectly they would have suffered due to his decision to tell Robert. Not saying he wasn't right to do so, I personally think he was, I'm simply pointing out why Cersei wouldn't like him.

Perhaps Ned didn't know about the wildfire, but he did know that Aery's was batshit crazy. Ned led the rebellion, along with Robert, to end his reign. As soon as Jaime does exactly that Ned decides that the circumstances weren't honorable. As if dying for an insane lunatic, when you know the other side has the right of it, is the honorable thing to do.

I'll accept that Renly doesn't hate Ned. Your right that he is indifferent to him. I was simply trying to answer the OP and the people listed there.

• 1 month later...

I don't think any of these people really hated Ned as a person, just as a participant in something that was against their interests or a symbol for something else. Ned's reserved nature and strong sense of honor could easily be mistranslated as coldness and arrogance by someone who doesn't know him well, which none of them did.

Jaime: Everyone who judged him for killing Aerys

Cersei: Another political adversary threatening her and her children

Joffrey: A traitor. Suffers from having misinformation

Tywin: Just another lord playing the game

Stannis: All the brotherly love Robert denied him

Renly: Just another player in the game

Dany: The man who fought against her family. Like Joffrey, she suffers from having misinformation

Jorah: Easier to blame Ned for enforcing the laws than himself for breaking them.

Balon: In his mind, the Greyjoy Rebellion was justified, so Ned was wrong to put a stop to it

Barbery: Wanted to marry a Stark and Ned "let" her husband die at the ToJ. Not his fault, but he's the easiest target.

you mean the same guy who chose to lie to keep his family safe and lost his head for it? What a selfish dick.

Basically started a war by being an idiot. Therefore he killed his son Robb and his wife. He is very very very stupid. Thousands died. The riverlands is in ruin, winterfell is technically in ruin and the leige Lord is now the Boltons. The destruction of House Stark is caused by his stupidity. Just because he feels he is more morally superior than everyone else. Yes. What a Dick.

Basically started a war by being an idiot. Therefore he killed his son Robb and his wife. He is very very very stupid. Thousands died. The riverlands is in ruin, winterfell is technically in ruin and the leige Lord is now the Boltons. The destruction of House Stark is caused by his stupidity. Just because he feels he is more morally superior than everyone else. Yes. What a Dick.

Ned started the war? Not the twincest? Not the Kingslayer tossing Ned's innocent son damn near to his death? Not me lying to Catelyn and betraying Ned?

Why you are blaming Ned for Robb's stupidity? The 'destruction' of House Stark was arguably caused by Robb. Also, when does Ned ever claim to be morally superior to anyone? Keep in mind, that we are talking about shy, reticent Ned who never boasts and never claims to be superior to anyone.

Ned started the war? Not the twincest? Not the Kingslayer tossing Ned's innocent son damn near to his death? Not me lying to Catelyn and betraying Ned?

Littlefinger (you) needed a catalyst and Ned became that Catalyst. Him threatening Cersei was the icing on the cake. If he went about his business the smart way instead of the honourable way then thousands of lives may have been spared.

Why you are blaming Ned for Robb's stupidity? The 'destruction' of House Stark was arguably caused by Robb. Also, when does Ned ever claim to be morally superior to anyone? Keep in mind, that we are talking about shy, reticent Ned who never boasts and never claims to be superior to anyone.

Ned going about his business the wrong way made his son march south. It all caused a domino effect.

Littlefinger (you) needed a catalyst and Ned became that Catalyst. Him threatening Cersei was the icing on the cake. If he went about his business the smart way instead of the honourable way then thousands of lives may have been spared.

Littlefinger was the one who technically commenced the war, Ned's actions barely contributed to the war. LF made Lysa poison Jon Arryn and send the letter to Catelyn and he told Joffrey to kill Ned. Jaime's actions contributed to war far more than Ned's.

Twincest and teh Bran incident started nothing as there was nothing but suspicion which no one alive, not even conscious Bran, could back up. Nothing to do with the war.

You might have a point with Littlefinger, but it was Cats choice to bring Tyrion away from Kings Landing and Littlefinger to proove any allegations.

Littlefinger was the one who technically commenced the war, Ned's actions barely contributed to the war. LF made Lysa poison Jon Arryn and send the letter to Catelyn and he told Joffrey to kill Ned. Jaime's actions contributed to war far more than Ned's.

Littlefinger did some scheming and intended for war, but he can't force any of the major players to do anything or act so stupidly. Stark, Lannister and Baratheon were all fools and acted without thinking,

The war is a direct result of the twincest, Catelyn capturing Tyrion over her belief he attempted to kill Bran after Bran witnessed twincest, the murder of Jon Arryn, Littlefingers manipulating things and Cersei acting before Ned could. The war is in no way Ned's fault.

The war is a direct result of the twincest, Catelyn capturing Tyrion over her belief he attempted to kill Bran after Bran witnessed twincest, the murder of Jon Arryn, Littlefingers manipulating things and Cersei acting before Ned could. The war is in no way Ned's fault.

Ned, the hand of the King is in Kings Landing. Robert Baratheon, the King and the final say in what is right and legal, is in Kings Landing. Littlefinger, the key and only witness, is in Kings Landing. Cat made a stupid decision and Ned backed her up instead of doing what Robert told him and make her release him.

Littlefinger gets an awful lot of credit for other characters natural stupidity.

Archived