Team Joffery

Operation Lions

If your point is that Joffrey is good because it's actually Tywin and others that rule through him, there's a major flaw there. His word still has power, and he does have a mind of his own. He screwed things up by executing Ned against everyone's advice/plans. This shows that the others don't totally control him. He's also basically a second mad king with his unnecessary torturing and twisted notions of "justice" which can never be good for the kingdom.

Yeeaaah, no.

His apathy allows his 'good council' free reign? Flash forward a few years, Tywin's in charge and is used to it. Joffrey finally decides he's had enough of his Grandfather acting like he's the king BOOM, no more Tywin. Everything falls apart.

That and with his continued sadism, how long before a new Robert-type whose son got killed for a joke against Joffrey calls his banners and starts another rebellion?

Hell, Daenerys is the one person I NEVER want on the Throne (my own reasons and I won't de-rail the thread by listing them) but I'd have her over Joff. Hell, I'd bend the knee to King Hot-Pie, the first of his name, than to Joffrey.

PS And as has been said Joff is Jaime's.

edit: forgot this was the show section!

But in the show, Renly is the only one I ever see concerned with the well-being of the people of Westeros, so I think he would be the best choice for king. The other ones are all concerned about power and war, but he actually wants the people to be doing well. I would be all-for-Renly. ;)

A war with whom? Even if the Dragons were to come over Aegon the Conqueror-style it's not like one of the other candidates would fare any better. If there were a war Renly could easily have his Hand or someone else in his council run it.

The Lannisters would have stood no chance against the Tyrells and Starks combined. They would've been wiped out if they tried.

You say it's a good thing that Joffrey has no political knowledge, yet it's a disadvantage to Robb?

Plus you forgot to mention that Joffrey is a complete utter psychopath who gets enjoyment from tormenting Sansa and gets aroused by violence. He's also a useless leader in battle, which would be extemely demoralising for his men.

In terms of where we are in the show now, Danerys is the best leader, since she has the right balance of being a strong leader and understanding her people. She's a liberator and her people love her. Her only current flaw could maybe be her over reliance on her dragons?

On the other hand:

Joffrey - complete psycho and a coward

Robb - good but let's his emotions influence his judgement.

Stannis - too reliant on Melisandre and ruthless

Renly - in a medieval-parallel-fantastical world, if anyone would have found out Renlys sexual preference, it could have caused uproar, but otherwise could be a good leader

Robert - liked to make the decisions but didn't really have the knowledge and was quite lazy

Eddard - a good man, but his good will deluded him. Stannis is too ruthless but Ned wasn't ruthless enough. I reckon someone would overthrow him eventually.

Though if I had to take a pick out of everyone and not just those contending for the throne, I'd pick Tyrion or Jon.

Ok first of all Ned Stark was not a traitor. Robert made him regent when he died which gives Ned the power to rule until Joffrey becomes of age. Ned therefore knowing that Joffrey was a bastard born of incest was well within his right to declare Stannis the true king of Westeros.

Second of all Joffrey choosing to behead Ned Stark was the stupidest decision he could have made as this is what caused the North to rebel meaning deaths of thousands in war.

Thirdly everyone for the last 300 hundred years who is born a Baratheon has dark black hair. It's a bit to much of coincidence that Cersie, sleeps with her twin brother and then has a child with blonde hair that looks remarkably like her twin. Not just that but Cersei not only admits to Ned that her children are Jaimes but in the books we find out she took measures to stop Robert getting her pregnant.

If the world of Westeros was just Joffrey would have got nowhere near the Iron Throne and that's without taking his monstrous personality into account.

If your point is that Joffrey is good because it's actually Tywin and others that rule through him, there's a major flaw there. His word still has power, and he does have a mind of his own. He screwed things up by executing Ned against everyone's advice/plans. This shows that the others don't totally control him. He's also basically a second mad king with his unnecessary torturing and twisted notions of "justice" which can never be good for the kingdom.

This happened before Tywin was there to put him on a leash. Yes Joffrey still has the last word but Tywin makes little Joffrey tremble without directly threatening him. Even Tyrion had somewhat of a command to him. Simply put Joffrey is a bitch and cares more about self preservation than to put himself in harms way. He's just the sadist version of George Bush simply put.

Archived