Maybe Rhaegar was obsessed with Lyanna?

Nami

If Rhaegar had mistreated Lyanna, don't you think Ned would have remembered him badly?

Unless Lyanna blamed herself, it happens.

I like to think that Rhaegar and Lyanna tried to stop everything but LF enacted some master plan that led Brandon to freakin the fuck out.

LF really? He would have been 15 by the time the rebellion had ended

He only got power after RR because Lysa got Jon to give him a position on the King's council.

I remember thinking this when I first read the books; that Lyanna went willingly, but that finding out about her brother and father's death would break whatever romantic spell they were wrapped up in, especially on her end.

I could also see her having second thoughts before she got the news about Brandon and Rickards deaths too. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the first month was seriously EPIC; being whisked off on horseback from her unwanted, impending marriage to a magical tower by a devastatingly handsome silver haired prince professing his love and assuring her that everything will be peachy (seriously, I'd run away with him too and I'm old enough to know better!)

After about three or four weeks of non-stop, 24 hour a day "sexy time" in the tower however, reality begins to sink in. This guy is married, he has kids, he's moody. She's homesick and realizes her family's probably worried sick about her. It also wouldn't surprise me if he just happened to "forget" to fill her in on his whole prophecy/baby agenda until after he got her out to the TOJ and it would be too late to for her to change her mind or leave.

I could see her waking up one morning and thinking, "OMGS, what have I gotten myself into? I'm stuck in some decrepit old tower in a blazing hot desert in the middle of nowhere with this nutty married man and his bodyguards with nothing to do all day but listen to him play the harp and talk about how I'm going to help him fulfill his destiny. What have I done?"

:lmao: I love it.

Robert clearly believes she was kidnapped, and Ned lets him think that.

But when Ned is having a heart to heart with Arya, he compares the two girls and says that it was Lyanna's strong personality that lead to her early death.

It makes sense that he would lie to Robert if Lyanna ran off willingly. She might have regretted it, but her priority at the end was the baby.

The love story about R+L is pretty much fan fiction.

We really don't know enough to tell how it was exactly. I hope it's not a cliche tragic love story, but whatever GRRM is planning, I'm sure it will be good

I think he was more obsessed with Aegon's prophecy than anything else :)

Lyanna was probably just a means to get Visenya and because she's a Stark, her family can aid Aegon in the fight against the Others.

So much better than a lame love story :D

Why don't you like love stories? Are you like one of those kids who only prefer violent movies and only fighting animes?

Love is part of life, only natural if it's also in a fictional story.

I'm not hating R+L in a romantic perspective, I'm just considering other possibilities.

I remember thinking this when I first read the books; that Lyanna went willingly, but that finding out about her brother and father's death would break whatever romantic spell they were wrapped up in, especially on her end.

I could also see her having second thoughts before she got the news about Brandon and Rickards deaths too. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the first month was seriously EPIC; being whisked off on horseback from her unwanted, impending marriage to a magical tower by a devastatingly handsome silver haired prince professing his love and assuring her that everything will be peachy (seriously, I'd run away with him too and I'm old enough to know better!)

After about three or four weeks of non-stop, 24 hour a day "sexy time" in the tower however, reality begins to sink in. This guy is married, he has kids, he's moody. She's homesick and realizes her family's probably worried sick about her. It also wouldn't surprise me if he just happened to "forget" to fill her in on his whole prophecy/baby agenda until after he got her out to the TOJ and it would be too late to for her to change her mind or leave.

I could see her waking up one morning and thinking, "OMGS, what have I gotten myself into? I'm stuck in some decrepit old tower in a blazing hot desert in the middle of nowhere with this nutty married man and his bodyguards with nothing to do all day but listen to him play the harp and talk about how I'm going to help him fulfill his destiny. What have I done?"

This would be the perfect answer to R+L=J :D

I never liked the idea of Lyanna being kidnaped and raped, but at the same time I never liked the idea of her not thinking about her family.

I do hope George does something like this because Lyanna not caring or Lyanna being raped is just too terrible :(

Unless Lyanna blamed herself, it happens.

LF really? He would have been 15 by the time the rebellion had ended

He only got power after RR because Lysa got Jon to give him a position on the King's council.

Not to mention, by the time of RR, he was at the fingers, injured and completely powerless, because Hooster kicked him out of Riverrun. But we should know by now, everything is LF's fault :P

It was never directly said to us that Rhaegar was after Lyanna because he was "prophecy obsessed" and wanted another child with her. This is something that was assumed here in this forum, to explain how things happened.

Also, if he wanted a "Visenya", couldn't he just get any other woman close to him? Ashara Dayne? Whatever other woman in court would do too. Why Lyanna Stark?

Maybe he just really wanted her because he was in love OR it was obsession, which could also explain this out of character behavior coming from someone who was known to be so dutiful.

And, I'm sorry if this is too personal but, have you ever been in love?

Robert clearly believes she was kidnapped, and Ned lets him think that.

But when Ned is having a heart to heart with Arya, he compares the two girls and says that it was Lyanna's strong personality that lead to her early death.

It makes sense that he would lie to Robert if Lyanna ran off willingly. She might have regretted it, but her priority at the end was the baby.

My theory, which has very little evedence to back it up, is that Lyanna ran off with Rhaegar. All the girls fancy Rhaegar because he's pretty and deep and a tad emo, heck even Cersei fancies him and she's only in love with herself and maybe her twin brother.. We also know that Lyanna knew that Robert Baratheon was a bit of a playboy, with several bastards already, well one... maybe more. Maybe she doesn't want to marry the guy who's got a girl and probably a baby in every ale house in the land. But he's her brother's best friend, and a powerful lord, she might be torn between wanting to please her family and actually marrying somebody who isn't a dick. So she meets Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince Charming and Popular who's sooooo understanding. Maybe she just genuinely prefers Rhaegar to Robert.

Maybe Rhaegar is actually attracted to her and wants to help her out, maybe he's got his own loopy, prophetic reasons for wanting to seduce her, but next thing she knows she's out of her depth and can't go home because her father and brothers are going to do their collective nuts. Maybe she's too embarrassed and ashamed to go home.

So the 3 Kingsguard at ToJ were there to keep her prisoner rather than guard her? That's an interesting thought...I smell a thread!

When you read the first book and about Rhaegar, the story is that he kidnapped and raped her, so when it's mentioned that the KG were there guarding the tower she was in, you understand that they were preventing her from leaving. This is all before reading in the other books info about how Rhaegar was a nice fella.

It was never directly said to us that Rhaegar was after Lyanna because he was "prophecy obsessed" and wanted another child with her. This is something that was assumed here in this forum, to explain how things happened.

Don't know about you but I like this theory more than him running off because he was in love. It makes the story a helluva lot more interesting

Also, if he wanted a "Visenya", couldn't he just get any other woman close to him? Ashara Dayne? Whatever other woman in court would do too. Why Lyanna Stark?

I dunno, maybe it was because he saw the Starks as Aegon's greatest allies in the fight against the Others :dunno:

When I read the books, I always thought that they ran off together and then she was held against her will. From what we know of Lyanna, she doesn't seem to be the sort of person to hide in a tower when her father and brother have both been killed.

This still explains the KG being at the ToJ as they'd still be protecting a royal prince.

One of the other things I believe is that Rhaegar (or Rhaegarstiltskin as I shall now always call him) wasn't the shining model of excellence we've been led to believe. Obviously Robert hated him but that's understandable and The Ned didn't really have any strong emotions about him, but that's just The Ned. The only other sources on Rhaegar's personality are unreliable at best. Out of everyone who see's him favourably, we have Dany, and pretty much all of her information on Westeros is second hand from Viserys, Cersei, who wanted to marry him. Barristan, who swore to serve and protect the royal family and is too honourable to think badly of them and JonCon, who was most likely in love with him.

Obviously more people talk about him but those are the main ones that I can think of, but we haven't had any information on someone who truly knew him, and it's said that no one truly knew him. So to me Rhaegar being this shiny honourable prince seems doubtful.

When I read the books, I always thought that they ran off together and then she was held against her will. From what we know of Lyanna, she doesn't seem to be the sort of person to hide in a tower when her father and brother have both been killed.

This still explains the KG being at the ToJ as they'd still be protecting a royal prince.

One of the other things I believe is that Rhaegar (or Rhaegarstiltskin as I shall now always call him) wasn't the shining model of excellence we've been led to believe. Obviously Robert hated him but that's understandable and The Ned didn't really have any strong emotions about him, but that's just The Ned. The only other sources on Rhaegar's personality are unreliable at best. Out of everyone who see's him favourably, we have Dany, and pretty much all of her information on Westeros is second hand from Viserys, Cersei, who wanted to marry him. Barristan, who swore to serve and protect the royal family and is too honourable to think badly of them and JonCon, who was most likely in love with him.

Obviously more people talk about him but those are the main ones that I can think of, but we haven't had any information on someone who truly knew him, and it's said that no one truly knew him. So to me Rhaegar being this shiny honourable prince seems doubtful.

That doesn't make sense because Barristan has no reason to praise Rhaegar in front of Dany, and still speak ill of her father, the king he actually swore his vow to.

From all of them, Ned and Selmy's views of Rhaegar are the most relevant and true.

Archived