What will Dany do when she finds out about Aegon?

Northernmonkey

It looks like Dany will find out about her nephew when she meets Tyrion (unless he withholds the information for his own ends) but what will she do when she finds out?

I think this will be the thing that finally persuades her to head to Westeros, either to marry him, to support his claim or to push her own rival claim.

Personally I think that she'll support Aegon's claim to the throne and join his side, possibly as his wife. I just don't see how Dany could dispute that he's the rightful king, unless she thought he was a fake (and how could she know that)?

So why is it that everyone thinks there'll be another dance of the dragons? I just don't see why Dany wouldn't support her nephew?

I don't think she'll support him unless she can be persuaded that he's the real deal. And remember, she puts a lot of stock into prophecies and warning, particularly those of Quaithe. Dany, at least at first, might not be too willing to support Aegon, thinking he is the forewarned mummer's dragon. I think she will eventually come to believe he's Aegon, but I don't think she'll be ready to believe right away.

If I am not mistaken the third book in the original trilogy was to be called a dance of dragons - maybe indicating that Dany and Aegon will be foes in this last stage of the story?

Eta. I agree that this will (hopefully) be the push that Dany needs to end her time in Essos

Dany will know in her "gut" that he is the "mummer's dragon" or "paper dragon" but no one who will already support him in Westeros will believe her. None of them. In fact, by the time she arrives, I fully expect him to be sitting the Iron Throne with one or possibly two queens (Sansa and Arianne) or (just Arianne). Dany will make war against him and win. She will not be popular but she will have dragons or atlease Drogon and enough forces with her. Also, she may have supporters in Westeros that may side with her.

She won't take kindly to him. He is a direct threat to her and has a better claim. Aegon will also gather a bunch of supporters that Dany needs. I also think Aegon will be viewed as a hero while Dany a "savage" which will really piss her off.

So why is it that everyone thinks there'll be another dance of the dragons? I just don't see why Dany wouldn't support her nephew?

Because GRRM has said that there will be another 2nd Dance of the Dragons war in an older interview, and Dany vs. Aegon is by far the most likely scenario for such a war. With that said, I too think Dany's initial reaction will be to ally with Aegon. She'll have doubts about him obviously, but i think her desire for family will make her want to investigate the situation, meet with him, etc.. I highly doubt she would just attack him out of hand because of the mummer's dragon vision or something like that.

War will ultimately break out between them because of the Dornish imo. Aegon is being set up to ally with Dorne (maybe even marry Arianne) and it seems likely that Dany will be blamed for Quentyn's death. In the grand scheme of things, I think the entire point of introducting and then killing off Quentyn's character was to sow the seeds of war between Dany and an Aegon who is heavily entrenched in a Dornish alliance by the time she meets him. Quentyn's death sets off the Dance of the Dragons war in the same way that Ned's death set off the WOT5K.

Did he really say that? Because there's at most 3 Targaryens left in the world, so why would he give us a huge spoiler?

Yep, he said it:

Hi, short question. Will we find out more about the Dance of the Dragons in future books?

The first dance or the second?

The second will be the subject of a book. The first will be mentioned from time to time, I'm sure.

Link

This interiew was from the pre-AFFC days. GRRM was a bit more open with discussing the plot back then. Nowadays, since the series really took off, he's more cagey. Usually just tells people to 'keep reading.'

Some other reveals from his older interviews: Jon Snow will one day find out about his parents (which means he can't really be dead, since he has not found out yet), Howland Reed will appear eventually and the original plan was to have ADWD cover Dany's landing in Westeros and the complications it brings (so she will for sure be coming to Westeros, despite some people doubting it will ever happen).

Those are just off the top of my head. There are probably several other plot spoilers GRRM gave away in his older interviews.

She's going to need him, and if she's not intelligent enough to see it her advisors certainly will.

A) Aegon gives them Dorne and the Stormlands

B ) Dany's barren, Aegon's the only way the Targ line can continue

C) she can marry him off to either Sansa, Margaery or Arianne thus strengthening their ties to Westeros

As for Dance 2.0 am I the only one hoping Dany mistakes Jon for the mummer's dragon and not Aegon; it's certainly more believable.

I'm also hoping Aegon kills Dany rather than the other way round because she wasn't wary of the mummer's dragon

Rejoice, she finally found a relative she can bang

That is so messed up :P

I doubt that Dany will not join Aegon. I'm sure she will try and maybe marry him? But then again shes barren so maybe she can join Aegon's cause as a battle commander of some sort with her dragons or go to the Wall and help with the White Walker situation?

There is something we haven't seen though.

Danaerys is the mother of Dragons.

Yet there are three dragons, and (assuming) there are three Targaryen blooded children (Jon?,Aegon,Danaerys), who knows how the dragons will act?

What if they were supposed (e.g) to go one for each and every one of them?

I believe that Danaerys would go to see for herself Aegon. If she found out that he is truly Rhaegar's son (how?) then I believe that she will make an allegiance with him. Until then there might be war..

Yet in the end I believe that she will decline the Iron throne. She likes best the slave-freeing spree she has started

She's going to need him, and if she's not intelligent enough to see it her advisors certainly will.

A) Aegon gives them Dorne and the Stormlands

B ) Dany's barren, Aegon's the only way the Targ line can continue

C) she can marry him off to either Sansa, Margaery or Arianne thus strengthening their ties to Westeros

As for Dance 2.0 am I the only one hoping Dany mistakes Jon for the mummer's dragon and not Aegon; it's certainly more believable.

I'm also hoping Aegon kills Dany rather than the other way round because she wasn't wary of the mummer's dragon

That is so messed up :P

Little problem with that: Aegon is the boss. He is Rhaegar's son, he is the heir. He is in charge. Dany is... second. At best. And that's a bitter pill for her to swallow. I doubt she'll manage

Dany will be very conflicted when learning about Aegon. She will wonder if hes really who he says he is and ponder the idea of kinship further. But Quaithe's words and the Undying's visions will also come up in her mind, placing doubt on Aegon's identity for her. That, and she will see him as a threat to her claim. She may ponder the possibility of marriage, but what if she learns hes already married? (btw, im pretty sure hes gonna marry Arianne) She may ponder him taking a second wife, but also may be like "nah brah...i dont think im that cool with that." Especially with what shes been through. All that work, sweat, blood, and tears, just to be second fiddle? Nah.

Dany is gonna face another issue that may be related to the Aegon thing: The loss of two of her dragons. Viserion and Rhaegal are unlikely to follow her again after she returns from the Dothraki Sea. What will happen to them, i dont know, but im almost positive that only Drogon will stay with her. Victarion has that horn and it may bind at least one of the dragons. (im think Rhaegal) In Barristan's TWoW sample, its implied that Viserion isnt in Meereen anymore. Dany is going to be very hurt by this. It may even push her over the edge to full rage Conqueror mode. Given her ties to her dragons, two of them abandoning her will twinge. Badly.

Theres way too much foreshadowing that a second Dance will occur.

Archived