If Rhaegar won and Lyanna survived, would Dorne be threatened, and would they justified in feeling that way?

The Frosted King

How? They're both already married. It's very hard to get a marriage annulled in Westeros and yeah even if he somehow got that recognized Dorne would be justifiably very pissed. I think Tywin or Varys or someone would say like "Have your fun with her or whatever but don't try to marry her." Hopefully he would listen.

...How long till he decides to put me aside for some new Lyanna?"-- Cersei aGoT page 79 paperback

"The maid was Loras tyrell`s sister Margaery, he'd confessed, but there were those that said she looked like Lyanna"--aGoT page 269 paperback

"A year ago I schemed to make the girl (Margaery Tyrell) Robert's queen."--Renly aCoK page 478 paperback

The source (in law or religion) of Cersei's concern and Renly's scheme is not given. It clearly is not the Targaryen polygamy from the time of dragons.

Lyanna plays in to both the concern and the scheme.

Hypothesis-- Rhaegar put Elia aside for Lyanna.

SoD, you guys always seem to forget Jon Snow if born a prince would be a great threat then Daemon, Maegor or the Aegon the second.

Yes it would be a threat. Any younger sibling would be a threat.

a younger legitimate sibling from anpther house would be a greater threat.

..How long till he decides to put me aside for some new Lyanna?"-- Cersei aGoT page 79 paperback

"The maid was Loras tyrell`s sister Margaery, he'd confessed, but there were those that said she looked like Lyanna"--aGoT page 269 paperback

"A year ago I schemed to make the girl (Margaery Tyrell) Robert's queen."--Renly aCoK page 478 paperback

The source (in law or religion) of Cersei's concern and Renly's scheme is not given. It clearly is not the Targaryen polygamy from the time of dragons.

Lyanna plays in to both the concern and the scheme.

Either Cersei and Renly came up with the same idea involving the same person with no historical basis or they were both citing the same event.

Not saying it was a good idea... I just can't explain away the text because it was a bad idea...Like kidnapping Lyanna

A greater threat than all of them combined actually.

Yes, because he would have an automatic power base, and that from a family more powerful than the family of Aegon's mother.

And of course considering his uncle would be married to the daughter of the Lord of Riverrun and his other uncle was very close to the Lord Paramount of the Eyrie, if Jon, or someone using Jon as a figurehead, wanted to win the Iron Throne, this could easily be achieved.

Who's gonna fight for them? The Tyrells can be bought with a wedding alliance, so who's left? Tywin? Robert? Good luck with that.

But, no, I'm sure Elia LUUUUUUUUVED the idea of Rhaegar getting a younger, prettier wife from a more powerful family. Of course she was 100% into it.

Even if Elia completely believed in the prophecy, it doesn't mean that she wouldn't feel that her children would be under threat. Lets face it, any children Lyanna have are a threat to Elia's. The Dornish are not overly popular in Westeros anyway, so they'd have less support than Lyanna's children should some civil war occur. And Lyanna's family has more connections than the Martells do. And even if Lyanna's children prove loyal, who is to say that their children will be, or their grandchildren? Elia should have definitely felt threatened. The Blackfyre Rebellions occurred with legitimised bastards, with no powerful Houses guaranteeing them support due to their birth. But Lyanna's children would bare the Targaryen name from birth and would have powerful families to support them if a civil war ensued.

This threat to her children and her legitimacy as Queen would have exacerbated by the crowning of Lyanna as Queen of Love and Beauty. It would seem to Elia, after Rhaegar marries Lyanna, that Rhaegar had publicly (remember, the majority of the most powerful Lords and Ladies were present at Harrenhal) declared that Lyanna was his true queen.

As to Elia's personal feelings, we have no way of knowing. She could have been enraged, depressed, uncaring, happy, revolted etc. Regardless of Elia's personal feelings about both the prophecy and Lyanna, she should have felt the threat to her lineage.

With the current alliances, Lord Stark (whether that's Rickard or Brandon) is the kingmaker. They'd better ask him!

Furthermore, Rhaegar is in love with Lyanna. And yes, an idiot to boot. If he wasn't, he'd never started that shit in the first place. It's literally number one on the "Don't ever!" list for nobles. Hell, Aerys murdering Brandon, his companions and their fathers was way, way more sane!

True on the idiot part, but it is hard to crown a king on the other side of the continent.

I think a mass effort to limit the STAB's power has to be made, like forging there most needed bannermen to loyalist, such weddings and promises if their lords rebel.

Archived