If Rhaegar won and Lyanna survived, would Dorne be threatened, and would they justified in feeling that way?

The Frosted King

I don't think they were married at all.

I do think that they married. I think Rhaegar did love Lyanna that's why he took her, and I don't think Rheagar is the type to have a child with the woman he loved and not marry her. But I also believe that it doesn't matter if Rhaegar and Lyanna was married

Of course they would. The Martells didnt fully support Aerys because of what happened to Elia, and this is before they knew of Jons existence.

It would be worse if Rhaegar does marry Lyanna as Jon would be in the line of succession, and everyone knows that wars started because of this particular issue.

Dorne would be clever enough to see the threat.

Of course they would. The Martells didnt fully support Aerys because of what happened to Elia, and this is before they knew of Jons existence.

It would be worse if Rhaegar does marry Lyanna as Jon would be in the line of succession, and everyone knows that wars started because of this particular issue.

Dorne would be clever enough to see the threat.

And having seen the threat... they would wait. And think slow thoughts. And watch kids swim.

Terrifying!!! Don't mess with Dorne

:)

Even if they had been married, Aegon was still the elder, how would there be succession issues? If Aegon had died then Jon would have been next in line, but only if Aegon had died, I doubt Rhaegar would have tried to push Jon knowing all of the troubles that have come from that route in Targ history.

It would not work.

There would be no good outcome if Rhaegar actually married Lyanna and planned to take her to KL, especially because I think she would never live happily with him knowing about what happened to her family.

I agree, 100%

And having seen the threat... they would wait. And think slow thoughts. And watch kids swim.

Terrifying!!! Don't mess with Dorne

:)

Well they are going to have to come up with something pretty good if they want to secure the throne for Aegon concerning the fact that they will have too many enemies, and it wont matter how long it takes.

Even if they had been married, Aegon was still the elder, how would there be succession issues? If Aegon had died then Jon would have been next in line, but only if Aegon had died, I doubt Rhaegar would have tried to push Jon knowing all of the troubles that have come from that route in Targ history.

I agree with this though we don't know much about Rhaegar and what we do know is conflicted info I doubt he would throw aside his eldest son for his youngest son.

I agree with this though we don't know much about Rhaegar and what we do know is conflicted info I doubt he would throw aside his eldest son for his youngest son.

Exactly, Selmy recalls that he was a bookish kid growing up so he has to know how those things have turned out throughout Targaryen family history, and even though his and Lyanna's actions led to a war it wasn't really a foreseeable war, had Brandon not rode up to the castle demanding the crown prince's head we might have missed this whole story.

Yes, and with good cause. The son of a love marriage opposed to the son of a respect marriage at best? Cousin to the Lord of the North and the Lord of the Vale, nephew to the Lord of the Riverlands? Maybe even a good connection to the Stormlands? Against Dorne and no one else? That's definitely a serious threat.

And who is to say that the rebels would be fine going home without forcing some concessions out of Rhaegar - for example declaring his children by Lyanna Stark heirs above Aegon and Rhaenys?

If Rhaegar would suppress the rebellion by force, they're going to be extremely pissed and flock to anybody promising retribution - like Prince Jon Targaryen twenty years down the line.

Having won, Rhaegar would still have a realm with four regions that dislike him(North, Riverlands, Vale and Stormlands) plus a Iron Islands, West and Reach that aren't really that loyal. All the political credit that Rhaegar had was burned away. Any misstep could be fatal.

Some mention concessions to placate the rebellion, but were would these concessions come rom? From the loyalists? And the greater the Lord, the higher the concession. Would Rhaegar give Dragonstone to the Baratheons? Summerhall to the Arryns? The throne to his half-Stark child? Where are these vast unclaimed lands?

Dorne would and should be worried and the best outcome would be for Oberyn to quietly dispose of Rhaegar and Aerys, and Elia as Queen-Regent, bring Arryns, Lannisters and Tully in to the small council.

If Rheagar survived and Lyanna lived, the sack of Kings Landing would not have happened. Ned would be dead by execution or sent to the wall with Benjen (he may have already went to the wall after Harrenal Tourney) and Lyanna would have inherited the North (I think this was Rheagar and his mad Daddy's intention) so it would have passed to their little "dragon hatchling". I honestly do not think Rheagaaaaaaah gave a shit about Lyanna's family and seemed remorsless for the terribly tragedies that befell them after they ran off together.

As for Dorne, they still had Aegon, a son of a princess of Dorne as the future King so they would have went along but probably never trusted Lyanna or her child/Jon.

Hmmm this is very interesting it may have been Rhaegar's plan

• 8 months later...

If rebellion had a different ending with Robert's defeat and Prince Rhargar Targaryen was later crowned king, i think he would have married Lady Lyanna Stark and make her co-consort along with Princess Elia Martell.. i don't think Prince entering a polygamous marriage with both ladies will make either of her wives' family happy (seeing that the most previous Targaryen king who entered a polygamous marriage never married daughters of two great houses).. Such a marriage will be treated as a slight by the Martells and the Starks will also view such union to be dishonorable, but for the stability of the realm, i think both great houses will just consent to it.. In terms of the internal affairs of such matrimonity, i think Princess Elia will gave way if Prince Rhaegar and Lady Lyanna are truly inlove, i even think Elia will befriend Lyanna, imho..

As for the succession, i don't think there will be a problem.. Prince Aegon would still be Prince of Dragonstone and heir to the throne, then Prince Jon and then Princess Rhaenys.. Aegon will still be Rhaegar's heir apparent and Jon will be Aegon's heir presumptive until Aegon himself fathers a child.. I don't think the Martells will do anything drastic as long as their blood is still for all intents and purposes the next in time to the throne.. I also don't think the Starks would do anything to place their blood on the throne, they are the type of people who honors succession and they don't have any ambitions to the throne, so i don't think a Dance of Dragons Part 2 will happen in a Aegon-Jon scenario..

BUT

If say by some twist of fate, Prince Aegon before of after Rhaegar, then a Dance of Dragons will be very likely to happen.. If such scenario would happen, i am very sure that the Martells would proclaim Princess Rhaenys as Queen of the Seven Kingdoms being her the eldest daughter of the previous king from his first and "true" wife and claim Prince Jon a product of a polygamous marriage making him inferior to Princess Rhaenys.. With such actions, i think the Starks will more than likely to support Prince Jon as the rightful king being the second legitimate son of the previous king as a polygamous marriage of a Targaryen is considered for all intents and purposes lawful and legitimate being, even if Jon is not their kin, seeing how the Starks honors legitimate succession.. With 2 claimants, a civil war is inivitable.. Dorne will raise their banners for Rhaenys and the North will raise theirs for Jon.. The Riverlands will more or less support Jon with the strong Stark-Tully connection and most probably the Reach as well knowing the Tyrell-Martell enmity.. The Vale will also probably support Jon seeing the Stark-Tully-Arryn connections.. The tricky part would be, whom would the Stormlands support? I know the Robert and Ned are the best of friends, but Robert's hatred for Rhaegar for stealing Lyanna might and just might make him support Rhaenys instead.. Also i don't know which side the Westerlands would support.. Maybe, to whom whoever Cersei marries.. If Cersei would still have ended with Robert and became Lady of Storm's End, then the Lannister will more or less support Rhaenys thanks to thier connection with the vindictive Robert plus if Cersei says married Edmure instead, then the Lannisters would certainly support a Stark-Tully-Arryn alliance..

But in all honesty, a civil war in where The North+The Riverlands+The Vale+The Reach vs. Dorne+The Stormlands+The Westerlands in support of two opposing Targaryens would be awesome.. :)

Depending on whether or not Rhaegar took power, and he loved Lyanna. The leaders aside from Robert may be forgiven. Robert would likely have been forgiven if he hadn't been declared King. But if Rhaegar only cared for the prophecy then... Well every rebel would be dead.

f rebellion had a different ending with Robert's defeat and Prince Rhargar Targaryen was later crowned king, i think he would have married Lady Lyanna Stark and make her co-consort along with Princess Elia Martell.. i don't think Prince entering a polygamous marriage with both ladies will make either of her wives' family happy (seeing that the most previous Targaryen king who entered a polygamous marriage never married daughters of two great houses).. Such a marriage will be treated as a slight by the Martells and the Starks will also view such union to be dishonorable, but for the stability of the realm, i think both great houses will just consent to it..

Agreed. Dorne might still have been offended on Elia's behalf, (and never exactly warm to Lyanna,) but they'd settle for just making sure her children came first in the line of succession and being less than polite to Rhaegar-it wouldn't have come to open war. As for Elia, while she might have been sad for a while, I don't see her as going out of her way to 'punish' Rheagar or Lyanna for any of it, but would have tried to live with the arrangement, as one large family. Like you said, Elia and Lyanna might have been friends if things had gone differently.

A peace is hammered out in the aftermath of the defeat(not death) of Robert.

All rebels go home and are oked to go with a three years tax lien.

Rhaegar marries Lyanna.

Rhaegar DID marry Lyanna, and Dorne (and Elia) seemed fine with it from what we can gather. She understood the prophecy and what all was going on.

Since the prophecy seems to involve Dragons and White Walkers rather than politics, I don't see why Dorne would care.

Rhaegar DID marry Lyanna, and Dorne (and Elia) seemed fine with it from what we can gather. She understood the prophecy and what all was going on.

Since the prophecy seems to involve Dragons and White Walkers rather than politics, I don't see why Dorne would care.

I don't mean to be mean and rude but aren't you making things up that aren't in the book. We don't know if Rhaegar married Lyanna until GRRM writes it. We also do know that Dorne was not fine with what happened with Rhaegar and Lyanna. We heard it from the mouth of the author of the books.

We don't know if Elia believed in the prophecy either or knew everything that was happening. What makes you think that Dorne the furtherest kingdoms from what is happening with the White Walkers would believe Mad Rhaegar and his ramblings when Northern Ned Stark himself probably wouldn't have believed it without definite proof.

I don't know if you guys know this, but - Lyanna died in Dorne.

Amazing they let such an enemy, such a reminder of their shame, hide in their country.

You do realize that Rhaegar, Lyanna and the Kingsguard were hiding out in Dorne and the TOJ in the middle of nowhere. Not really near any Dornish strongholds.

Dorne was preoccupied with other things at the time. They weren't really looking for Rhaegar and Lyanna in their own Kingdom which is still pretty big to be desert.

Archived