What If: Lyanna's Fate as Rhaegar's Queen/Mistress?

Mariagoner

All this said, one of the reasons Ned Stark remembers Lyanna objecting to marrying Robert was the different women he slept with since she heard he already had a child in the Eyrie. She didn't like the idea he might be unfaithful to her. IDK, I feel like Lyanna wasn't the type to share and I can't see her being okay with Rhaegar still being married to Elia and sharing intimacies with her. Furthermore, I don't think she would accept her child Jon ending up a second class citizen. Lyanna would never have been a kept woman. Bottom line: Whether Lyanna went with Rhaegar or not willingly and was truely in love with him, I don't see her staying with him even if he survived Robert's mighty warhammer.

That was probably one of the allowances. Rhaegar was never to sleep with Elia ever again. I mean think about it Rhaegar didn't love Elia. She had already given him all the children that she could give. The only sex that they could now have is for fun and intimacy with moontea to prevent pregnancy, but Rhaegar would have Lyanna the woman he loved for that so he would never need to sleep with Elia again. I think this would be the most likely scenario.

I don't know if Lyanna would be hunted down -- but certainly, there would probably be quite a few people wanting her pretty head on a pike after they realized she willingly ran away with Rhaegar. People in the north that loved her father and brother, for one. And perhaps the other Targaryens for playing a role in weakening the dynasty substantially.

Actuallly, I was more thinking along the lines of Lyanna hunting down the Targaryens and accomplishes that had anything to do with her father and brother's death, and holding those responsible who she thought could have stopped it and didn't. Which is why the only way I think she could end up with Rhaegar is in a scenario where both her father and brother arrived. Though you make an excellent point, about people wanting to kill her for the war itself and the power that might be redistributed to her and her future children.

That was probably one of the allowances. Rhaegar was never to sleep with Elia ever again. I mean think about it Rhaegar didn't love Elia. She had already given him all the children that she could give. The only sex that they could now have is for fun and intimacy with moontea to prevent pregnancy, but Rhaegar would have Lyanna the woman he loved for that so he would never need to sleep with Elia again. I think this would be the most likely scenario.

Hmmm...this I could see working. Rhaegar would be faithful to Lyanna, and she didn't seem to be the type who would want to be queen. So it is not like Lyanna would be jealous of Elia on that point. As long as Elia is okay with it, and honestly, I feel like I have no picture/real idea what she was like, and yet Oberyn seemed to love his sister equally to Brandon's love for Lyanna. I agree with you that this is the most likely scenario I have heard.

Maybe Elia could find a man who loved and appreciated her and have her own affair discreetly. Which would be interesting. Rhaegar and Lyanna throw away everything for love and they now finally have each other but aren't the same people anymore and are possibly miserable.

While Elia can freely find herself a paramour and not have to worry about Rhaegar's antics. Haha. She is happier than she ever was before. This is just some head-canon coming into play.

Maybe Elia could find a man who loved and appreciated her and have her own affair discreetly. Which would be interesting. Rhaegar and Lyanna throw away everything for love and they now finally have each other but aren't the same people anymore and are possibly miserable.

While Elia can freely find herself a paramour and not have to worry about Rhaegar's antics. Haha. She is happier than she ever was before. This is just some head-canon coming into play.

I love your headcanon of Elia, I think I will adopt it as my own :bowdown: . Oberyn would probably smugly tell people, "That's my sister." Of course, now thinking about Oberyn, probably the moment Aegon became of age, poison would find it's way into Rhaegar's cup.

I love your headcanon of Elia, I think I will adopt it as my own :bowdown: . Oberyn would probably smugly tell people, "That's my sister." Of course, now thinking about Oberyn, probably the moment Aegon became of age, poison would find it's way into Rhaegar's cup.

Hah! Yes, Oberyn isn't exactly the world's most mild-tempered, careful man and I wouldn't doubt him taking revenge on Rhaeger soon or later, in some way or another!

Even though it's plain sexist IMO, it's most likely true <_<

That being said if Elia cared little for Rhaegar, she's going to care even less after his epic stupidity. I don't think she'd care who he sleeps with as long as people recognise who the alpha queen is aka her.

Throughout history queens turned a blind eye to their husband's infidelities because they made sure people (including the mistresses) knew who had the power and authority. I don't see why Elia would be any different, especially when her rival is a fickle northerner, who doesn't know the first thing about queenship, has no allies, probably the root of all court scandals and is completely dependent on Rhaegar.

• 3 months later...

I am so happy to see people agree with me that lyanna's life would have been shit if She and Rhaegar had gotten what their supporters call a "happy ending where mean old Bob dies at the Trident and Lyanna survives giving birth to Jon". I mean, this is why my personal is belief that she didn't think any farther than "woo hop, no Robert" when she ran off, and Rhaegar "forgot" to mention a lot of the possible consequences of thier actions.

• 4 months later...

I agree with a lot of the opinions that their survival would cause a lot of political tensions, that Lyanna would not be happy as Queen, nor be ideal for the role, and that their initial relationship, whether it was based on "true love" or not, does not guarantee a happy ending. I think there are a few different factors that would affect this, too. The first is the Rhaegar-Elia-Lyanna relationship/ power structure- the way I see it , the options are as follows:

1) Rhaegar weds Lyanna, and makes her his queen, replacing Elia, or at the very least, much reducing her power- I don't think this is either wise or likely. Unwise because it would anger the Dornish, and likely Elia and Rhaegar's children when they grow old enough to understand, and unwise because as previously mentioned, Lyanna would likely hate the courtly life and behaviour that she would be expected to emulate. Not even about her liking to ride and be wild, though that would likely be curtailed with Kingsguard members following her everywhere, but she doesn't come across as the kind of woman to survive very well amongst skilled politicians. It would likely add yet more fuel to the fire of Aerys's paranoia re. Rhaegar, assuming that Rhaegar hasn't already dethroned him (Rhaegar puts aside his bride from the house that supported Aerys, albeit begrudgingly, to wed a girl from a house that rebelled against him?). Not to mention, doing so would surely call into question the future of his children with Elia. We know from the HOTU scene that Rhaegar believed Aegon to be TPtwP, the main player in whatever was coming, and he is not going to want his legitimacy called into question, particularly since there is no guarantee that Lyanna will be able to give him any more children (if childbirth killed Lyanna, it is not unreasonable to suggest that, even had she survived, much like Elia it might have been impossible, or at the very least unwise to bear more). It would likely please the Northerners to have a Northern queen on the throne, and a Northern heir, and this might go some way towards healing the wounds with them at the cost of Dorne.

2) Rhaegar marries Lyanna and she and Elia both eventually become his queens, assuming equal public and private status- other people have already discussed the pros and cons of this arrangement. Potentially angering all families involved with the conflict, and following Rhaegar's death, this MAY complicate the succession if the siblings/ Elia and Lyanna and their respective families do not get on. The points above about Lyanna not having an ideal temprament for a southern queen still hold true, too. This could either be seen as an agreement that will anger everyone and cause confusion in the long run, but also an attempt to avoid any drastic insults to any houses in the short term.

3) Rhaegar stays with Lyanna and recognises their children, but Elia remains his only, or primary, queen- It's never really been addressed by the books whether becoming queen is separated in any way from marriage to the king. For example, Henry VIII of England famously married 6 times- but only his first 2 wives were officially crowned as queens. If there is a similar ceremony in Westeros, perhaps Rhaegar could take Lyanna as another wife, making their children legitimate, but only Elia would sit at his side as Queen in matters of state or official events. If not, perhaps Lyanna could be kept as a kind of official mistress, her children with Rhaegar recognised- possibly also legitimised- but again, Elia would remain Queen. In some ways it might be the best way forward for all parties- the position of Elia and her children is cemented and thus the Dornish are mollified, Jon is recognised by his father and Lyanna and Rhaegar are able to continue their romantic/ sexual relationship in public. Lyanna will have a recognised position at court, but will likely have greater freedom as her position will involve very little official political power in and of itself. Of course, it's not an ideal solution- without something to mollify the North, they are hardly likely to be pleased with Lyanna being in "second place", or as they might see her, a glorified whore. And there is still some question arising re. the succession, if Aegon dies before having children of his own- would Jon, as the oldest legitimised male get it, due to the precedent set by the original Dance of Dragons, or would Rhaenys claim the crown as the surviving child of Rhaegar and his official queen?

4) Rhaegar and Lyanna do not stay together, for whatever reason - I'm not sure that this is at all likely, unless Rhaegar is driven largely by prophecy rather than his feelings for Lyanna, but it is possible that Lyanna doesn't want to become part of the same family as the man who killed her father and brother? Or possibly, going back to the prophecy, Rhaegar feels that he made the wrong choice in Lyanna (more on that below). In which case, you would hope that Rhaegar would recognise Jon officially, and would take it upon himself (with Lyanna's input and consent) to organise a suitable marriage for her, or for some land or income of her own to sustain her. Again, it would likely be taken as quite an insult by the Northerners, but it might also be seen by the rest of the kingdom as a "return to the status quo", and perhaps even seen as Rhaegar correcting the mistakes he had made in taking Lyanna, by "doing right" by her and their son, according to Westerosi values, anyway.

The second factor, I think, would be Rhaegar's attitude towards Jon (Or whatever his name would be, since it was Ned that gave him that name). I mean, if Rhaegar took Lyanna mostly out of love, then maybe he'd be thrilled with having a second son, a spare to Aegon's heir, if you will. If he was motivated mostly, or even significantly by prophecy, however.... he's read the prophecy. He's got his Aegon and his Rhaenys, and he's expecting a Visenya from this wild Northern warrior girl, and instead she gives him another boy, which throws off the trinity as he envisioned it. Now, he's got it wrong before, maybe Jon being male will force him to reevaluate the prophecy and come to the conclusion that it does not refer to a strict "rerun" of Aegon and his two sister-wives. But on the other hand, maybe he sees Jon as a mistake? Maybe he keeps trying to breed the promised daughter with Lyanna, and unthinkingly treats Jon as "lesser" than his siblings, or maybe he treats all of his children the same and just waits to see how it ends up? Maybe he thinks that the affair with Lyanna was a mistake, that there is some other woman he needs to give birth to his daughter- particularly if Lyanna was unable to give birth again, or gave birth to another boy? Does he then put Lyanna aside, or does he seek out a third wife? Does he go back to Elia and damn the consequences if she dies in childbirth?

The above is a very hard one to call, because as I said, it sort of depends how much of Rhaegar's obsession with/ feelings for Lyanna were based on the prophecy, and how he would react if it all turned out wrong again.

It's an interesting question to ponder, though- hence the above paragraphs of pure speculation.

Archived