Lightbringer: what kind of sword?

Nephenee

It's come to my attention that people generally take for granted the fact that Lightbringer is the kind of sword forged out of some kind of metal that is used to kill people. But if you think about it, GRRM has been foreshadowing against this idea since the very beginning of the entire series. What other things are considered swords in the series?

"Your Grace," Lord Walder called out to Robb, "the septon has prayed his prayers, some words have been said, and Lord Edmure's wrapped my sweetling in a fish cloak, but they are not yet man and wife. A sword needs a sheath, heh, and a wedding needs a bedding. What does my sire say? Is it meet that we should bed them?"

A sword swallower through and through!

In the ASOIAF series, swords don't have to be weapons that are used to kill people, and they often refer to something else. These weapons, however, also have phallic origins.

Freud would have us believe the sword in our dreams is a phallic symbol. If we indulge this, we can see some validity. Visually, philosophically and energetically the sword shares many similarities to the male organ as well as masculinity and all its manifestations.

Freud isn't the only one who recognized male gender issues in sword symbolism.

Arthurian studies draw gender correlations between Excalibur representing male (phallic) principles and its insertion into the stone - the stone being symbolic of the female (vaginal) principle.

It is possible that the concept of a sword as a metal weapon used to kill people could be from phallic origins. And since Azor Ahai was from the thousands of years into the past, he represents a time in which swords originated. Back then, they likely did not use the swords we know today as weapons, but rather the natural kind of sword: for fighting purposes and all.

I would like to bring another point to your attention. GRRM is noted for creating a world with very real sex. Various reviews often point out the fact that GRRM is both unpredictable and very sexual as an author. I think this may point out the fact that Lightbringer may not be the kind of sword we are familiar with.

Oh.. I've been aroud the internet for so long that I cannot peel a bannana without having an obscene image in my head. I thought it would stop there. Well... clearly I never tried to inform myself about swords and sheaths.

Oh.. I've been aroud the internet for so long that I cannot peel a bannana without having an obscene image in my head. I thought it would stop there. Well... clearly I never tried to inform myself about swords and sheaths.

Blame GRRM for foreshadowing it.

So, Trormund's member, or Fat pink mast?

I actually saw a really good theory awhile back that the fat pink mast was Lightbringer and Gilly was Nissa Nissa, making Sam AAR. The OP provides additional details that that theory lacked, and combining the two I think it is obvious that this is the direction GRRM is going with the story.

I actually saw a really good theory awhile back that the fat pink mast was Lightbringer and Gilly was Nissa Nissa, making Sam AAR. The OP provides additional details that that theory lacked, and combining the two I think it is obvious that this is the direction GRRM is going with the story.

Well, according to prophecy, "that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again"

Wouldn't that make Gilly AAReborn?

So Azor Ahai tempered his manhood by killing his wife with it then started doing pelvic thrusts in the general direction of the Land of Always Winter until the Others were so disturbed they disappeared for several thousand years?

I like it.

Didn't he tempered it with a lion before that? AA was a zoophilic!

Of course, that explains the end of the Long Night and the return of the Others: AA used his 'sword', mixing the races and diluting the White Walker's magic. Millenniums went through and the human genes in the WW finally diluted enough for their magic to resurface.

And this is, of course, foreshadowed in Dr. Strangelove, when the characters speak of contaminating body fluids!

1. In latin vagina (pronounced wagina) means sheath

2. The dragons are lightbringer. Dany uses the life of her husband Drogo - to make them hatch. Just like AA and his wife. Dragons are fire made flesh. Lightbringer is a "sword of fire." There is no way that Lightbringer is an actual sword. That would make zero sense.

Didn't he tempered it with a lion before that? AA was a zoophilic!

Of course, that explains the end of the Long Night and the return of the Others: AA used his 'sword', mixing the races and diluting the White Walker's magic. Millenniums went through and the human genes in the WW finally diluted enough for their magic to resurface.

And this is, of course, foreshadowed in Dr. Strangelove, when the characters speak of contaminating body fluids!

General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.

General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.

Archived