[SPOILERS] Season 4 Speculation: Brienne's Quest Starts Early

Nilan8888

It's hard to guess what they'll do with Brienne's arc, because it's already different than it was in the books i.e. she's in KL while Sansa is also there.

As I said other times, I believe it's silly to send her after Arya because even if they might think she's still alive, where would you even start looking for her? The best thing to do would be to stick to the books and have Jaime send her after Sansa sometime after the PW. Chances are Brienne and Pod will be captured by BwB towards the end of the season and meet LS then, as a cliffhanger left to unfold in season 5. Or anyway, this is the best outcome I can think of. B&W's narrative decisions aren't always that great (see Theon's storyline), so who knows what they'll do.

One of the resons I think this is a strong possibility is that unless GRRM has something specific in mind for TWOW that can't work unless Brienne and Sansa have never met, it makes it more interesting for them TO meet. And as much as Jamie sending Brienne on a quest shows his changing character, we have already seen it changing, and it doesn't change things much if he just helps her with some money, resources, Valaryan steel sword & whatever versus sending her on the quest itself. I just find it fits a lot better if Sansa sends Brienne after Arya, since she is the de facto head of house Stark right now. Although Brienne and Jamie are pretty respectful of each other, it's just feels less awkward if it's Sansa, and after the RW, it has a lot more emotional resonance: Brienne feels indebted to House Stark, and Sansa can 'speak' for House Stark on an emotional level. Jamie cannot.

Point of the matter is, is that Pod and Brienne are on the iceland sets. Whether or not that's meant for countryside around the wall, it means Brienne leaves King's Landing this season, as does Pod. I find it unlikely they came out in full costume just to hang around the set, and the terrain isn't very much like what's around King's Landing, so it stands to reason that they get a fair bit of distance away. So it would seem they're at least moving some of that up.

The best thing to do would be to stick to the books and have Jaime send her after Sansa sometime after the PW. Chances are Brienne and Pod will be captured by BwB towards the end of the season and meet LS then, as a cliffhanger left to unfold in season 5. Or anyway, this is the best outcome I can think of. B&W's narrative decisions aren't always that great (see Theon's storyline), so who knows what they'll do.

I know, somehow get back to the books, or it's all wrong. Brienne can't leave Sansa there, it would ruin everything.

One of the resons I think this is a strong possibility is that unless GRRM has something specific in mind for TWOW that can't work unless Brienne and Sansa have never met, it makes it more interesting for them TO meet. And as much as Jamie sending Brienne on a quest shows his changing character, we have already seen it changing, and it doesn't change things much if he just helps her with some money, resources, Valaryan steel sword & whatever versus sending her on the quest itself. I just find it fits a lot better if Sansa sends Brienne after Arya, since she is the de facto head of house Stark right now. Although Brienne and Jamie are pretty respectful of each other, it's just feels less awkward if it's Sansa, and after the RW, it has a lot more emotional resonance: Brienne feels indebted to House Stark, and Sansa can 'speak' for House Stark on an emotional level. Jamie cannot.

It really doesn't make sense for Sansa to get access to this super-awesome-lady-knight and then send her away on a goose chase for Arya, while at the same time using fat-drunkard-jester-knight to try and escape (without any means of contacting the aforesaid lady-knight, even if she does find her sister). Sansa's desperate to get out of King's Landing at this point, contemplating suicide if she can't. If she had access to a protector like Brienne, she'd be clinging to her.

Having Jaime and Brienne return early made sense as a season ender, but until we see how they handle it in relation to Sansa's escape, it still has the potential to seriously mess up that whole plot.

The show needs more, not less Brienne. She's the true knight of the series. They did away with so much of that sort of thing in the show. But they need it.

The Hound rescued Sansa and then her sister (he's very selective about who he rescues). Loras cheated and the Hound had to save him (fine, so there's one more he rescued, but Sansa was watching). Jaime rescued Brienne (he only rescues maidens).

But where is the true knight of the piece? Brienne. And ah, the irony, she's not even a knight. So the true knight journeys through the dark night of Westeros, with Pod, her faithful squire.

The show needs more, not less Brienne. She's the true knight of the series. They did away with so much of that sort of thing in the show. But they need it.

The Hound rescued Sansa and then her sister (he's very selective about who he rescues). Loras cheated and the Hound had to save him (fine, so there's one more he rescued, but Sansa was watching). Jaime rescued Brienne (he only rescues maidens).

But where is the true knight of the piece? Brienne. And ah, the irony, she's not even a knight. So the true knight journeys through the dark night of Westeros, with Pod, her faithful squire.

How is she not a knight? Because she's a woman? She was a knight of Renly's kingsguard.

How is she not a knight? Because she's a woman? She was a knight of Renly's kingsguard.

She was in the Rainbow Guard, but I don't think she's ever been knighted (formally). Sandor was never knighted and was in Joffrey's Kingsguard.

Interestingly, Dunk was probably never knighted as of the last story, and he was a true knight.

Thank you!

I know it's down to personal taste, but I'm always surprised at the amount of people who did not enjoy Brienne. I think she's an amazing character; she's this lonely, kind-hearted, badass warrior, brave enough to step in a man's profession and to risk it all because she truly believes in what she does. She is the true knight of the series, ita.

Also, the fact that some found Brienne's chapters slow in the book doesn't mean it will translate the same way on screen. The visual medium is very different in this sense.

Being a true knight does not equate to being an interesting character. I think it'd be safe to say that the most readers are more interested in complex characters like The Hound. I didn't hate her chapters as much as some readers but she's definitely near the bottom of my list of favorite POVs. However, I'd be very interested to watch her story if they bring back Locke for her to interact with.

I think Brienne's quest will translate well onto screen. She had some great battles, and she travels to a lot of different locations. That's good eye candy.

I'm curious about the Castle Black location though? I have faith they'll adapt the story pretty well, but the North is so far away from the Riverlands.

Being a true knight does not equate to being an interesting character. I think it'd be safe to say that the most readers are more interested in complex characters like The Hound. I didn't hate her chapters as much as some readers but she's definitely near the bottom of my list of favorite POVs. However, I'd be very interested to watch her story if they bring back Locke for her to interact with.

I completely reject the notion that Brienne isn't a complex character. Not of your liking, fair enough, but she is complex. She's a woman with traditional women's desires and attitude, rising above her position and committing to a male's role in a society that does not accept it and mocks her for it. She's also capable of creating very complex and interesting relationships with nearly every character she encounters.

As much as I like book!Hound, and I do actually, as a woman myself I find Brienne way more complex and captivating in her arc.

In my opinion, Brienne is more complex than the Hound. Their past is kind of a struggle for different reasons and the repetitive line "..I'm looking for a maiden of three and ten.." strengthens her commitment to the readers' view.

I like the idea of having to train with Jaime instead of Ilyn Payne (due to health problems of the latter), and yet she cannot just bump into LS in less than 2 episodes (if we assume she eventually starts her quest).

Point of the matter is, is that Pod and Brienne are on the iceland sets. Whether or not that's meant for countryside around the wall, it means Brienne leaves King's Landing this season, as does Pod. ...

I think that also strengthens the idea that S04 will end with LS's revelation.

I completely reject the notion that Brienne isn't a complex character. Not of your liking, fair enough, but she is complex. She's a woman with traditional women's desires and attitude, rising above her position and committing to a male's role in a society that does not accept it and mocks her for it. She's also capable of creating very complex and interesting relationships with nearly every character she encounters.

As much as I like book!Hound, and I do actually, as a woman myself I find Brienne way more complex and captivating in her arc.

Fair enough, I probably should have said "grey" character instead of complex. I think characters that seem villainous at first but have redeeming qualities underneath(The Hound, Jamie, etc) are more compelling to most readers that are drawn to this series. I mean this is the series that eschews the concept of a "true knight." The most honorable character is killed within the first book. Characters are brutalised by knights on a regular basis and I rolled my eyes everytime Sansa would claim that they are not a "true knight" to do such things. Yeah, Brienne could be considered a true knight, but that's not why I'm reading a Song of Ice and Fire in the first place.

I think the most frustrating part of Brienne's chapters was the fact that we knew exactly where Sansa was, so there wasn't any suspense or excitement that she would actually complete her quest. The most interesting parts to me were anything to do with Tarly and his army, and signs of the BWB. Things picked up when she ran into the Brave Companions, and that's why I think it'll help to have a somewhat consistent antagonist return such as Locke.

I think Brienne's quest will translate well onto screen. She had some great battles, and she travels to a lot of different locations. That's good eye candy.

I agree. It opens up the show, that has been heavily focused on Kings Landing, too.

I mean this is the series that eschews the concept of a "true knight." The most honorable character is killed within the first book. Characters are brutalised by knights on a regular basis and I rolled my eyes everytime Sansa would claim that they are not a "true knight" to do such things. Yeah, Brienne could be considered a true knight, but that's not why I'm reading a Song of Ice and Fire in the first place.

It's more that the series cries out, are there no true knights among you? (Dunk in The Hedge Knight)

The Hound said there were no true knights, then risked his life to save Sansa and Arya. Jaime said there were no true knights, then risked his life to save Brienne.

There's a reason people want to believe. The same with the songs, the series is named for a song. The point is not that these things are without meaning.

I mean this is the series that eschews the concept of a "true knight." The most honorable character is killed within the first book. Characters are brutalised by knights on a regular basis and I rolled my eyes everytime Sansa would claim that they are not a "true knight" to do such things. Yeah, Brienne could be considered a true knight, but that's not why I'm reading a Song of Ice and Fire in the first place.

And yet you have one of the truest knights as your avatar.

And yet you have one of the truest knights as your avatar.

Yep, I knew somebody would point this out. ;) The most compelling part of Barristan is the conflict he feels over his honor. He feels guilt over the kings he's failed to protect, but also considers them to be bad kings. His reaction to his dismissal is one of defiance, not obediance. By the end of ADWD he's willing to do things that are not honorable as a means to an end.

Ultimately I think the concept of a true knight is pure fantasy. Jaime points this out when he says the oaths become contradictory. You can't serve your king and protect the innocent at the same time, when your king orders you to slaughter them, etc...

The Hedge Knight:

The viewing stand had already begun to fill, the lords and ladies clutching their cloaks tight about them against the morning chill. Smallfolk were drifting toward the field as well, and hundreds of them already stood along the fence. So many come to see me die, thought Dunk bitterly, but he wronged them. A few steps farther on, a woman called out, "Good fortune to you." An old man stepped up to take his hand and said, "May the gods give you strength, ser." Then a begging brother in a tattered brown robe said a blessing on his sword, and a maid kissed his cheek. They are for me. "Why?" he asked Pate. "What am I to them?"

"A knight who remembered his vows," the smith said...

Heartsick, Dunk wheeled Thunder and raced back and forth before the tiers of pale cold men. Despair made him shout. "ARE THERE NO TRUE KNIGHTS AMONG YOU?"

Only silence answered.

Across the field, Prince Aerion laughed. "The dragon is not mocked," he called out.

Then came a voice. "I will take Ser Duncan's side."...

The accusers were thrown into confusion, Dunk could see. Prince Maekar spurred his mount forward. "Brother, have you taken leave of your senses?" He pointed a mailed finger at Dunk. "This man attacked my son."

"This man protected the weak, as every true knight must," replied Prince Baelor.

Archived