Please Put More About Maekar's Family in the Book

The same amount of surprising information also about Egg's children? Or is this where we really enter into spoiler territory for the main series?

Good, good, good question Lord Varys. There is plenty of mystery around Egg's third son, who was disinherited. (like Maekar disinherited the Brightflame) Ironic how Egg had to resort to what his father did, even though Egg grew up to be much more humble when compared to his father and brother you might say.

There'll be plenty about Maekar and his children in the book. In fact, some will be surprised by just how much... ;)

Thanks for the info Ran, it will be great to know who Maekar's wife was, if little else. But to know who Daeron and Egg's wives were, that would help a thousand times over in putting theories together that relate to the song of ice and fire books.

It's never been stated that Egg's mystery son was disinherited. In fact, AGoT states that Jaehaerys was Egg's second son, so he would have come next when Prince Duncan gave up his claim to the Iron Throne. If GRRM did not change anything - say, by making the mystery son Egg's second son, and reinvented Jaehaerys as the youngest son - then the mystery prince could have lived out a happy life. They may actually still be descendants of him out there...

- then the mystery prince could have lived out a happy life. They may actually still be descendants of him out there...

Alternatively, Summerhall.

Any desendants of Egg's unknown third son would have been a direct threat to Robert's usurping of the throne. There has never been any whisper of other Targ 'disappearances' at the end of Robert's rebellion, so I have to believe that Egg's third son either never had any descendants (althouh we know he married 'for love'), or else they were involved in the tragedy at Summerhall.

Im all for more Maekar and his family so count me in!

There'll be plenty about Maekar and his children in the book. In fact, some will be surprised by just how much... ;)

Plenty about all of Egg's sons.

This teasing is too much to bear :P . I cant wait for the book to come out.

The mystery prince could have died at Summerhall, yes, but it's just as likely that he was not there. We don't know anything about him. Besides the fact that he married for love.

Jaehaerys most likely was at Summerhall. The fact that his left arm is concealed on his portrait may suggests that he was severely burned there. My guess is that he nearly died while saving pregnant Rhaella and/or her and infant Rhaegar. Jaehaerys was the one who arranged the marriage between Aerys and Rhaella. He believed that their line would give birth to the promised prince. So he might have been willing to sacrifice his life to save hers and/or Rhaegar's.

The mystery prince could have simply disappeared before Summerhall, and/or left Westeros. I suspect that this guy was somewhat involved in either the War of the Ninepenny Kings or in whatever events led up to it. He may have joined the Blackfyre cause for love, or something like that. Such a thing could explain why he is not mentioned later on. We have to keep in mind that at least most - if not all - of Egg's children were already born in 233. He had already a family when ascended to the Iron Throne. And they were already married and may have had all children of their own in 259. Rhaella - Jaehaerys' daugher - was already pregnant with her first child.

A near-complete eradication of the Targaryen cadet branches at Summerhall does seem strange to me. There might have been a gathering - I'd not be surprised if Maester Aemon was there, as well - but surely not all the guys there were killed.

On Aegon's third son:

It's complicated to speculate because we have very little data here, but it's worth noting that Jaeharerys died young and in normal circumstances he would have been still alive and ruling as king at the time of Robert's Rebellion (in his late fifties/early sixties).

Therefore, the life expectancy of a younger brother of Jahaerys would bring him beyound Robert's Rebellion and even into the time of the series. So it seems to me that Jaehaerys younger brother is likely to have died at Summerhall or during the 9PK War.

Just one question, Ran: Is there really another son of Egg, or "three sons" was about Jaehaerys, Duncan and Rhaelle?

The "three sons who married for love" is expressly stated in aDwD in one of Barristan's PoV chapters.

Yes. Egg had three sons.

Thanks Ran, now the long, historic debate that I have seen on several forums, threads has been put to an end, at least for us on this thread. And so Egg had three sons and Rhaelle, Robert's grandmother. Now we know already that egg's sisters married and had children based on Maester Aemon's quote in feast, but we will have to wait and see to which family Egg's son went for a bride.

Well I guess both his sons, the mystery one and Jaeherys for that matter.

We know since ADwD that Egg had three sons. Before that, we had assumed it had been only two. Selmy made it clear that Aegon V had three sons. But we don't yet know if Rhaelle was his only daughter. It's possible, but I doubt it.

We know since ADwD that Egg had three sons. Before that, we had assumed it had been only two. Selmy made it clear that Aegon V had three sons. But we don't yet know if Rhaelle was his only daughter. It's possible, but I doubt it.

I agree Lord Varys, but many people thought that Grrm made a mistake with Barristan's language in that chapter, for some reason, I don't known why though. Good point on Rhaelle though, we don't know if she was Egg's only daughter but since Robert became the king and Renly made that statement from COK, which mentioned how Rhaelle was basically Egg's oldest girl, we can assume that she was likely one of Egg's first children along with Duncan and Jaeherys.

The Baratheon appendix in ADwD calls Rhaelle 'a daughter of Aegon V', so it's possible that there were others. She may be Egg's eldest child since Aemon really interacted with her before he went to the Wall. But this does not need to be the case. Egg was 33 when he became king, so it's easily possible that he married at the age of 20 or so, thus his eldest child could have been 12-13 when Aemon finally left for the Wall. The way Aemon seems to remember Rhaelle ('Uncle Maester') indicates that she may have been a very young child when they parted.

And it's not impossible that Egg married even younger, say, at the age of 16 or so. Then his eldest child most likely would have been an adult according to Westerosi custom when his father ascended the Iron Throne. The fact that Egg married for love could very well indicate that he met his future wife while traveling with Dunk. I can easily imagine Egg falling in love and marrying in a rush the same way Tyrion did, with Maekar being unwilling and/or unable to resolve the marriage the way Tywin did.

I'm not so sure that Egg would be able to resist the demands of arranged marriage back at Summerhall or King's Landing, especially considering that he is already betrothed to one of his younger sisters.

The Baratheon appendix in ADwD calls Rhaelle 'a daughter of Aegon V', so it's possible that there were others. She may be Egg's eldest child since Aemon really interacted with her before he went to the Wall. But this does not need to be the case. Egg was 33 when he became king, so it's easily possible that he married at the age of 20 or so, thus his eldest child could have been 12-13 when Aemon finally left for the Wall. The way Aemon seems to remember Rhaelle ('Uncle Maester') indicates that she may have been a very young child when they parted.

And it's not impossible that Egg married even younger, say, at the age of 16 or so. Then his eldest child most likely would have been an adult according to Westerosi custom when his father ascended the Iron Throne. The fact that Egg married for love could very well indicate that he met his future wife while traveling with Dunk. I can easily imagine Egg falling in love and marrying in a rush the same way Tyrion did, with Maekar being unwilling and/or unable to resolve the marriage the way Tywin did.

I'm not so sure that Egg would be able to resist the demands of arranged marriage back at Summerhall or King's Landing, especially considering that he is already betrothed to one of his younger sisters.

Hey Lord Varys. That's cool that you stumbled on Rhaelle being mentioned in the back of ADWD, I didn't pick up on that at the time. It certainly helps your idea that Egg may have had multiple daughters. If so, that might explain why Ned once told Robert that the Baratheons had the better claim to the IT, being that they had the blood of an older daughter instead of a younger one. I have a hunch that either Ned or Jon Arryn, was a descendant of one of Egg's other daughters, that's why Ned made the statement. As to egg falling in love during his travels with dunk, that seems pretty insightful on your part, some even think that Egg's wife was in or around Winterfell at the time of the next Dunk and Egg story. (that might be why one of his daughters would have married a Stark?) Besides, both Jon and Bran always mentioned their Flint great-grandmother in the books somehow, for some reason. Do you think that the Flint girl married Egg, or that her daughter did? Could be, certainly stranger things have happened in Westeros. And a half flint, half targ woman marrying a Lord stark would certainly be accepted I think, especially if one of the early Targ kings married a Stark woman like people have said on another thread.

Hey Lord Varys. That's cool that you stumbled on Rhaelle being mentioned in the back of ADWD, I didn't pick up on that at the time. It certainly helps your idea that Egg may have had multiple daughters. If so, that might explain why Ned once told Robert that the Baratheons had the better claim to the IT, being that they had the blood of an older daughter instead of a younger one. I have a hunch that either Ned or Jon Arryn, was a descendant of one of Egg's other daughters, that's why Ned made the statement. As to egg falling in love during his travels with dunk, that seems pretty insightful on your part, some even think that Egg's wife was in or around Winterfell at the time of the next Dunk and Egg story. (that might be why one of his daughters would have married a Stark?) Besides, both Jon and Bran always mentioned their Flint great-grandmother in the books somehow, for some reason. Do you think that the Flint girl married Egg, or that her daughter did? Could be, certainly stranger things have happened in Westeros. And a half flint, half targ woman marrying a Lord stark would certainly be accepted I think, especially if one of the early Targ kings married a Stark woman like people have said on another thread.

If Egg did have multiple daughters, I would like to see one of them actually married into House Whent. That would be fascinating to me...

Archived