How many people has Melisandre actually burned?

The Red Melli

I often see comments like "Melisandre has burned alot of people" but did she actually burned alot of people and if so was this a matter of justice?

I know Edric Storm was about to be sacrificed but he escaped.

-Alester Florent attempted to make peace with the Lannisters after the Battle of Blackwater

-Guncer Sunglass by orders of Queen Selyse after he no longer supports Stannis

-Rattleshirt (Glamour as Mance Rayder)

-Hubard Rambton's two sons after they killed 4 Queen's men

-3 cannibals

So you could say they weren't innocent men and this was a matter of justice.

Don't get me wrong though I'm not in favor of burning people alive.

6-ish but there is a lot of hinting in the text on how worshipers of the old gods practiced human sacrifice and still do (those dastardly tree people might have turn Jojen into a condiment).

Being burned alive is something very bad. Asha wants his brother has a severed head instead of being burned.

I think it is said that she burned several soldiers after the defeat in Blackwater, perhaps already burned dozens.

Being burned alive is something very bad. Asha wants his brother has a severed head instead of being burned.

I think it is said that she burned several soldiers after the defeat in Blackwater, perhaps already burned dozens.

Link? I only know Selyse has killed Sunglass during the battle of Blackwater.

Oh my Super-Stannis, I can only think of three. This whole burning thing has been thrown way out of proportion.

Too bad, I'm trying to collect all of them.

I always read post that she burned alot of people but I can't remember if it's that much Google doesn't help either.

Don't get me wrong though I'm not in favor of burning people.

Oh my Super-Stannis, I can only think of three. This whole burning thing has been thrown way out of proportion.

Let's be honest here, setting any amount of people on fire is a bad thing. Be it three or thirty-three.

But yes, the only three I can think of off the top of my head are Sunglass, Florent, and Rattleshirt. Though I feel we should count Edric since she really wanted him burned. Luckily Stannis's stalling and Davos's daring got in the way of that.

Let's be honest here, setting any amount of people on fire is a bad thing. Be it three or thirty-three.

But yes, the only three I can think of off the top of my head are Sunglass, Florent, and Rattleshirt. Though I feel we should count Edric since she really wanted him burned. Luckily Stannis's stalling and Davos's daring got in the way of that.

Most certainly, but then there are threads on this forum which portray Mel as the Westerosi equivalent of Satan, so there seems to be a little flair of the dramatic in her detractors.

Worse methods of execution have been used than what Stannis has allowed Mel, nailing people to poles and leaving them to die slowly in the natural elements. Locking people in crow cages to die from the elements.

Or Jaimes whole torture conversation with Edmure in ADWD, some twisted stuff.

Hubard Rambton's two sons. So I think like 8? In total.

Those two, plus Sunglass, Rattleshirt and Alester Florent. Plus the 3 Cannibals.

Sunglass is the only one I feel is a less than justified execution. Don't get me wrong burning sucks as a way to die, but the others committed clear crimes. Sunglass on the otherhand could be branded a traitor for not supporting Stannis, but he never lifted a hand against him, he pretty much let himself be arrested.

Cannibals were while Stannis was on campaign and Mel at the Wall were they not? Can't really tally that up to Mel.

Or Jaimes whole torture conversation with Edmure in ADWD, some twisted stuff.

Well I'm not going to equate a threat with an action.

Three in ASOIAF. She may have carried out other burnings during her career.

Stannis has also burned three people. Dany has burned two, flayed one, and crucified 163. Victarion has burned six female sex slaves, and drowned twenty catamites, with weights attached. Tyrion has carried out four murders.

Melisandre's record is pretty average, for the series.

Cannibals were while Stannis was on campaign and Mel at the Wall were they not? Can't really tally that up to Mel.

Well I'm not going to equate a threat with an action.

I'm not saying Edmure was actually tortured, i'm just pointing out the fact that far worse stuff goes on in the bowels of Casterly Rock.

To Melisandre they're not really executions, they're sacrifices Stannis allows her to perform on those he sentences to execution. I'm not entirely positive but I don't think there's an example of her revelling in the prolonging or amplification of the suffering, she seems to feel her method of sacrifice is a good death.

As with Victarion.

Dany on the other hand chooses her methods of execution with pain and suffering her intent, attempting to match the pain and suffering to the severity of the crime.

Archived