How many people has Melisandre actually burned?

The Red Melli

So at the end of the day ...

All the people who actually got burned weren't innocent and this was a matter of justice?

We have 4 traitors (2 of Hubard Rambton sons,Alester Florent,Guncer Sunglass)

3 cannibals and Rattleshirt.

Don't get me wrong though I'm not in favor of death by burning alive.

Three in ASOIAF. She may have carried out other burnings during her career.

Stannis has also burned three people. Dany has burned two, flayed one, and crucified 163. Victarion has burned six female sex slaves, and drowned twenty catamites, with weights attached. Tyrion has carried out four murders.

Melisandre's record is pretty average, for the series.

Daenerys Bolton! :P

Which one was that? My memory fails me at the moment.

Daenerys Bolton! :P

Which one was that? My memory fails me at the moment.

The Seller of the poisoned wine. I have no sympathy for him, but his end must have been rather disagreeable, as his flesh and body parts were torn away.

For someone so young, Dany is pretty imaginative, when it comes to disposing of her enemies. Ramsay would probably admire her greatly.

Also, as has been noted upthread, Mel was leagues away when the cannibals were burnt, and technically (ie., splitting hairs), only 2 of them were burnt to death as one of them had his throat slit on the way to the pyre (can't remember the knight's name, the one who pesters Asha).

There are Westeros standards and real world standards. By Westeros standards, Mel's hands are relatively clean. Is her burning traitors any worse than the Ned beheading deserters?

Also, as has been noted upthread, Mel was leagues away when the cannibals were burnt, and technically (ie., splitting hairs), only 2 of them were burnt to death as one of them had his throat slit on the way to the pyre (can't remember the knight's name, the one who pesters Asha).

There are Westeros standards and real world standards. By Westeros standards, Mel's hands are relatively clean. Is her burning traitors any worse than the Ned beheading deserters?

I agree with the clean hands.

People react very negative when it comes to Melisandre on this board.

At the end of the day Melisandre has done more good then bad such as keeping Davos' son back to protect him which was revealed in her POV.

I agree with the clean hands.

People react very negative when it comes to Melisandre on this board.

At the end of the day Melisandre has done more good then bad such as keeping Davos' son back to protect him which was revealed in her POV.

I am guilty of hating on Mel a lot myself, but I saw a quote from GRRM saying he feels Mel is his most misunderstood character, so between that and her getting a POV, I actually started to like her a little more.

I am guilty of hating on Mel a lot myself, but I saw a quote from GRRM saying he feels Mel is his most misunderstood character, so between that and her getting a POV, I actually started to like her a little more.

I also hated Mel in ACoK and the first half of ASoS but she changed in ADWD for me. I asked a question "is she really evil?"

I went to a couple of threads and realised pretty much everyone has a negative view on her which I didn't understand.

I was 100% sure she isn't evil after GRRM quote and ADWD. She want's to help AA to defeat the Great Other and the White walkers.

At the end of the day she does more good than harm.

I also hated Mel in ACoK and the first half of ASoS but she changed in ADWD for me. I asked a question "is she really evil?"

I went to a couple of threads and realised pretty much everyone has a negative view on her which I didn't understand.

I was 100% sure she isn't evil after GRRM quote and ADWD. She want's to help AA to defeat the Great Other and the White walkers.

At the end of the day she does more good than harm.

Alyssa Rosenberg considers her to be "the most important religious figure in Westeros, and the only one of Stannis' advisors to keep him on a course that is both strategic and moral." That's an interesting take on Melisandre, and one that very few readers would share, in my view. Much more common is the view that Melisandre is a kind of bad angel who offers him power in return for doing evil, while Davos is his good angel.

So at the end of the day ...

All the people who actually got burned weren't innocent and this was a matter of justice?

Don't get me wrong though I'm not in favor of death by burning alive.

People (eta: Rambton and his sons) standing up to religious persecution and fanaticism and being killed and burned for it suffices to make their killings "a matter of justice"?

People standing up to religious persecution and fanaticism and being killed and burned for it suffices to make their killings "a matter of justice"?

The lot that got turned to ash most certainly shouldn't be considered martyrs, they were burned because of political reasons and as a form of punishment. Also, rattleshirt was a dick.

People standing up to religious persecution and fanaticism and being killed and burned for it suffices to make their killings "a matter of justice"?

As far as I know all those people commited crimes the king is allowed to sanction the deaths of traitors, is he not?

Same story with Ned Stark who beheaded deserters and you see no one blaming or accusing him. And yes burning people alive is terrible but you must realise these men weren't innocent.

On my first read, I did think Stannis and Melisandre were burning people for refusing to worship R'hllor. That's actually not the case. Neither of them do this - Stannis' army comprises followers of R'hllor, the Seven, and the Old Gods. Stannis was persuaded by Melisandre to destroy his own Sept at Dragonstone, and to burn his images of the Seven. Ser Hubert Rambton and his sons attempted forcibly to prevent the destruction of the Sept. Lord Sunglass renounced allegiance to Stannis, because of Stannis' embrace of R'hllor. In my view, Stannis ought to have shown mercy in these cases, but he was entitled to sentence them all to death.

That adresses my point how? They were defending the sept when the queen's men came to destroy it.

It means that they've killed 4 men. It was ordered by Stannis. Rambton was a knight of Stannis and he fought against it.

It means that he is a traitor and kings are allowed to sanction the death of traitors.

Archived