Anti-Feminist Internet Meme + Privacy Invasion = Let's discuss the Internet.

A Time for Wolves

To clarify: this is only overreaction in the way that breaking a stranger's legs with a except the second time, she's faking the pain—she learned from the first encounter and trained specifically to counter that particular tactic. bat is an overreaction to his/her inquiry about how to get to 4th and main when you are in fact standing on 4th and main. If this is normal to you, cool.

You should think of a better simile. The one you provided is muddled, unclear, and confusing.

First there is literally nothing there but invention. One moment this lady is proud to be a feminist, the next outraged for the same. Well, which is it? It isn't even a bad or embarrasing picture.

So you spent more than a few moments looking at it, perhaps that is the issue. There is nothing there, no deeper meaning as from modern art, no hidden message inherent within the posting itself, just a statement and agreement.

People can be offended by anything under the sun. It need follow no reason. Sure, she is probably offended. Whooppity fucking doo! We all get offended over stupid crap, we realize it's stupid and we get over it - clearly she lacks this capacity. I have much worse pics on the internets (her pic isn't bad even modified).

She wants it removed from presumably every source, if she is successful that would be interesting. Logistically, it is probably impossible.

You should think of a better simile. The one you provided is muddled, unclear, and confusing.

Maybe you should quit trying to fat-shame me. It is obvious from your snarky comeback and deliberate use of an accidental post and refusal to actually argue with any honesty that your only goal here is to fat-shame me into whatever.

So my pudgy hands occasionally hit half a dozen function keys at once, sorry. I usually catch it, but not this time.

The meme best used to describe this thread and everything that resulted from that meme...

Successful troll is successful...

This.

Particularly the stereotypical look-at-me blogger herself, except that she probably has half-convinced herself that she's helping womankind, rather than being an attention-glutton troll.

Maybe you should quit trying to fat-shame me. It is obvious from your snarky comeback and deliberate use of an accidental post and refusal to actually argue with any honesty that your only goal here is to fat-shame me into whatever.

So my pudgy hands occasionally hit half a dozen function keys at once, sorry. I usually catch it, but not this time.

In what way is my critique of your post even related to your weight?

Oh wait, you were trying to be funny. Hahah, I get it now. That's right, you'd show us all how unjustified the reactions are with this absurd exagerration of the response. Go you, you truth-telling brave lone soldier of the world, you.

Re: I know I know

Particularly the stereotypical look-at-me blogger herself, except that she probably has half-convinced herself that she's helping womankind, rather than being an attention-glutton troll.

What qualifies her as "an attention-glutton troll"? How is she trolling? In what ways is she an attention-glutton, compared to the millions of itnernet users who post their own pictures on blogs and facebook pages? Or are we just going to forego pretence of justifying the bullying she got and get straight to victim-blaming this time around?

First there is literally nothing there but invention. One moment this lady is proud to be a feminist, the next outraged for the same. Well, which is it? It isn't even a bad or embarrasing picture.

She never claimed to be outraged to be feminist.

We all get offended over stupid crap, we realize it's stupid and we get over it - clearly she lacks this capacity.

Why do you think she hasn't gotten over it? If anything she should be commended for rallying people to better expose the deceit inherent to the idea that feminists look a certain way.

People wanted her to run and hide and be embarrassed. When that didn't work they now complain she's a glutton for attention.

She wants it removed from presumably every source, if she is successful that would be interesting. Logistically, it is probably impossible.

Where does it say she's continuing to pressure every media site to delete the image? Seems like you're contending against a fictional version of the person rather than their actual actions.

In what ways is she an attention-glutton, compared to the millions of itnernet users who post their own pictures on blogs and facebook pages?

There was an insightful answer to this a while back:

Star Wars Kid is a good example. It's happened to a number of Samwells, yeah - and take-down attempts almost invariably draw even more attention. I think some take-downers are genuinely trying to calm things down, and some not. Some of the take-downers are quietly trying to remove the media, and some are making proclamatory blog posts stating how they feel to the world, with open comment sections with 1000's of comments and countless repostings in forums (like this one) from ladies talking about how to spread awareness of the victim who just wants to be left alone.

Of course, you can always stamp your feet and claim that going the quiet Star Wars Kid route isn't less attention-gluttonous than going the LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE route*.

* on your own channel/blog, with open commenting policy attracting thousands of posts, thank-you's to people who follow and spread your material, thank-you's to me-toos who tell you you're not ugly, troll-feeding angry-posts to me-nots who say that you're ugly, encouragements for all "feminists" to take pictures of themselves and post them to "spread awareness", etc... in short, attention gluttony, which (as you say) is fairly normal internet behavior. Especially for people like this young lady.

In what way is my critique of your post even related to your weight?

Oh wait, you were trying to be funny. Hahah, I get it now. That's right, you'd show us all how unjustified the reactions are with this absurd exagerration of the response. Go you, you truth-telling brave lone soldier of the world, you.

How is your fat shaming of me supposed to be funny? It is what you did. You saw the two mostly identical posts. Instead of providing a response with any integrity you chose to mock my accidental posting with its' random adjustments.

There is no way you did not realize the connection to me being fat, and how occasionally - when I am not entirely vigilant, I somehow hit copy/paste etc all at once before disgarding my device. And you continue, now mocking my offense while denying me any right to be offended.

How is your fat shaming of me supposed to be funny? It is what you did. You saw the two mostly identical posts. Instead of providing a response with any integrity you chose to mock my accidental posting with its' random adjustments.

There is no way you did not realize the connection to me being fat, and how occasionally - when I am not entirely vigilant, I somehow hit copy/paste etc all at once before disgarding my device. And you continue, now mocking my offense while denying me any right to be offended.

:yawns:

* on your own channel/blog, with open commenting policy attracting thousands of posts, thank-you's to people who follow and spread your material, thank-you's to me-toos who tell you you're not ugly, troll-feeding angry-posts to me-nots who say that you're ugly, encouragements for all "feminists" to take pictures of themselves and post them to "spread awareness", etc... in short, attention glutton

You're ignoring the political dimension here. It isn't as if she is discussing some random person not wanting to date her on OKCupid due to her weight.

The whole idea here is that people wanted to shame feminists by using her image as a way to imply feminists are unattractive. Now she turns the tables and she's an "attention glutton"?

Does not compute.

There was an insightful answer to this a while back:

You quote yourself and call your own post insightful?

A poster who registered, what, 36 hours ago, with this much of an axe to grind? What recently banned person is Salad_fevre?

Even worse, why is he/she not called Salad_fingers?

You're ignoring the political dimension here. It isn't as if she is discussing some random person not wanting to date her on OKCupid due to her weight.

The whole idea here is that people wanted to shame feminists by using her image as a way to imply feminists are unattractive. Now she turns the tables and she's an "attention glutton"?

Does not compute.

The feelings of Star Wars Kid aren't less pertinent than those of lookatme-girl because he lacks a "political dimension".

Actually, he has more claim to a political and legal point, since his pictures were uploaded without his consent, by malicious classmates - while lookatme-girl readily shared her pictures on a "you give up all rights to your pictures the second you upload them to this site, you silly girl" licence. SW Kid had a legal case, and had political impact in terms of a serious court precedent. Lookatme has nothing but proof of her own ignorance of the terms of Facebook, and apparent unwillingness to look them up before making a blog post inviting comment from thousands of visitors on her injustice. The closest thing to an impact she's had might be to educate a few more people about how you can't pull the victim-card on big corp - Facebook doesn't care, and they know that your indignation has no effect, Facebook isn't going to experience any kind of mass exodus of feminists. Lookatme-girl even promotes her own meme with invitations to share her ignorant rant on Facebook.

Facebook doesn't even care about her case enough to laugh at her. They know that internet-forum socalled feminists don't care enough to do anything, so why should Facebook even pretend to?

And to be sure, Lookatme-girl didn't "turn any tables", any more than Chris Crocker turned the tables by defending his LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE video with further attention-gluttony posts for months after he went viral, resulting in further attention, notoriety, forum postings, etc. Meme-spreading. Thus, the internet now ridicules Lookatme-girls's increasingly popular picture even more - as happened to Chris Crocker's Britney video. Far as I can tell, to 99% of the net, Chris Crocker still looks like a ridiculous stereotype, with little sense of self-irony, because that's how he comported himself.

And clearly persists after having been burnt sufficiently in the past to know not to use the more common "attention-yyy" phrase that I would typically expect, so there has been arguments with feminists before that convinced it was bad tactically but had no impact on the underlying hostility.

Archived