How did Vary Capture the Sorcerer who cut his balls off? (TV SHOW WITH BOOK SPOILERS)

JacobTaylor

Alright, so this may sound completely random, but in the books varys DOES NOT capture the sorcerer who made him a eunuch and the tv show really gives no such explanation as to how he does and sort of leaves it open ended. This scene kind of pissed me off because not only was it not in the books but it made Varys seem like a completely different character. In the books he seems very composed and almost as if he is "in control" so i dont understand how or why he captured this "sorcerer" in the television series

Alright, so this may sound completely random, but in the books varys DOES NOT capture the sorcerer who made him a eunuch and the tv show really gives no such explanation as to how he does and sort of leaves it open ended. This scene kind of pissed me off because not only was it not in the books but it made Varys seem like a completely different character. In the books he seems very composed and almost as if he is "in control" so i dont understand how or why he captured this "sorcerer" in the television series

Try the show forum, the topic that says BOOK SPOILERS. These usually get ignored on here.

It never happened.

This. The strange decisions the people who produce the TV show sometimes make doesn't concern the books. It's a related story set in more or less the same universe with many similar (but not identical) characters.

On the show it reinforces the fact that Varys has a worldwide network of spies/minions to accomplish what he wants done. It might also be setup for more stuff down the line...

No clue why you think it makes him a different character(how does it make him "not in control??)... I could easily see book Varys doing the same... if he could find the guy.

It wasn't the sorcerer. Varys is in league with Illyrio who worships the Lord of Light so his meat n veg were cut off by someone else, not a sorcerer of R'hllor.

Do you mean that the one who cut Varys isn't a red priest, or that the man in the box is not the one who cut him? Because, as far as the latter is concerned, he is. Tyrion said too.

Do you mean that the one who cut Varys isn't a red priest, or that the man in the box is not the one who cut him? Because, as far as the latter is concerned, he is. Tyrion said too.

Either of those could be true, although I would go for the man who cut Varys being someone other than a follower of the Lord of Light, if the cutting happened at all.

Either of those could be true, although I would go for the man who cut Varys being someone other than a follower of the Lord of Light, if the cutting happened at all.

Right then! Although the show has made quite blatant that Varys was in fact cut, as Ros looked surprised when touching Varys's pubes (he smiled at her afterwards). But yes, the books might present future differences on the matter.

How does this scene turn Varys into a completely different character? He's still the same composed Master of Whisperers. If anything this scene gives him more dephth and underlines his basic character traits:

1) It serves to explain Varys' hatred for magic and how he became who he is (the same way the books did).

2) It emphasises just how extensive his network of little birds is, as he can find this one guy out of a million from a thousand miles away.

3) It proves that Varys is in it for the long game. He is neither stupid nor impulsive. He can wait forever, but if he wants to achieve something, he will achieve it, sometime, somehow and he won't even have to get his hands dirty to do so.

Before reading the books, Varys seemed like an intelligent, but eventually uneffective schemer in the game of thrones to me (in contrast to Littlefinger, who is just as clever, but also gets his results). If I hadn't read the books, this scene would have been the one to tell me that, no, you don't mess with Varys, because even though it may take a loooooooooong time for his plans to bear fruits, he WILL eventually get what he wants.

Right then! Although the show has made quite blatant that Varys was in fact cut, as Ros looked surprised when touching Varys's pubes (he smiled at her afterwards). But yes, the books might present future differences on the matter.

I meant that he's been cut, just it wasn't that particular cutting (i.e. someone chucking his stuff into a fire and hearing a god's/demon's voice) and it just happened under different circumstances to the ones he tells Tyrion.

This might be wishful thinking, but it also could be foreshadowing the amount of influence Tyrion will have at some point in future books. So much influence he will be able to take revenge on a certain sister from across the narrow sea. Since D&D know where things are headed I wonder how much they are able to foreshadow what's to come in the books that haven't been released.

How does this scene turn Varys into a completely different character? He's still the same composed Master of Whisperers. If anything this scene gives him more dephth and underlines his basic character traits:

1) It serves to explain Varys' hatred for magic and how he became who he is (the same way the books did).

2) It emphasises just how extensive his network of little birds is, as he can find this one guy out of a million from a thousand miles away.

3) It proves that Varys is in it for the long game. He is neither stupid nor impulsive. He can wait forever, but if he wants to achieve something, he will achieve it, sometime, somehow and he won't even have to get his hands dirty to do so.

Before reading the books, Varys seemed like an intelligent, but eventually uneffective schemer in the game of thrones to me (in contrast to Littlefinger, who is just as clever, but also gets his results). If I hadn't read the books, this scene would have been the one to tell me that, no, you don't mess with Varys, because even though it may take a loooooooooong time for his plans to bear fruits, he WILL eventually get what he wants.

I think this sums it up quite well, with one addition. Having Varys discuss the sorcerer and then reveal that he had already captured the sorcerer to Tyrion at that point in time makes for some very great television. He was able to tell Tyrion "The revenge you seek will be yours in time" while providing visual proof that yes, Varys knows exactly what he's talking about when he says this. It helps develop the dynamic between Varys and Tyrion, and is visually surprising/scary/revealing to the whole audience (book readers didn't see it coming either).

If you listened to the dialogue you would understand the entire point of the scene and that it doesn't make Varys any different, besides being more obviously powerful and calculated. Show Varys is telling Tyrion he needs to be patient to get what it is he really wants. Book Varys admits in the epilogue of aDwD that he's been plotting for over a decade to get what he wants, and he's able to accomplish it because his patience has earned him influence.

Really pretty simple concept that they decided to spell out more deliberately for the TV audience.

Archived