[TWoW Spoilers] Worldcon reading: second Tyrion chapter

Joseph Nobles

We have 6 chapters covering the Battle of Meeren so far. How many more do you all think we'll have covering the battle and whose POV will they be? Personally, I'm expecting at least three more chapters, 1 from Tyrion, Victarion, and Barristan each.

This second Tyrion chapter feels like almost the end of the battle to me. One more Victarion chapter could see us to the end. And then it's all mop-up and dealing with the plague.

We have 6 chapters covering the Battle of Meeren so far. How many more do you all think we'll have covering the battle and whose POV will they be? Personally, I'm expecting at least three more chapters, 1 from Tyrion, Victarion, and Barristan each.

I really hope it isn't over that quickly. After spending pretty much the entire of ADWD setting it up I hope George pulls out a twist that none of us expect like the Volantis navy showing up

During all of DwD I couldn't help but feel like Dany and Jon's situation was similar. They were both strenghtening their enemies as the book went on. Jon by sending his friends to guard the different forts instead of his opponents. Dany by letting the Yunkish believe she was weak every step of the way. (Half her army and Drogon could have met and defeated Yunkai's army alone).

What appears to me is that Dany always had the upper hand against Yunkai and now that she is gone Barristan is actually using (althought not always willingly) all the cards the Dragon had at her disposal. That plus the ironborn arriving before the volanteen reinforcement makes the battle look easy.

Yunkai was never strong. Remember the POVs describing them have not seen Dany march thru the Slaver's Bay. I wonder what Barristan would have said about their army. And even without Tyrion or Quentyn the sellsword's loyalty was never absolutly for Yunkai. (The wrong side in the chapter, it's not a notion of right/wrong, money/no money, it's pure survival) They were overextenting and mainly served as a rally point for all the slaving world. They were confident because the Harpy was telling them that Dany was being manipulated, which was true, but when Drogon and then Ser Barristan/Quentyn changed the situation the Dragon (and the dragons) wasn't in control anymore and now it's payback time.

Volantis is going to be another matter altogether. Victarion might be despized but he knows a thing or two when it comes to ships and battles. And he was scared of the fleet departing from Volantis.

Thanks for the info OP.

Damn...im getting frustrated. How many samples are there? Couldn't someon put all the samples for TWoW in one topic and update it as the samples are being released??

Iv'e read....

Victarion when he asks the 3 guys to blow the horn.

Theon when he talks to stannis

Arianne when she is dispatched by her father to lord connington

A little summery of Tyrion playing with brown ben plum

Two summeries about Barristan selmy 1. the battle plans 2. the battle

what have i missed?

Damn...im getting frustrated. How many samples are there? Couldn't someon put all the samples for TWoW in one topic and update it as the samples are being released??

Iv'e read....

what have i missed?

Where did you read about Theon talking to Stannis (the two worst characters in the series, imo)?

Somebody said there have been two Arianne chapters but I've only seen the one you ref - over on GRRM's own site.

Daario will die. Tyrion will get back with Sansa, who will be glad to get back to the only man who showed her kindness [ after Littlefinger and Harry Handsome add more pain] Barristan lives , Victarion lives and Jorah lives. Winterfell will fall but Stannis will die. Jon lives but the assassins do not, torn apart by the giant. Do not forget that GRRM will have to tell the story of Rickon & Osha from the parting at Winterfell to the eventuall meeting up with Davos. And Arya and Nymeria have to get back together and kill some Freys and Boltons. Oh, Cesei and Jaime will die.

We've had two Tyrion chapters, a full Victarion chapter (half read on YouTube the rest read at a con or two) and 2 Barristan chapters (in addition to the 1 Theon and 2 Arianne chapters) and it's gotten hard to keep track of.

Here's a thorough and detailed analysis of what we know and can expect from the Battle of Fire/Battle of Meereen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWs4kHbVnCk

Iv'e read....

what have i missed?

So iv'e missed the Arianne 2.0 chapter and tyrion 2.0 chapter. What else? =) (and btw...where can i find them?)

Where did you read about Theon talking to Stannis (the two worst characters in the series, imo)?

Ack! Are you serious? Please explain this statement. Theon is the BEST character in the entire series, imo - and Stannis is right up there. How can you not like the Theon Dance chapters or Stannis' scenes with Davos or Jon?

The Theon sample WoW chapter is one of the best chapters I have read in the entire series and makes Stannis even more of a bad-ass than he already was.

Ack! Are you serious? Please explain this statement. Theon is the BEST character in the entire series, imo - and Stannis is right up there. How can you not like the Theon Dance chapters or Stannis' scenes with Davos or Jon?

The Theon sample WoW chapter is one of the best chapters I have read in the entire series and makes Stannis even more of a bad-ass than he already was.

I'm sorry, I know there are fans of his :dunno:, but Theon is fingernails on a blackboard to me - both TV & book. Stannis is not - he's just dull.

Eta

I will agree that the Theon/Stannis chapter from WOW was good. But typical of Theon's bad luck, he gets good as he is about to go bye-bye (or so it would appear).

Archived