Middle East 14 - You know nothing ...

Istakhr

• 2 weeks later...

A court in Egypt has sentenced to death 528 supporters of ousted Islamist President Mohammed Morsi.

They were convicted of charges including murdering a policeman and attacks on people and property.

The group is among over 1,200 supporters of Mr Morsi on trial, including senior Brotherhood members.

Authorities have cracked down harshly on Islamists since Mr Morsi was removed by the military in July. Hundreds have been killed and thousands arrested.

They are expected to appeal.

What is the Egyptian equivalent of vae victis? :stillsick:

Once again, I'd like to express my disgust at the new Egyptian junta. There was plenty of flaws with Mursi's regime, but compared to who replaced him, he was a kitten.

Agree 100%.

After first banning Twitter, Turkey is now banning YouTube as well. This is one of the reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-1GooSDwJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm7eg0-IjlI

These are recordings of a meeting between Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu, Head of the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Hakan Fidan, Undersecretary of the Foreign Ministry Feridun Sinirlioğlu, and Chief of General Staff General Yaşar Güler, where they are discussing a Black Flag operation to use as a pretext for an invasion of Syria.

A transcript in English translation can be found here:

Ahmet Davutoğlu:
“Prime Minister said that in current conjuncture, this attack (on Suleiman Shah Tomb) must be seen as an opportunity for us.”
Hakan Fidan:
“I’ll send 4 men from Syria, if that’s what it takes. I’ll make up a cause of war by ordering a missile attack on Turkey; we can also prepare an attack on Suleiman Shah Tomb if necessary.”
Feridun Sinirlioğlu:
“Our national security has become a common, cheap domestic policy outfit.”
Yaşar Güler:
“It’s a direct cause of war. I mean, what’re going to do is a direct cause of war.”

• 3 weeks later...

Once again, I'd like to express my disgust at the new Egyptian junta. There was plenty of flaws with Mursi's regime, but compared to who replaced him, he was a kitten.

How so?

Are the people getting the food they need and the gas to cook it?

Watch for that, its what set off the last couple of rebelions, and it will go on and on until basic needs can be met.

• 1 month later...

Apparently ISIS are in movie making business. The latest blockbuster, Salil Sawarim 4, featuring roadside bombs, drive-bys, mortars, a wide variatyu pf executions and of course passionate speeches inciting harm to the fellow man. All in all, not for the people with weak nerves, but very educational (about the essence of the movement).

• 2 weeks later...

So, that Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, eh?

Overnight, hundreds of men armed with rocket-propelled grenades, sniper rifles and machine-guns seized the provincial government's headquarters.

They also destroyed several police stations before moving towards a top-security prison and military airport.

Iraq's parliamentary speaker said "terrorists" now controlled all Mosul and called for troop reinforcements.

In the past week, the jihadist Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) and its allies have carried out major attacks on cities and towns in western and northern Iraq, killing scores of people.

That's most of Sunni-majority Iraq now out of government control.

Iraqi army wracked by desertions, bombing its own bases to stop gear falling into ISIS hands

as many as half a million fleeing Mosul

This has to be raising some eyebrows over at casa Suleimani - Maliki's strongman game has been alienating a lot of people the last few years, but events like this are somewhat incompatible with being a strongman, and if he doesn't recoup his losses pretty quick he may start running into even more domestic difficulties.

I know the Iraq war is totally and completely over since 2011 never to return but I am amazed how little coverage this is getting.

EDIT: right on cue, Sadr makes noises about getting the band back together

A really good rundown on how Iraq got to this point

...I know the Iraq war is totally and completely over since 2011 never to return but I am amazed how little coverage this is getting...

Hey, like the man said "mission accomplished". So obviously this must all be the result of the personal failings of the local politicians.

/sarcasm

A friend who served in Northern Iraq. He says that the Kurds will be a tough nut ISIS to crack if the push on and that theynare likely to fight hard for Mosul.

Kirkuk is also very close to both Mosul and Tikrit and if ISIS push towards it, the Kurds will definitely enter the fight.

Archived