Lynesse Hightower?

Light a wight tonight

Hightower and Mormont are technically on the same level. Both are important Lords directly sworn to their Lord Paramount. Of course, the Hightowers are number one on that level while the Mormonts are somewhere in the lower half, but still the same level. It isn't a Cassel or a Haigh asking for Lynesse, it's a Mormont. And furthermore, it's Lord Mormont, without any children. Lord Hightowers grandson would be Lord of Bear Island. Some of his other children had to made do with being or marrying household knights, but Lynesse landed an actual important Lord. Jorah is simply playing it up.

Furthermore, the Hightowers are really, really pissed with Lynesse for blowing it. "His whore of a sister"? That's something no captain in service to the Hightowers would ever say to strangers while on duty (or ever) - except when it's the company line.

• 2 weeks later...

Hightower and Mormont are technically on the same level. Both are important Lords directly sworn to their Lord Paramount. Of course, the Hightowers are number one on that level while the Mormonts are somewhere in the lower half, but still the same level. It isn't a Cassel or a Haigh asking for Lynesse, it's a Mormont. And furthermore, it's Lord Mormont, without any children. Lord Hightowers grandson would be Lord of Bear Island. Some of his other children had to made do with being or marrying household knights, but Lynesse landed an actual important Lord. Jorah is simply playing it up.

Furthermore, the Hightowers are really, really pissed with Lynesse for blowing it. "His whore of a sister"? That's something no captain in service to the Hightowers would ever say to strangers while on duty (or ever) - except when it's the company line.

I don't think he was playing it up because in the same paragraphs he admits to infidelity with his first wife "I had my fair share of fishwives and crofters daughters; before and after I was married.". I can't imagine him saying that if he was trying to paint himself in a sympathetic light to Daenerys. So he probably is being bluntly sincere that the distance in wealth and rank was extreme. This probably indicates that a knight from the Reach is actually materially a lot better off or at least has easier (cheaper) access to the finer things in life than the lord of Bear Island. Impoverished north and wealthy south seems to be pretty strongly emphasized. If a little innaccurately because Lynesse is from renaissance Italy whilst Jorah is from somewhere out of Beowulf...

Also, I think the attitude is more due to the patriarchal attitude that a woman cannot sleep around when she is married. Similar to how people view Cersei. Technically Lynesse and Jorah are still married. Her becoming another mans concubine for a comfortable living would be looked down on and in that society affect the Hightowers reputation as a family.

I don't think he was playing it up because in the same paragraphs he admits to infidelity with his first wife "I had my fair share of fishwives and crofters daughters; before and after I was married.". I can't imagine him saying that if he was trying to paint himself in a sympathetic light to Daenerys. So he probably is being bluntly sincere that the distance in wealth and rank was extreme. This probably indicates that a knight from the Reach is actually materially a lot better off or at least has easier (cheaper) access to the finer things in life than the lord of Bear Island. Impoverished north and wealthy south seems to be pretty strongly emphasized. If a little innaccurately because Lynesse is from renaissance Italy whilst Jorah is from somewhere out of Beowulf...

Also, I think the attitude is more due to the patriarchal attitude that a woman cannot sleep around when she is married. Similar to how people view Cersei. Technically Lynesse and Jorah are still married. Her becoming another mans concubine for a comfortable living would be looked down on and in that society affect the Hightowers reputation as a family.

They weren't far apart in rank. Definitely in wealth, but House Mormont is a very highly respected house and on par with the Hightowers in terms of rank. The main issue here was basically a culture gap.

Well, except that the Mormonts are dirt poor right?

Well they certainly became dirt poor after Lynesse was done with them.

I wouldn't know the Hightowers' motivation for going through with her marriage to Jorah... maybe they secretly hated him or something and figured Lynesse was a sure-fire way to bring him down. But, all jokes aside, wealth isn't everything in Westeros, as Robb proved when he damn nearly conquered half of Westeros and repeatedly defeated the Lannisters in battle. Perhaps Lord Hightower figured that having a strong ally in the north, respected by the Starks, would be highly beneficial for him. Unfortunately, his daughter happened.

Who's to say it wasn't some kind of infatuation of both their parts? People act like it is all Lynesse's fault. Jorah could have said no. He chose not to. He chose to sell slaves. Did she tell him too? Did she hold a sword to his head and force him? No. That's on him. He got himself a pretty little young wife and thought it was all good. Lynesse probably gave Jorah exactly what he had wanted. It was him who couldn't hold up the bargain. She was a Hightower of Oldtown.

Actually Ser Jorah was one of the BETTER matches for the daughters of Hightower. While the second eldest daughter did well with the Tyrells, none of the other matches were spectacular and the next daughter up just got a lowly knight.

However I have a bit of as suspicion that the Hightowers are selecting matches with FIRST Men blood. Might be wrong. Certainly the age and honour of the house seems more important that wealth

Lynesse probably gave Jorah exactly what he had wanted. It was him who couldn't hold up the bargain. She was a Hightower of Oldtown.

Selling those poachers was a huge mistake, and it was legitimate for Ned to go after him. However, Lynesse was a notorious spender and demanded a life of luxury, when it was obvious that Jorah wouldn't be able to afford it... selling those poachers was criminal and unacceptable but he was in a tough spot with her... and she was little more than a glorified whore, as she proved in Lys when she went to that rich merchant. She only cared about living a life of luxury and betrayed her husband because he wasn't wealthy enough.

I was under the impression that it started off as a love-match but things just didn't work out. Like in the case of Doran and his wife. Hightower had a lot of daughters so matching them wasn't that crucial. What she's doing now? I'm not sure. Chief Concubine to a merchant prince is better than exile, I suppose. Her brother is on his way to her in Lys to bring back ships so I hope we'll find out.

Hightowers are wealthier than Mormont's and they have more men. Politically, the Hightowers once had Queen Alicient in KL which led to the Dance. Perhaps in their respective realms they're about as noble as each other, especially since the north and the south value such different traits. But the Hightowers don't seem care much about what Westeros thinks of them. They're kind of an island. Still Jorah was Lord of Bear Island, nothing to scoff at.

Selling those poachers was a huge mistake, and it was legitimate for Ned to go after him. However, Lynesse was a notorious spender and demanded a life of luxury, when it was obvious that Jorah wouldn't be able to afford it... selling those poachers was criminal and unacceptable but he was in a tough spot with her... and she was little more than a glorified whore, as she proved in Lys when she went to that rich merchant. She only cared about living a life of luxury and betrayed her husband because he wasn't wealthy enough.

Are we even sure that Lynesse bought the things and not Jorah himself buying them for her because he knew it would please her? And if so that is totally on him. She didn't demand it. He gave it to her. Jorah could have stopped it as soon as it got too much. He's the one who didn't put his foot down and say enough. He's the one who started selling people even though he knew it was a crime. He's a grown man probably considerably older than Lynesse. Yet it is her fault when he does stupid things. I don't think so.

Well in Lys is where she wants to be now. He couldn't protect her the way he used to be able to. She found someone else who could. She gets everything she wants know.

And Jorah probably only cared about how hot/beautiful she was. She traded in for a better model. Men do it all the time. They also take lovers while their wives have to just sit around and take it. At least now she has what she always wanted.

Well they certainly became dirt poor after Lynesse was done with them.

I wouldn't know the Hightowers' motivation for going through with her marriage to Jorah... maybe they secretly hated him or something and figured Lynesse was a sure-fire way to bring him down. But, all jokes aside, wealth isn't everything in Westeros, as Robb proved when he damn nearly conquered half of Westeros and repeatedly defeated the Lannisters in battle. Perhaps Lord Hightower figured that having a strong ally in the north, respected by the Starks, would be highly beneficial for him. Unfortunately, his daughter happened.

The Starks aren't an impoverished house either. I kind of feel like the show did them a disservice in this regard. This is a house that is possibly the oldest in Westeros and ruled for a very long time as Kings of Winter. Again, they may not have Lannister or Hightower money, but they definitely didn't have a shortage of money. The glass gardens alone attest to that.

I think this is the answer OP is looking for.

I think this is the answer OP is looking for.

Maybe, if she was a whore before marrying Jorah.

The scenario sort of reminds me of an episode in the old sitcom Soap where there's a big wedding for the daughter of a Jewish gangster and in his giving the bride away speech he delivers a rant about how happy he is to be getting rid of her and wishing the groom good luck. Ending in l'chaim.

Maybe, if she was a whore before marrying Jorah.

The scenario sort of reminds me of an episode in the old sitcom Soap where there's a big wedding for the daughter of a Jewish gangster and in his giving the bride away speech he delivers a rant about how happy he is to be getting rid of her and wishing the groom good luck. Ending in l'chaim.

Wait, how is that comparison related to what I wrote?

Are we even sure that Lynesse bought the things and not Jorah himself buying them for her because he knew it would please her? And if so that is totally on him. She didn't demand it. He gave it to her. Jorah could have stopped it as soon as it got too much. He's the one who didn't put his foot down and say enough. He's the one who started selling people even though he knew it was a crime. He's a grown man probably considerably older than Lynesse. Yet it is her fault when he does stupid things. I don't think so.

No, it was his fault that he SOLD POACHERS into slavery, but it was her fault for demanding a level of luxury which was not possible on Bear Island. Sure, Jorah could've put his foot down and told the woman "this ends here", but she was the spoiled brat here.

Well in Lys is where she wants to be now. He couldn't protect her the way he used to be able to. She found someone else who could. She gets everything she wants know.

Protection isn't luxury. Jorah was able to pretect her very well, he was however unable to provide a high standard of life for her. It's like if your wife leaves you because you can't afford the newest Mercedes-Benz... sure, it's her prerogative, and it's also my prerogative to call her a jumped-up whore.

And Jorah probably only cared about how hot/beautiful she was. She traded in for a better model. Men do it all the time. They also take lovers while their wives have to just sit around and take it. At least now she has what she always wanted.

Yes. To be a whore who sleeps with rich men because they're rich.

No, it was his fault that he SOLD POACHERS into slavery, but it was her fault for demanding a level of luxury which was not possible on Bear Island. Sure, Jorah could've put his foot down and told the woman "this ends here", but she was the spoiled brat here.

Exactly and she would have had to accept it. He allowed her to say that way and didn't give her the reality check that she needed.

Protection isn't luxury. Jorah was able to pretect her very well, he was however unable to provide a high standard of life for her. It's like if your wife leaves you because you can't afford the newest Mercedes-Benz... sure, it's her prerogative, and it's also my prerogative to call her a jumped-up whore.

Like you said it is her pregrogative it is her decision. She can do whatever she wants right now. Is she really a jumped-up whore? I mean she is a Hightower from one of the richest families in Westeros. She's had more luxury in her life than Jorah ever had in his.

When he couldn't afford it, she left. So What. People have left their spouses for both less and more. Jorah had all the power in the relationship. It was his prerogative to sell the poachers and he did. He was punished for it. I seriously doubt it is the same thing as your comparison to a Mercedes-Benz. He was wanted in their homeland. He had nothing. They were most definitely poor. Living from place to place on the courtesy of others. She set out to make it on her own by using what she had if it is her beauty like I said so what. She got what she wanted.

Yes. To be a whore who sleeps with rich men because they're rich.

Jorah married her because she was pretty so what. He wants to F*ck Daenerys too. I doubt he would be so obsessive if she wasn't pretty.

So Jorah is pretty shallow. At least Lynesse is getting something out of it.

Wait, how is that comparison related to what I wrote?

When she became a whore in the eyes of her family is relatable to the original post wondering why the highly cultured Hightower family allowed Lynesse to marry a semi-barbarian whose female relatives claim they mate with bears.

The rest is about a family marrying off an undesirable daughter, a possible reason for the Lynesse/Jorah match. "Get her out of town before she shames us again."

Archived