New TWOW chapter coming 10/29

Sour Billy Tipton

What is everyone's problem on this site? Can't write one post without some troller getting ticked off. My point was - release the book already and not just chapter by chapter. Geez.

Here's one - if you don't like my post - don't read it.

How can we know if we don't like your post if we don't read it?

Well, Dance was thought to be half written due to the manuscript pages being split via geographic separation of the POVs. But in fact I think GRRM only had about 300-400 pages left over when he started Dance, not even close to halfway.

Of course if it is true that GRRM is roughly halfway done with Winds, that's better progress than he made with Dance. Took him 5.5 years to pen another 1100 or so pages to finish Dance, and if he's sitting at, say, 700 pages for Winds that means he's gotten 600ish done in the past 1.5 years (assuming roughly 100 pages culled from Dance). We can only hope it's true, and that the quality is still there. The HBO show has got to be pressuring him a good bit.

Thing is the delays for AFFC and ADWD were apparently down to a unique set of circumstances, scrapping of a whole heap of work, untangling of the Mereenese knot etc, so with those problems behind him (and no mention of similar problems for TWOW), why would he take 5 years to write this book as well?

Can only assume hes got other work to do, which is fair enough, he's earned his status so why not take advantage of it. Strike while the irons hot.

I took that with a grain of salt as it relies upon Martin honesty and actor recall, but I also took the previous statement that was 1/4 finished with a grain of salt. I don't think anyone really knows.

If what GRRM said to Liam is accurate, and assuming he is still making similar progress, TWOW was 'half finished' in spring of 2013, which means he should be substantially further along now.

I took that with a grain of salt as it relies upon Martin honesty and actor recall, but I also took the previous statement that was 1/4 finished with a grain of salt. I don't think anyone really knows.

Yeah the inconsistency can be due to a number of things. Another way to make sense of the inconsistent numbers would be the distinction GRRM has used in the past between written pages and finished pages. It might be that he was at the half way point in raw form but estimated that this meant only about 1/4 of the total work needed to finish the book was complete. It would seem that it would make sense for him to use the raw form number in a conversation about coming plot developments, which likely won't change in revision.

\

Yeah the inconsistency can be due to a number of things. Another way to make sense of the inconsistent numbers would be the distinction GRRM has used in the past between written pages and finished pages. It might be that he was at the half way point in raw form but estimated that this meant only about 1/4 of the total work needed to finish the book was complete. It would seem that it would make sense for him to use the raw form number in a conversation about coming plot developments, which likely won't change in revision.

The inconsistency arises from the fact that Liam simply was not trying to give a progress update.

The gist of his statement was simply that GRRM was in the process of writing TWOW and told Liam a secret about something that happens involving Davos. In this context, "halfway" is probably nothing more than careless language for "in the process of writing". The WHOLE point of the story was that GRRM told him a secret about Davos.

If "halfway" does mean anything more specific than that, it means that whatever is going to happen to Davos is planned to happen somewhere roughly in the middle of the book, not that GRRM has finished 50% of the writing he needs to finish.

We have an update from GRRM's own mouth from the exact same time as the alleged "halfway" remark: And its gist was basically: I haven't counted; I don't know; maybe 25% but don't hold me to it.

If it were a reference to finished pages, then he would probably know how many.

Why Adria´s nterview has been discredited? If was poor translation, cant it be fixed?

It can be "fixed" by ignoring Adria's Interview, and finding the real interviews that Adria cobbled together his interview from. These, however, are not as exciting to fans, as they do not sound quite as optimistic or upbeat about progress when correctly translated. They therefore have attracted far less attention.

I truly think he isn't going to give updates this time as long as he feels on schedule(his own). HIs go to answer is 1/4 been that since early 2012 when he announced his return to writing tWoW. The majority of that was the condo firmed chapters that he moved from Dance. Considering how available and open he was in the past he probably feels burnt by all the trolls and negative comments last time around. There is already enormous expectations for this book, and it seems he more comfortable this time keeping it under wraps because its been almost 2 years since that announcement returning to writing wiith 1/4 done. So highly doubt he's made no progress over that period of time.

SirDuncan the Tall wrote:

I truly think he isn't going to give updates this time as long as he feels on schedule(his own). HIs go to answer is 1/4 been that since early 2012 when he announced his return to writing tWoW.

GRRM claims to have written hundreds of pages of ASOIAF related fiction in the past year, though none of it on TWOW. (The bulk of this writing however, is being saved for a far-distant post Dream-of-Spring future). If we credit this, then that is more than adequate explanation for his lack of progress on TWOW over the last year, when he was apparently writing hundreds and hundreds of pages of other fiction.

If we credit this, it is also adequate reason for optimism. If he can still churn out hundreds of pages of writing a year; then he can churn out WINDS fast enough, now that he has other projects out of the way.

But until he reports progress, no news is bad news. No reason to think there is progress when none is reported. If we expect nothing, we cannot be disappointed.

And if he surprises us, that's fine too. But I for one intend to be surprised, and not taken in by unjustified wishful thinking.

There is already enormous expectations for this book, and it seems he more comfortable this time keeping it under wraps because its been almost 2 years since that announcement returning to writing wiith 1/4 done. So highly doubt he's made no progress over that period of time.

The U.S. paperback release is around the corner. No reported progress on TWOW, for the last 2 years, is bad publicity. If he is keeping secrets, then he is screwing his publishers.

Of course, there is still time to report SOME progress before Oct 29. But, until then, no news is bad news.

He did specifically say before TWOW that he would be every cautious with progress updates from now after the misery of ADWD. I do not expect to know until something big is around the corner.

I do believe he set he beginning of this year as a cutoff date for other writing projects and has really only been working full time on TWOW for about 10 months time.

I doubt a lack of a progress report on the next book will be of concern to publishers at this point with the level of notoriety the series has achieved. It has been my impression that GRRM's openness about his writing progress is unusual for an author. There are plenty of writers who say nothing about their work until they are ready to publish.

Archived