how can westeros only have on hero Jon Snow

raegal_targaryen

There's an absolute obligation for at least one KG to stay with the King while the others are doing whatever.

Ned asks them why, since Aerys is dead, all 3 are still at the ToJ (they were the missing KG).

They said back they know where Viserys, the one Ned supposes is the new King for them to protect, is, but they ain't going anywhere, their duty is there (they won't flee from their obligations).

Again, primary duty for a KG is to protect the King.

There's an absolute obligation for at least one KG to stay with the King while the others are doing whatever.

Ned asks them why, since Aerys is dead, all 3 are still at the ToJ (they were the missing KG).

They said back they know where Viserys, the one Ned supposes is the new King for them to protect, is, but they ain't going anywhere, their duty is there (they won't flee from their obligations).

Again, primary duty for a KG is to protect the King.

this is the reason I think Jaime will either take the black to protect Jon or become part of Jons KG

this is the reason I think Jaime will either take the black to protect Jon or become part of Jons KG

How many kings has Jaime guarded? Aerys, Robert, Joff, are dead and there's a prophecy that Tommen will die sometime soon. At least Jon's ahead of the curve, being "dead" already.

Jaime is the third head of something, along with Margaery and Harrenhall.

Lord almighty show any doubt for Jon as being #TheOne and you get an assload of people jumping to defend him. Jon is my favorite "Stark" but ASOIAF isn't Lord of the Rings or any of the generic fantasy that came after it. To put the burden of saving the continent on his shoulders alone would be ludicrous.

On a completely unrelated note I am dying from starvation... feed me more content GRRM!

Lord almighty show any doubt for Jon as being #TheOne and you get an assload of people jumping to defend him. Jon is my favorite "Stark" but ASOIAF isn't Lord of the Rings or any of the generic fantasy that came after it. To put the burden of saving the continent on his shoulders alone would be ludicrous.

On a completely unrelated note I am dying from starvation... feed me more content GRRM!

ur totally right.... about this isnt lotr :D

And also:

New leader of the wildlings.

Dany's new husband.

The valonquar.

The nightking.

The others lieutenant.

The WARG king.

The ice dragon.

Paul Atreides in Middle Earth (he will kill all his foster siblings).

Reverse SNOW White.

How dare you spew this vile aurochs droppings out of that pigeon pie hole. Jon is not to me mocked nor japed at.

He is the Lord and Savior of Planetos

I don't think there is anything in Ned's dream that proves that Hightower, Whent, and Dayne thought they were guarding a king. They were already guarding the Tower of Joy prior to the Battle of the Trident, when Aerys and all of his heirs were still alive, and they continued guarding it to their own deaths.

I see no proof they would have abandoned Rhaegar's child and fled to Dragonstone to protect Viserys even if they knew he had fled to Dragonstone (which I am not sure they did before Ned told them), bastard or not. The change from one king they were not protecting to another king they are not protecting does not change who they were commanded to guard, and had been guarding the whole time no matter the changes in circumstances elsewhere.

It may turn out that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married, and that he made protecting his third child a priority over protecting his daughter and his heir, but I see nothing in Ned's dream or anything else that proves they thought they were defending a king at the Tower of Joy.

I don't think there is anything in Ned's dream that proves that Hightower, Whent, and Dayne thought they were guarding a king. They were already guarding the Tower of Joy prior to the Battle of the Trident, when Aerys and all of his heirs were still alive, and they continued guarding it to their own deaths.

I see no proof they would have abandoned Rhaegar's child and fled to Dragonstone to protect Viserys even if they knew he had fled to Dragonstone (which I am not sure they did before Ned told them), bastard or not. The change from one king they were not protecting to another king they are not protecting does not change who they were commanded to guard, and had been guarding the whole time no matter the changes in circumstances elsewhere.

It may turn out that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married, and that he made protecting his third child a priority over protecting his daughter and his heir, but I see nothing in Ned's dream or anything else that proves they thought they were defending a king at the Tower of Joy.

exacly u took the words outta my hands :D

Classic Jon/Dany smackdown... You think people would be bored by now... :)

Jon is our savior because he is Last Hero, PTWP, AAR, KitN, LC of NW, Lord Snow, Rightful King of Westeros, blah blah... Deal with that... :)

And, OP, it's OK to use "Jon Snow hate thread"... It would be easier and you wouldn't have to do lousy job in concealing true colors...

:agree: and I know I am bored of all of those DanyvsJon smackdowns.

I disagree, Ned tells them explicitly that Viserys is the next heir and that he expected them to defend him (and Rhaegar on the Trident) and they brush it off. Why would they be doing that? Why honor the word of a dead prince over guarding the next in line? I think Ned only really wanted his sister and would have had no problem letting the KG go to Dragonstone to defend who they believe is their king, yet that thought doesn't even cross their minds. They are there to make sure nobody takes Lyanna over guarding what is presumably the next king. That makes zero sense for a KG, especially a KG where the line of kings is dying so quickly.

We do not know how much the three KG at the ToJ did or didn't know at the time they were confronted by Ned and his allies.

The Battle of the Trident is the only detail I would say they are explicitly shown in Ned's dream to have knowledge of when they were confronted. They might have had knowledge of some of the other things Ned mentions, but they only respond to Ned's comments, we are not shown what they knew prior to Ned's comments, or how long they knew it.

Let us assume for the sake of argument that Rhaegar and Lyanna married and Jon is their completely legitimate son. That would still make him Rhaegar's third child, and second son, third in line for Aerys' throne at the time he was born if he was born before the Battle of the Trident, and second if he was born after.

Yet when prince Rhaegar was dead, Lewyn Martell and Jonothor Derry were dead, Selmy was wounded on the Trident, and only Jamie Lannister remained in King's Landing, the three KG, including the Lord Commander and Rhaegar's best friend, did not go to guard the reigning king or the top heir to the reigning king, but every single one remained at the ToJ.

If guarding the king or his legitimate heirs was the primary concern of these three men, they might have gone to KL when half the KG went to the Trident leaving the royals in KL protected by one KG, or after those three were dead and wounded, but they still didn't. Not for Aerys the king. Not for Aegon, Aerys' heir. But suddenly when Viserys is the next heir anyone is aware of, their motivation for staying where they have been all along is to guard the king?

I see no proof that they thought they were guarding a king, and I don't think their remaining at the Tower of Joy indicates they thought they were guarding a king. It may turn out that they did. But interpreting Ned's dream to mean this is just that, interpreting, it is not at all explicitly or clear in and of itself.

Jon is not going to be taking any thrones or accepting any family other than the Starks. When he finds out he's a Targareyan it won't be important because his place is in the North protecting the realm since, well, he's the hero

It'd be a classic move for George to have Jon find out he has a claim to the IT and even the North but turn it all down. Or even die without him making a confirmed choice

ASOIAF has always been an ensemble - they are either going to survive together or be destroy alone. This is not to say that Jon won't be one of the leader, because its pretty obvious he will but so will Dany be a leader as well. I mean who's gonna get the unsullied and the dothraki to the wall. :)

Archived