Are the books worth it?

Zanderman489

For me there was no question, once I saw the first season I had to start the books immediately. I don't feel that my book knowledge has diminished my enjoyment of the show. Like other posters have said, they are different stories in different media, and I appreciate both for what they are and for what they bring to the table that the other can't.

Your particular problem of having a group of show-only friends is indeed sticky. I have to say I think that your participation with them will become a lot more frustrating and less fun if you read the books. That said there are a lot of things currently open in the show which are not yet resolved in the books, so *shrug*.

I watched the show first with my sisters. Later one of my sisters decided that she really wanted to read the books. I didn't want to at first, mostly because I thought the show would be much more exciting if I didn't know what was going to happen.

But I ended up reading the books anyway and I am so glad that I did.

The show is amazing, but the books are extremely amazing. And after reading them I had such a greater understanding of the whole series. There are so many cool details in the books and gosh these books are just the best. I think I enjoyed this series 10X more after reading the books.

The show is only a good adaption of an amazing series of novels. I read the books only after S3, but have planned to do so since mid season one. The only reason I was reluctant that long was 'cause I knew once I start it's gonna eat a month of my free time. I rarely take things lightly :D

And yes, it's worth it and I'm really glad I did that. I also gained much more respect for the show. Only when reading all those thousands of pages with hundreds of characters you realize how good D&D and the people at HBO really are. Of course, you will see new faults in the show and things they could have done better, but in the of the day it's really hard and unfair to ask for a better adaptation.

If you really don't want to get spoiled for S4, you can always read up to mid ASOS as posters above suggested. You can also read The Tales of Dunk and Egg, I highly recommend those.

Read the books but don't read beyond where you've got to in the show otherwise you may end up a disillusioned book purist like me, i.e. so far read A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings and the first volume of A Storm of Swords but no further. That way when you watch the show you won't be comparing it to the books and thinking 'yeah it's great n all but I wish this was different etc. etc.'

You must have serious self control...

Read the books...for one thing that the show can't give you is the inner monologue that goes on inside the characters head....for instance in book 1 when Tyrion is having dinner with his father and his war council.....the thought pops into his mind on how his father would look if he poured a goblet of wine over his head....it was pretty hysterical in the context of such a serious scene.....so in reading the books you get a far more in depth look into the characters mind that you can never get from the TV show....

My honest advice would be to wait until the show has finished, then read the book series as a kind of director's cut. The extra character development and depth, the added characters and locations, the added history and lore, and this is to say nothing of all the differences. I very much look at the show and the book series as separate entities, and think both are fantastic (the books obviously much more so, due to the sheer scale, though there are certain aspects of the show that I prefer), but I think the experience of watching the show completely unspoiled with your friends would be worth waiting to experience all that. Then, after you've finished the book series, you could go back and do a re-watch of the show again, and see all the ways in which it differed in a new light.

I would definitely advise reading the books first. Martin's story is a great one, but the reality of television is that it can never convey a story in quite the same amount of depth and richness. My personal grievances about how the show has adapted the story aside, that's simply always going to be the case with any adaptation. If you watch the show first, you'll be spoiling the richer of the two products with the more shallow version.

You've got to decide which one you want to spoil and personally I think you'd lose more spoiling the books, so read them first imo. :)

I would definitely advise reading the books first. Martin's story is a great one, but the reality of television is that it can never convey a story in quite the same amount of depth and richness. My personal grievances about how the show has adapted the story aside, that's simply always going to be the case with any adaptation. If you watch the show first, you'll be spoiling the richer of the two products with the more shallow version.

You've got to decide which one you want to spoil and personally I think you'd lose more spoiling the books, so read them first imo. :)

I think it would be better if he watched the show first for the exact same reason. If you watch the show after having read the books, you won't learn new information (excluding changes, of course). You just see the same stuff in another medium. If you read the books after having watched the show, you are not just seeing the same stuff in another medium, but also learning new information. The gain and entertainment is much greater that way IMHO. You get the best of both versions.

I think it would be better if he watched the show first for the exact same reason. If you watch the show after having read the books, you won't learn new information (excluding changes, of course). You just see the same stuff in another medium. If you read the books after having watched the show, you are not just seeing the same stuff in another medium, but also learning new information. The gain and entertainment is much greater that way IMHO. You get the best of both versions.

It's each to their own I guess. I personally would much rather have the plot revealed on page through Martin's writing than onscreen through D+D's writing.

It's all just a matter of which is more important to you OP. If you're looking to really get into the nitty-gritty of the series then definitely read the books first. If you just want to read them out of a vague curiosity due to your love of the show - it'd probably be best to wait.

It is pretty likely imo that reading the books will make you more critical of the show, which can be positive depending on how you look at it - it's good to have a keen critical eye. But yeah it could also be negative.

I just wanted to get your opinions. I'm caught up with the entire series and in waiting for the 4th season to come out, I've thought about picking up the books.

Here's the conundrum. It has become a routine with a bunch of my friends to all sit down and watch the show every week. I'm not sure if gaining outside knowledge about the characters that you can only get from the book will ruin that experience. They all enjoy the show but are adamant about only watching the shows, not reading the books.

I guess what I'm looking for is cases of individuals who started watching the series before reading the books and whether the extra details were worth it or if you wished that you would've just kept watching the show only.

I'd say that perhaps about a fourth of the people on this forum saw the show before reading the books (me included). They are truly awesome, and I recommend them for everyone.

I started reading the books after the 1st two seasons and couldn't put them down....all of Neds dream sequences were left out of tv show.... and quite honestly.....HBO doesn't have the budget to portray all the major battles that take place over the series....would have loved to have seen the battle of whispering wood and the battle of the Fists against the others.....even Tyrions battle at the green fork....

Archived