Which religion from ASOIAF would you take yourself?

A Bastard King

None. I can't imagine any version of myself that was superstitious. Unless I was brain-damaged to the point that I'd be a different person.

Seriously, if you lived in a world where there were gods who visibly gave people magical powers, you'd still be an atheist? There's a difference between being a free-thinker and being just as dogmatic as a fundy.

Or are you just saying that you don't have enough imagination to contemplate what it would be like to live in such a world? In which case, what do you get out of reading fantasy novels?

I would follow the Old Gods. They seem rather peaceful and simple and don't have any those rituals/pageantry/institutions that are known to corrode and lose meaning over time.

Except for the human blood and entrails stuff, and their mutated trees with screaming demonic faces, they seem really nice and peaceful.

Seriously, if you lived in a world where there were gods who visibly gave people magical powers, you'd still be an atheist?

Man calls that Flat Earth Atheism.

And yes, the red priests and greenseers do posses some power, but so far we have been given no reason to think that it comes from gods rather than themselves.

No votes for the Great Stallion?

Other gods nobody's mentioned:

• Missandei's people: The Lord of Harmony, attended by hordes of butterfly women he can make or unmake at a word, which doesn't sound nearly as bad as Dany makes out.

Braavosi: The seven separate gods mentioned in Arya's chapters that sound like precursors of The Seven. Aside from the one or more polytheistic religions they represent, and the Many-Faced, the Braavosi also have whoever the Moonsingers worship, plus the small gods of the Warrens.

Rhoynar: Mother Rhoyne, plus the Old Man of the River who fights the Crab King (which obviously inspired Gamera 2: Attack of Legion), and probably various other kaiju.

First Men: Besides the Old Gods of the North and the Drowned God and Storm God of the Iron Islands, there's the Lady of Waves and Lord of the Skies from the eastern islands. Which are probably just cheap knockoffs of the Ironmen's gods, but at least one of them's a chick.

Lazareen: The Great Shepherd, who's probably handy if you have sheep.

Ghiscari: Whoever the Graces worship. Dany has been their Queen for months and still has no idea what they believe, so it's either not all that important, or some supercool secret.

Yi-Ti: The Lion of Night. But not of the Night, as far as I know.

Qohor: The Black Goat. Obviously the Essos equivalent of the Wacken Open Air is held in Qohor.

Seriously, if you lived in a world where there were gods who visibly gave people magical powers, you'd still be an atheist? There's a difference between being a free-thinker and being just as dogmatic as a fundy.

Or are you just saying that you don't have enough imagination to contemplate what it would be like to live in such a world? In which case, what do you get out of reading fantasy novels?

There is hardly any proof that Westerosi magic comes from gods of any kind.

• Missandei's people: The Lord of Harmony, attended by hordes of butterfly women he can make or unmake at a word, which doesn't sound nearly as bad as Dany makes out.

Braavosi: The seven separate gods mentioned in Arya's chapters that sound like precursors of The Seven. Aside from the one or more polytheistic religions they represent, and the Many-Faced, the Braavosi also have whoever the Moonsingers worship, plus the small gods of the Warrens.

Rhoynar: Mother Rhoyne, plus the Old Man of the River who fights the Crab King (which obviously inspired Gamera 2: Attack of Legion), and probably various other kaiju.

First Men: Besides the Old Gods of the North and the Drowned God and Storm God of the Iron Islands, there's the Lady of Waves and Lord of the Skies from the eastern islands. Which are probably just cheap knockoffs of the Ironmen's gods, but at least one of them's a chick.

Ghiscari: Whoever the Graces worship. Dany has been their Queen for months and still has no idea what they believe, so it's either not all that important, or some supercool secret.

Qohor: The Black Goat. Obviously the Essos equivalent of the Wacken Open Air is held in Qohor.

It would be great to find out more about these, especially that Lord of Harmony, the Great Shepherd and Mother Royne.

It would be great to find out more about these, especially that Lord of Harmony, the Great Shepherd and Mother Royne.

Your crazy religion interests me. Do you have any literature?

Maybe when Dany's attempt to conquer all of Essos and Westeros turns sour, she'll be exiled to Naath with Missandei, like Napoleon on Elba, and we'll learn more about the Lord of Harmony.

Mother Rhoyne herself doesn't sound all that interesting, but the bit about a giant turtle and a giant crab fighting for dominion over all life in the sunken ships and cities? Hell yeah.

Also the gods of fertility in the summer isles.

I'm saying that in any world where magic existed, it would be subject to rules and hence a scientific study. There would be no need for any god hypotheses. In my opinion it seems that your own imagination is lacking if you do not understand or could not see that.

But thanks for the personal attacks.

Archived